a NEW england e36

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by jayjaypea, Jun 19, 2013.

1. jayjaypea

jayjaypea New Member

Name is Justin, I'm from eastern Massachusetts. Truth be told, I've never made any kind of build thread, or really worked on a car much beyond the simple stuff up until a couple weeks ago. I have been working on some old mopeds and motorcycles for a couple years (Yamaha, Puch, Motobecane, Garelli, etc), and got interested in drifting a little under 2 years ago, and have been itching to get some seat time for myself. I had a rwd car already, but didn't feel like banging it up.
    [​IMG]

So instead I've been looking around for a beater car to get some experience in. s13, s14, rx-7; looked for all of them, they were all either really nice and really expensive, or cheap and rotted out (one of the downfalls of living in massachusetts). So I finally found a happy medium between cheap and drivable, and settled on this.

[​IMG]

1993 BMW 325is. $900. The rust came free. engine/tranny have about 140k, body has about 288k. I really think I'm the end of the line for this car haha Unfortunately, as I was driving it home, stupid me didn't close the hood all the way and it flew open while I was driving it, bending it real nice and cracking the windshield. But its never gonna look pretty, its gonna get beat on, and if it last me a year I'll be happy. PO replaced a bunch of the front suspension bits, which is always good. Tires were decent. clutch seems all right. Revs are a little slow to come back down, which is annoying, but I'll see if I can get that fixed. A complete, if a bit dirty, interior. The biggest concern is the rust, but I'm gonna use it as an excuse to improve on the minimal welding experience that i have.

[​IMG]
    yummy

[​IMG]
    oh well luckily that's just on the fender, I got a new one of those waiting to go on...

[​IMG]
    ahhh... not so much...

So I got cracking on it, pulled the hood, fenders, etc off the front of the car, as I needed to replace the thermostat and water pump, and wanted to delete the ac as the compressor was quite beyond repair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Much cleaner with the a/c gone, imo. I'm a big proponent of the minimilistic approach when it comes to this kind of stuff, plus it makes working in there easier. And thats where it stands right now. Hopefully making this thread will motivate me to keep my ass in gear and work on it. I'd like to take it to at least one event by the end of the summer, so I have a tangible goal.
    Next steps: buy a welder, fix the body to the best of my ability, buy a new windshield, get a welded diff, cheapo coilovers, and see if I can get this sorry hunk of metal sideways for the remainder of its life.

2. rover

rover Guest

Just weld new side sills in....

3. jayjaypea

jayjaypea New Member

That's exactly what I'm gonna do. Plus I have some side skirts I got from a junk yard, so I can use those to hide my shitty welding.

Drift event on July 26th, gonna make that a tentative goal to get out there and try to get some track time.