harness

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Al_s13, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Al_s13

Al_s13 Member

I Have been given a harness by my uncle who is a bit of a rally driver in his spare time. He mentioned that i could bolt them to existing rear seatbelt points or the best option is to bolt a metal plate and eye centeral to the seat. Has anyone done this and where did you get the plate from? This is to be done to an s13. :thumbs:

2. Lenagh

Lenagh Active Member

I thought the route most people go is to bolt the harness onto the hole that the seat belt latch uses in the rear.

Or use of the rear strutbrace for an anchor.

3. Al_s13

Al_s13 Member

dont think the strutbrace is designed to take that kinda force in that direction. And as the seatbelt point is not centeral to the front seat it can twist the harness

4. Lenagh

Lenagh Active Member

Better tell that to everyone in here then :wack: I think those two methods are the most common lol ! :smash:

5. Al_s13

Al_s13 Member

i know the seatbelt point is common, but dont want a twisty harness. Twisty boxershorts is enough of a nightmare

6. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

I've bolted mine in using the rear seatbelt mounting points and a bar on my roll cage behind my shoulders to pull backwards rather than down.

7. Rob-S13

Rob-S13 Active Member

rear seat bolt point won't twist the harness

8. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

Didn't with mine.....

9. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

is it a 3 point of 4 point harness? (3 point has one belt going to the back, 4 point has 2)

For the back belts you can use the existing rear seatbelt mountings, but ideally you need it to be a 4 point. With a 3 point, as you have no central mounting, it'd be off to one side which is a bad thing.... If you have a 4 point, remember that you want to cross the rear belts over as they go back (left belt to right hand mounting and vice versa)
    For the front, you can use the existing front seatbelt mounts, no problem

10. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

What do people use on the front left mount? (Transmission tunnel) Mine's a bit of a :smash: :wack:

11. Al_s13

Al_s13 Member

12. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm sure I've used the hole for the seat mount on that side and bolted that corner of the seat in using the eye bolt, then attached the belt to the eye. Jobs a goodun :)

13. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

yeah, my custom frames that bolt through the floor, use one of the original seat mounts, and that happens to be the transmission tunnel side :rolleyes:, but I still manage to mount both the seat frame and the harness through that bolt, so it's not to big a deal :)