A four door 86? (sort of)

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Edmard, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Edmard

Edmard Member

Creating a build thread here for this because I was going to make a video series but lost motivation and tbh I find my vlogging skills pretty cringy.

For my first post here though I will have a current status for the car:

Latest (nice) Picture
    D9KxM3t.

Current bits done:
    Stopped the brakes from being poo
    Interior Clean out and scrub-up of the dash
    Purchased some Riverside R101s and sent them straight off for restoration
    Fixed the diff
    Purchased some Pioneers
    Purchased a motorFix Beams swap kit
    Got an LSD
    Got it on the road with some nice new tyres
    Got a new Air Filter

• Like Like x 1
  2. Edmard

Edmard Member

Buying the car:

After a run in with one of the concrete blocks at pod in my Beams Swapped IS200 I decided that I didnt want to (a) drive through massive potholes too fast while going sideways anymore and (b) own my stinky IS200 anymore.

Something that I had found out about that really caught my eye was this speedhunters article. From that moment I knew the A63 Carina was the right car for me, it was small and light with the honest handling characteristics that I really wanted as well as being 4 door and also relatively lesser known so was not impacted nearly as much by the rising prices of popular JDM cars.

Issue now was finding one. There was a grand total of about 3 for sale when I was looking. One of which was in the UK already!
    Up in Leeds there is one (probably still there tbh) which I went to see. Its a TA63 so has the Turbo lump in it which was top spec so seemed to be pretty enticing. It also had some wicked wheels and was sitting low so I knew there was a lot done to it already.
    However, upon looking at it, it was actually a bit of a heap. They wanted about £4k more money than the clean one I had found in Japan and it was a hell of a lot more rusty and was nowhere near passing a legit MoT... not what I was after. Was great to see one in the flesh though, deffo confirmed I was on the right track as the car had so much presence and even with just some wheels and suspension it looked great.

So back to my search I went and I found a listing online through Japanese Used Cars, here are some pics from the listing.
    HWg5cjB. FFV2hoQ. wcyE2xf. BhGpsJ2.

After seeing the boot lid condition I could see why it was the cheaper of the ones I had found. I think a cracked dash is almost a given with these unless you get very lucky and I was up for trying to re-cover it. Wasn't 100% keen on the blue interior but after seeing how clean it was underneath from some further pictures I thought it would be a good buy.

Seeing as the car was up for well under my budget, leaving me with enough to spend on it to make it perfect, I decided to go for it.
    One thing I did enquire about with the importer was whether I could try and find a new boot-lid to have fitted before it comes over. This is where I found out that it actually had a new one already and there were no further costs! Result!

So here are the pics of it right before it went on a boat to englandshire:
    EbaH1lz. c2oCpfs. Zkj8h6Q. GgeBE9B.

As you probably know, months then passed and I waited patiently.
    Finally the car arrived in early March and I went down with my mate to get it literally as soon as I could:
    5PILsRK. VVKqeIF.
    Going down to the docks in a GZ20 to get an AA63, deffo a cool moment.
    80s bros were looking good together.

On the way home we stopped by a Halfords for a new battery because it was not holding up at all. We also had to bleed the brakes because it failed to have any form of brakes several times during the first leg of the journey.
    However after that bleed they were pretty good and I made it to the MoT station without any issue and it passed with only a few minor issues.

voApqnh.

Home safe and sound, it was time to get to work and get the registration sorted with the DVLA...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Edmard

Edmard Member

So literally the day after sending off the Registration application to the DVLA the UK went into lockdown and what I could do with the car was mostly on hold.

Despite this I still got out and the first thing I did was address the brake issue that I had when I was on my way home from the docks.
    When we were parked up in the halfords car park we noticed that the front left bleed nipple was wet and sure enough even after sitting on the drive for a while it was once again wet all over indicating the loss of pressure was thanks to that bleed nipple.

Thankfully sorting them out was not hard at all.
    I actually already had a set of spares from when I used to own an AW11 MR2 and seeing as we had already loosened it before to bleed it in the halfords car park, the old bleed nipples were not hard to work with either.
    Letting the brakes bleed a bit as I went and doing one side after the other, I swapped the nipples on both the front calipers and after a test by just checking how much better the pedal felt I was satisfied. Unfortunately having a go on the road was not allowed just yet.

As I was already taking wheels off I also took the opportunity to see how the rear wheels looked on the front, as the rear pair are a much stronger set being 8J -7 while the fronts I think are only a 7J and also kinda weak offset on top.
    Here is a quick pic from a video I shot of me trying it out.
    zyzK8FE.

So yeah I deffo needed to get the weaker pair re-built with some stronger lips to try and achieve a more square setup.

However one problem with that is that getting that done does take quite a while and I dont have any other wheels to use on the car while I'm getting that done.
    So I went wheel shopping :)

After browsing all over I finally managed to come across a very nice russian man who seems to have hoarded many vintage wheels from Japan and he just so happened to have a pair of Riversides that were a pretty good size for what I needed.
    xhsr8bQ. jGMFAGD. q7xWomo.
    certainly not the greatest out there but for such a good size at the price they were, I had to grab them before someone else did.

Pretty much as soon as they landed I had them in the hands of the magical wheel reviver, Mr. Fyse Fyson. Lets just say, I was a bit chuffed when I got them back.
    hAvUedi.

Anyways, there was more to do during lockdown! On to the next part...

so shiny...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Edmard

Edmard Member

Actually while the wheels were being refurbished I got on with having a poke around the interior and getting to know what I needed to do to it.

There were a couple of problems interior wise that I need to address:
    1. Both the passenger side doors are stuck shut.
    2. The dash is mullered.
    3. Some of the plastics inside have also sun damaged to the point of disintegration
    4. The seats are like sitting on a bouncy ball

At this point my main focus was point 1. I needed to be able to open the rear doors.

Pulling up on the inside lock was having no luck, using the key was pointless and the door handles are super stiff. I think the car was stored in such a way that one side was in the sun or in a bush or something, really weird.
    Luckily seing as the car is so old I was able to mostly dismantle the door cards without the doors being opened. Definitely not something you would be able to do on a modern car.
    h8TF6gq.
    I took off the arm rest and there was a section there that I could poke my ratchet into and just poke the mechanism with through the hole. After rattling around in there a bit and pulling on the door lock at the top I was able to unlock the door.
    After pulling it up and down a few times it was good as new, seems like it had just not been used in a very long time.

It was a similar story with the rear door but a bit more difficult because I couldnt get anywhere near the mechanism through any holes in the door card and I couldnt get the door card off at all as its a bit tighter in the rear.
    I managed to get my fingers in behind the handle and give the mechanism there a nudge but not being right next to the latch like I was in the front made it near impossible to make any difference to it.
    I ended up leaving it that day and coming back the day after, which for some reason made all the difference because it opened right away!
    Like I said, it obviously had not been opened in a long time, but now it was just fine and after a couple of uses it was like there was never any problem at all.

While I was there doing the doors I also took the dash off.
    The first thing I uncovered was that it had some old school looking Alpine speakers in it! pGzIr26.
    tbh they look a bit battered and I couldnt try them out as the car has no radio but hey ho, someone at some point in time did an upgrade XD

Anyways so after basically just pulling on bits of the dashboard and undoing whatever I thought might be in the way I finally got it out.
    Probably making much more of a meal of it than I needed to but I had no idea what I was supposed to take out first or last so was just seeing where my eyes took me and struggled until it was out.
    After I had taken the dash out along with probably a few other things I didnt need to take off but did anyways, the poor car looked like a bomb had gone off inside it.
    6w1OOqw. RfiKUIU.

However the dashboard was absolutely filthy, I didnt fully realise until I took it off but it has had some sort of glue all over it in a past life which was left on there and just turned into a gooey residue that had years of grime in it.
    MY0mSrA.

The pictures dont really do it justice, it was properly rank.
    I did find something cool out though.
    There are lots of white plaster-like stuck on strips all over it. Turns out these are the leftovers of some doublesided tape that was used to hold on a cover the dash had in a previous life...
    Y5LnHEV.

Red Velvet!
    rLBJHZa.
    This small bit of fabric was still stuck to the dash in between the side of it and the passenger side door.
    I guess that it was all ripped off at some point but they couldnt get this bit out because the door wouldnt open so they just left it.
    Mental, whoever had my car previously has some weird taste in interior styling...

Anyways with the dash all cleaned up I was free to make a template from it so that I could think about what to do next, I could get vinyl but honestly that was a lot more work than I thought I could do at the time so I figured I would make a template so that i could make a Dash Cover for it for the mean time until I can get to restoring it completely.

So I spent an evening making a card template while watching some telly.
    Was kind of fun :)
    FTY51id.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Edmard

Edmard Member

Ok so by now it had been three months without the registration paperwork back from the DVLA, I was getting pretty depressed about the car and my documentation of what I was up to went to basically nothing.

So there is a bit of a jump here where I did almost nothing and took zero pictures.

I managed to get the diff out and find what part I needed to make it work.

When I got to the MoT station after picking it up from the port we noticed the fuel tank was covered in oil. Turns out one of the stub shafts was coming loose out of the diff and letting out small amounts of oil all the time I had been driving it. Not good.

After taking out the diff and inspecting it, I found that it was actually missing a snap ring. In this diff they are more like a c-clip than a snap ring, here is a picture:
    oxJgana.

So I had to get a new one of these.
    Not the easiest thing in lockdown but turns out that the Toyota Rav4 had the same diff in the front of it as my car has in the back! Nuts right?
    The snap ring was a match so I could get a brand new one from my local dealer which they very kindly hand delivered to my door as they were actually shut to customers due to lockdown.

I didnt take any further pics but I put the diff back together and got it back in the car after many procrastinations.

During this time I also did a bit more buying.
    I got the car for cheaper than I was planning to so I decided that the rest of the money I took out could be put to use making it awesome.
    I have a beams sat in my IS200 that was not being used to it's full potential so why not put it in the carina? For the cost of getting it in there I could actually have more power than I could ever get out of the 4AGE it currently has...

So research was made over many nights and enquiries were put out there.

In the end what I managed to find was pretty sweet.
    I was browsing yahoo auctions for AA63 parts just to see what I could find that would be good, and what do I find? A Beams 3SGE swap kit being advertised by none-other than the legends that are MotorFix!
    If you dont recognise that name then maybe you recognise this?
    AY0F1504.
    They are known for putting cool engines in corollas but I never knew they were also into carinas!
    Here is a cool video you should deffo watch about them...

After trying and failing to contact them through their website and facebook page, I did what I should have done in the first place and contacted BuyNowJapan to get in touch with them and get an order in for me for the full kit.
    Sure enough they were able to sort me out and a kit was made up and shipped to me within 2 weeks!

Oh and I might have also bought a pair of Pioneers of the auctions too...
    Rx26WS4. fad8qZb. glGL1eI. 0Gw30DD.

The quality of this swap kit is just unreal, and it has everything. Shifter relocation, clutch master relocation, brand new propshaft thats the right length, engine mounts, gearbox mounts and probably a few other things I forgot about. So awesome.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Edmard

Edmard Member

So this brings me to where I am at now...

I did one more buy, a pair of rear shafts and the rear diff from a ST185 Celica, turns out they were the same diff from factory as mine but they also came with an LSD on the GT Four.
    Sure enough, a t-series torsen...
    hO6DlUc.
    Should do the trick for me!
    I'll fit that in due corse but by this time the DVLA had finally got off their asses and sent through the V5!
    As quick as I could I ordered a set of plates and a set of tyres so that I could get the car on the road and finally drive it! It had been on the drive for almost 4 months now and I didnt care what it took to get it going.

upErveY.
    QO4sCaR. 1iOdZ9O.

I took the wheels round to a mates work place to get the tyres on and then finally got the riversides on the car, they are the best wheels I have ever owned I reckon...

Also did a bit of lowering on the front as the car had actually been sat really high this whole time.

Only thing left to do was give it a clean and get it somewhere nice-ish to take a few pics...

yB2r9Lp. T5TCkFG. H4dLMrh. nEMqDPT. bO3apaJ. 61gATUz.

And thats pretty much it so far.

Currently talking to yellowspeed about getting some new front shocks as the ones on there are very dead resulting in a bouncy ride that is frankly scary once you go over 60mph. Also going to have a look at getting some adjustable height rear springs as BC sells a set that should fit.
    Also getting some plans in for getting it in to Abbey Motorsport to get the engine swap done some time probably in september.

Will also be thinking about getting something sorted for the interior audio. I have a pioneer headunit that should fit but god knows what mess the japs have left me inside this thing.

More to come, hopefully I remember this thread exists next time I do some work on the car.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Edmard

Edmard Member

Didnt really do anything this weekend apart from selling old bits from my Lexus Altezza.

Did get the car down to a local spot for some pics tho. Would never get away with parking my car in these spots before, but now I have something old everyone thinks I'm great, I guess shagged loud drift cars are not as nice as a classic nobody has ever heard of.

IKmHW6Q.
    Ca3fXso.
    8GmF4KX.

• Like Like x 1
  8. theholty

theholty OH NOES

Awsome, I love these cars!

I had a good look around the blue one at MotorHub too, like you say it should have been a 5k car not 9k or whatever they were asking. It's gone now though, I wonder whats happened to it.

Keep up the good work, I'm sure you'll get most of the cost of the beams swap back from selling the 4ag and T50 to one of us AE86 lot.