A bit of advice for a beginner?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by FERGUL, May 27, 2011.

1. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Not sure what you mean mate? Maybe I wasnt making sense too?

I meant on the FC, although you COULD do the usual way of using the wand to do hairpins, using the downshift method was SO much faster and more controlable than wanding it, so the handbrake was never used once I realised that.

2. Fruitbooter

Fruitbooter Member

I cant say ive ever been to a track and had a propper go no, my S15 is my first rwd car and ive only had it 8 months (and its been off the road since December for work), ive had the odd play but in all honesty I am scared of something breaking, so plan on getting a decent clutch like the coppermix, decent fluid etc mabi even a 2 way before I start hammering it.

I cba to trawl through threads atm but i remember someones box on s15oc letting go while just driving normaly...obviously what abuse was done to the box before hand is in question but still.

I bought my car to eventually drift, im not into show and shine but I was under the impression that the boxes are a real weakpoint and clutch kicking isnt going to help.

You sound like your a drift guru anyway so obviously im now on the path of correction and will clutch kick my way to work every day now as mines running not much over standard power :thumbs:

3. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

Do we have a facepalm smiley? I think I bruised my face from the gigantic sweeping, swinging facepalm i did after reading this. I'd even go as far to say I almost punched my own lights out.

4. Fruitbooter

Fruitbooter Member

And whys that? Your reply was a complete waste of time...

Theres far to many internet warriors on here.

Congratulations your above sentance gained you an extra 3 e points...

5. docwra

docwra Active Member

Ahhh, sorry man, I thought you meant the FC was much better than the Merc - when I went from Welder to 2 way I noticed a hell of a difference when slowing the car mid drift or going past 90 degrees. :thumbs:

Fruitbooter, why are you giving advice when youve never drifted? I dont go onto Parenting advice and information in your local area - Netmums and give advice about breastfeeding ........... ;)

For anyone who is interested, if you are scared of breaking your car then find another hobby - flower pressing, train spotting and embroidery are all good Im told.

If you drift at anything less than 100% then you considerably increase your chances of a large crash, you have to be committed and looking after your clutch doesnt fall into the category. :smash:

6. lozza

lozza ChickFoot FTW!

wow my sr20 box and clutch must be some reinforced uber spec beast then because ive been clutch kicking the fuck out of it for 2 years and its fine :confused:

these threads anger me. make a sticky..... learning drifting?? strap the flippin handbrake down and learn the limits without it... you shouldnt need it unless you're doing pretty fast/specific stuff

7. Fruitbooter

Fruitbooter Member

Its not like im giving advice on the techniques based on experience is it? No..I think its safe to say someone can gather knowledge and advice from the internet nowadays from looking at what other people have done and listening to their advice... and since ive done exactly this I can offer the same.

So just to clear things up as i don’t really want to argue all day, your all saying im wrong and clutch kicking wont break the gearbox? Nobody has ever suffered from a broken gearbox or dead clutch because of this?..you said earlier that if you drift you shouldn’t worry about those things...fair enough but that’s basically saying you know what your doing and you will be repair things if they break, and thats what im saying..things will break!

If you clutch kick it's only a matter of time until you will break the gearbox, or something else. People who clutch kick know this, and just accept it, I was only telling that guy so hes aware...

8. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Not when the advice you offer is bollocks.

Thats like giving advice that welded diffs will kill you, and so on and so forth the usual bullshit you hear on the internet.

9. docwra

docwra Active Member

Its only a matter of time before your car will turn to rust and blow away in the wind as well.

If you drift, same as if you race, shit will break, if you are worried about shit breaking then dont drift.

You are giving advice on Europe's (possibly the world's) leading drift resource as if you know you are right - people will come along and take this advice and they will be wrong, the same as you are.

What happened to keeping your mouth shut about stuff you dont know about? When did the whole fucking world get the right to speak on any subject as if they were an expert? :rolleyes:

If you dont drift then sit back and learn, dont try and chat about things you dont know about.

10. lozza

lozza ChickFoot FTW!

Joe Bloggs in his Audi 80 can easily break his clutch from being a douche.

Breakages are part of owning a car, not necessarily drifting. I've been drifting a fair while now and done very small amount of damage to any of my cars.

If you're worried about breaking your car, assess your driving style. Using weight shift etc and not smashing into gears on downshift will help take SOME strain off when drifting. But you're basically using a car designed for social/commuting etc to go sideways in, some things are going to break.

11. angrydan

angrydan raaage

Fruitbooter thats enough of ur knowledge now please

for the op read docs advice thats as sound advice as ur going to get dude!!

Just go to santa pod ask one of the instructers to have a quick go in ur car to make sure its ok to slide then ask them to give u a small demo of whats need to start a CONTROLLED slide in the slower areas then get ya bum in the seat and learn and enjoy man

12. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

I'm sorry, if you wanted a proper reply, you should have posted a proper post.

As you posted complete arse dribble, so did I.

13. Fruitbooter

Fruitbooter Member

I am trying to learn, I was under the impression from reading countless threads that clutch kicking, fitting a nice twin plate clutch and hammering it etc will break boxes...

Im sorry if ive angerd people but thats what I honestly thought, at least I know im wrong now.

And drifting is something im interested in and intend to do, thats why I signed up here and thats why I got myself a car ive always wanted...I plan to use it properly and I wont be scared of breaking things I was just saying that I thought they would.

14. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

No. Boxes break when you run a jillion horsepower, and do 3rd gear clutch kicks at 3mph.

Mentioning no names :p

15. docwra

docwra Active Member

Then stop trying to teach. :thumbs:

16. FERGUL

FERGUL Member

Cheers dude I will be doing it makes sense. Never realised that It would cause a debate :Wack:

17. Ballbag

Ballbag Member

LOL :thumbs: Classic.

18. phil180sx

phil180sx Member

You do realise this is motorsport themed forum:confused:

This guy said to me going back, what makes a good car, is a car that does 70k on a set of tires, i laughed, an said, No, thats what makes a slow car

Of course clutch kicking all the time isnt going to help, nor is over heated warped brake disks / worn pads / tires / wheel bearings / blown engines / buckled tension rods / control arms / wheels / leaking dampers / etc:

when that guy said, it'll be fine:thumbs: he doesn't mean for the next 80.000-miles over the next 10-20 years doing the school run....its a driftcar.... FFS:rolleyes::wack::confused:

my sr boxes went....cuz i was running a 700hp rated ORC clutch & lightened flywheel with 390hp, & 10.5j rear wheels, an i'm a Noob drifter:wack::D ........A stock clutch & 260hp your fine..lol... Unless your box is Old or unmaintained, your go through a couple of clutchs before your box...

Its torque and inertia that does the damage:rolleyes:.....A low powered N/A car like my ae86 Unless your box is raped, or your running a paddle clutch.......... your be fine... hehe:p:wack:

I'm a noob, I ask alot of questions..........in places i wont get raped.........Do the same an your learn more........:D

19. JohnJ

JohnJ Active Member

You're funny.

My S14 is 370 at the wheels, I've been kicking hell out of it in that form for 2 years or more, twice a month at my own events and more if I do Mallory or something. I have a slight whine when in neutral from a stock box that has been in it since it came from Japan with stock power 4 years ago.

I wish people would talk from experience not hearsay.

20. Colonel K

Colonel K Active Member

Yeah stop the box paranoia. The sennys box had weak synchros when I started and I clutch kicked / shift locked the shit out of it for ages. Ok its got no synchro on 3rd now, but even with crunching gears everytime it still goes and this is on a supposedly "weak" gearbox.

Ill add another vote to the leave the wand alone until you've mastered other stuff box :thumbs: