ABS or No ABS...That is the question??

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by BHPSeeker, Oct 28, 2013.

Tags:
?

ABS or No ABS

1. ABS

25.0%
  2. No ABS

75.0%
  1. BHPSeeker

BHPSeeker Member

Probably a common question but one that doesn't pop up on any search's...

Currently rebuilding my RB25 for my S14A and my mate the mechanic recons i should rip out the ABS unit and pipe it directly, what does everyone think?? It will be mainly road with track days in mind, which is my arguement for keeping the ABS however he says its much simpler just to trash it off...

Opinions welcome!!

2. FireStorm999

FireStorm999 Active Member

Have u ever used it? Ie does it cut in a lot?

Its pretty scary locking up and having to take ur foot off the brake when u know u need to stop only to have to re-apply them again.

Ive had the odd situation where ive applied the brakes on a corner because someone has cut me up only to find myself heading straight as the brakes have locked on some wet leaves etc.

Once ur used to it its fine but be aware u dont have it rather than just expecting to be able to hit the brakes as hard as u like in any situation lol

3. sx-si

sx-si anti-copy parts

On a road car i would keep it if it still works

4. BHPSeeker

BHPSeeker Member

Firestorm, thats pretty much my thoughts exactly...I would rather have it and know its there my mate keeps bleeting on about ABS is cheating etc, but at least with it in I wont be going straight on in a pile of smike like he will be!

sx-si, you tell me its going in that green 14A shell i picked up off you a month or so ago!! :thumbs:

5. docwra

docwra Active Member

On a drift car you need to have some way of disabling it, ABS doesnt work when you are going backwards. Finding that out for yourself is scary, trust me.

6. Trystan19

Trystan19 Member

7. crazyae86

crazyae86 Well-Known Member

for race no street only if works ok

8. Jites

Jites Active Member

I really dont like abs, use to cut in on the 14 way before the tyres were going to slide, much prefer it without and i use the car on the road and track but personal preference.

9. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

It's shite. Get rid.
    If it's a road car just pull the fuse though, for insurance purposes.

10. Trystan19

Trystan19 Member

thats what ive done for time being lol, but i need to sort it out and remove completely :)

11. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

as above. get rid. doesnt work when going backwards which can really hurt. nissan units are pretty shit anyway.

12. 500

500 New Member

I'd say keep it for the road, bin it if it was just for the track.

13. Danno

Danno Member

Without.

14. Daddy_D

Daddy_D D1 street king

ABS always cuts too early for me on most cars I've tried. Prefer without. Besides if you get code brown, you really have better chance of not braking at all and using skills to avoid the obstacle. There use to be some video on Best Motoring / Hot Version of Tsuchiya showing people how to brake in cars with no abs. Few lads were going in their cars and trying it out, simply trying to simulate ABS by twitching their foot and not fully taking it off the pedal. All of them got shorter braking distances

Another thing is, removing the ABS pump compared to removing the fuse will sort of improve on the braking feel, not to mention installing a hydro. Kinda like fitting braided hoses, less mushy and more pronounced braking. Or maybe I'm imagining things when I did mine.

#14 Daddy_D, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  15. BHPSeeker

BHPSeeker Member

Decisions, Decisions!!

Removing it would create more of a 'driver' experience, but does anyone know if the insurance would be voided or anyone had any issues with removing it??

16. spaniel

spaniel bigballs small brain

Keep it for road use, if you have an accident and your insurance find out then your screwed and getting a smashed up car delivered on your drive way (i work in salvage yard)
    Pull the fuse on track :)