New & in need of advice

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Cog Head, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Cog Head

Cog Head Member

hi all, im new here, im from the midlands area, and iv just found out that mr tax man dosent want the 4K iv saved for him, he only wants 1K, so iv got 3K to spend :D

iv been driving a E36 316i Coupe since i passed my test when i was 18, now 20 as of today :nod:
    iv riden bikes since i was 16, and now have a ducati 749s

iv got my fast bike, now i want a fast, fun car to play with.

iv always liked the 200sx s14a, but id have to fix the back end, its just plain ugly i thinks.

anyways, i want a 200sx s14a tourer, but iv noticed most the nice cars with low miles are autos, i know they can be changed ealily, but at what cost?
    and with the manual cars iv been looking at, they all seem to have 100K+ on the clock, i dont know if there anything like bmw engines that are supposed to get better after 100K or not, but as its a turbo engine and porbs had its arse handed to it im a bit worried about a high millage car.

so i basically want some advice on what car, what age, what millage, what sort of problems should i look out for ect ect ect...

many thanks

Brad.

2. skyprince

skyprince Active Member

Get a jap import....most are low milage 3k should get a nice one:thumbs:

3. Cog Head

Cog Head Member

if i do that will i not have to fek around with import tax and registering it as a uk car ? iv had a quick glance on used jar cars, but it just confused me a bit :S also if i import a car will it not bump the insirance rate up?

im all ears, iv only ever brought 1 car and that was from the uk and 2 years ago.

4. riks13

riks13 Member

Nah just find one that someone else imported let them do the leg work
    (god that sounds lazy) but thats the best way imo:thumbs:

5. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

Or hunt around for a car that's not had the living shit beaten out of it for years. It may be hard to believe but they do still exist. A lot of people forget that 200sx's are still one of the coupe's of choice for the middle aged and they tend to spend good money on maintenance. Although I bought my car some time after it's first set of careful owners it still hadn't been abused and that only cost me half of what you're looking at.

6. Cog Head

Cog Head Member

thanks for the replys, iv been lookig around, iv had a look see on jap used cars and heres some good cars for the money i have, but iv not taken into account the import tax and all the rest of the bolox the gov want from ya.

i deally id like a 200sx s14a, in good nick, dont mind about the odd scratch here and there (the cars are getting on a bit now) as i can offord to get the little bits sorted, the major thing for me, is rust, if its on all the gubbings like tie rods, wishbones ect... thats fine, but for the bodywork, rust is a major no go for me, wich makes it more of an expencive game.

im not after an all out kick the nuts off it every dat type car, id hopfully keep my beema and the s14 as a toy/show off car to spend my weekends and evenings tweeking and playing with... much like my bike

its just finding the car that fits the bill.

anyone know any places where such cars exist except bay, auto trader and piston heads?

Thanks
    Brad.

7. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

8. fluffposinski

fluffposinski Member

keep on the buy now bargains in the jap used car sectin get some good prices in there icluding drlivery and taxes

9. astraboy

astraboy Yer, fookin' Volvoooo!

you just got to be patient, like as been said before, 'normal' people own 200's too. Just last night I saw a mid 40's lady driving a black 14a.

When I bought mine it was after a month of looking around. Eventually I found the perfect car, owned by a middle aged guy in a sleepy village in oxford.

Just make sure you know what you want (and you sound like you do) and not settle for second best. There are still plenty of 14as about, and as the man with the cash and another car to drive away in if you don't like what you see, you can afford to be picky.
    Astraboy.