How to make tyres last when drifting?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by git-r, Jul 18, 2009.

1. git-r

git-r Member

Hi all,

I'm going to a car limits day tomorrow to do some practice and kill my tyres:smokin:

I met some of the team at the gymkhana at Brands and got some really good advice but just wanted to know if there's anything else i should know..

I'd be very grateful for any advice to make my tyres last longer:thumbs:

With my 'new' partwworn tryes should i do a few burnouts before drifting?

Would 40 psi back and 38 psi front be ok? - on a r32gtr..

anything else i should do ??

Many thanks in advance chaps:worthy:

Cheers all,
    Sam

2. Crosshatch

Crosshatch Night-Walkers

try to keep them as cool as possible, dont do burnouts, doughnuts or keep it planted when you spin etc.... try and make a little puddle somewhere if you can and run the tyres through it every other lap or so.

What ever you do, dont go drifting half arsed in an attempt to make your tyres last longer... thats just gay :p

3. astraboy

astraboy Yer, fookin' Volvoooo!

Hello mate, i think I met you at Brands, white GTR at the gymkhana right at the start? cos I'm the guy in the M3 powered E36.:thumbs:

You're going to do your tyres fairly quickly at a drift day whatever you do, its the nature of the sport, but there are a few things that you can do to make em last a little longer.

As said before, try not to spin your wheels unless you have to, so that means no wheelspins off the line, no burnouts or donuts after you're finished and yes, cooling down your tyres in a patch of water does help.

Also, if they are directional, try putting them on the opposite side of the car so the rotation is opposite what was intended. I've heard that helps.

Hope you have fun,
    astra.

4. Lex

Lex www.dwyb.co.uk

Hi Sam :wave:

Yup letting them cool between runs in the key to getting some more life out of them - that is why we had the hose at brands and always have a tyre cool down area at DWYB

If they are directional running them backwards can help prevent them delaming in chunks

For a standardish 32 your car drift really well :thumbs:

Id suggest around 32 psi front and as much as 45-50 psi in the rears - should help it from bogging down and needing to clutch kick so much

Tyre pressures are very subjective so play around a bit to see what suits you best :nod:

5. git-r

git-r Member

Thanks a lot guys!:thumbs:

Crosshatch i shall pay particular attenition to your advice about not doing any half arsed drifting! I might be out of control and spinning a lot but i certainly won't be f in about!:smokin:

Astra - was great to meet you at the gymkhana.. Was really good in the morning when it was just you and me .. i really enjoyed it but would loved to have had more time.. really like your bm.. think you should put a 316 badge on it:thumbs:

Lex - thanks once again for taking me out in my car.. I've had instructors drive it before but never experienced what you did:worthy: was so impressed how you just got in and drove the bollocks off it!!!:thumbs: so wish i could do that....
    Was great to put a face to a name that i've known on forums for years too:wave:

I've just filled it up with petrol, put the tyre pressure at 40psi all round, loaded up 2 spare wheels and a jack and given it a bloody good polish:smokin:

Can't wait!

Going to take my video camera to get some in car so i can try to work out ewhere i'm going wrong.

Cheers all,
    Sam

6. JamesVX

JamesVX Dubstepper

Have a good time, but i'm pretty much going to repeat everyone here, burnouts/donuts/wheelspins etc will easily kill your tyres, so keep these to a limit, especially with a powerful car like yours! I'm guessing your on about ModifiedLive at Brands with the Gymkhana, was a brilliant day, but not so driftable with my dads Vauxhall Vivaro :smash: saw a beautiful AE86 on the Gymkhana along with a bunch of brilliant project cars too, but back on topic - i know at Brands, there is plenty of places with Water access and plenty of places to make little puddles to cool down your rubber, but like everyone has said, keep your tyres coooooool to minimize the rubber leaving your tyres :)

I'll keep this advice for when i get my Chevette ;)

7. royal

royal S1- F.T break!

Drop your front tyre pressure to around 32psi, you'll have understeering problems otherwise. Andrew at car limits does good days and its an excellent way to learn some car control IMO. People who just go to beginner drift days and not do track stuff tend to end up clutch kicking and wanding it way to much.

Andrew will teach you more about weight shift, over/under steering and so on. Its makes for much better drifting when you understand this to begin with. You'll be going faster than at the drift days as well :)

#7 royal, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  8. MrNick

MrNick I love Ibiza!

redirect rear washer onto tyres

9. astraboy

astraboy Yer, fookin' Volvoooo!

Waay ahead of you old chap, check my project thread:thumbs:
    http://www.driftworks.com/forum/dri...s/18323-project-stealthdrift-starts-here.html
    specifically:
    14-05-07_2015.
    hope you have a nice time :)
    astraboy.

10. royal

royal S1- F.T break!

Pmsl :D

11. pictonroad

pictonroad New Member

:D lol

12. Jeek™

Jeek™ Active Member

The biggest one for a noob will be lifting when you spin out. its cool to disappear in a cloud of smoke but your tires wont thanks ya.

13. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

PAH. Keep it planted and come around again for the barriers

14. git-r

git-r Member

Thanks a lot for all the advice guys:worthy::thumbs:

Funnily enough i did get some quite amazing understeer running 40 psi at the front when it was completely waterlogged!

Another amazing coincidence was that i did 'clutch kick' a few times to start the drift :no:

I did get some vid but it's far too shit to post here!

Had a lot of fun and am sure managed some improvement:nod:

On the 1 occasion where i didn't spin or 'ziz-zag' corner, i held a drift for at least 2 secs and it felt fantastic:D It almost felt like i was in control:smokin:

Also managed to not completely destroy the tires..

Astraboy -like your project... Seems it's pretty much finished tho:thumbs:

Cheers,

Sam