Adjustable exhaust noise type thing??

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by NIcad7, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Captain Muppet

Captain Muppet Pro-tard

There are two issues:

1 - quiet on road, loud on track. If you just want to avoid getting pulled by the police/annoying your neighbours/going deaf on your commute then you can live with a backpressure increase because you don't need full power passing the police/pulling out of your driveway/stuck in traffic.

2 - quiet on road, loud on track unless the track has a noise limit, in which case quiet on track too. You need more silencer volume to reduce noise without reducing power - there is no magic device that will help. And if you can make the power without the noise - why would you want the noise?

2. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle In Safe Hands

That's the biggest problem i have on the FD. There really is feck all room underneath it for big ass silencers. 9kg is heavy, but not exactly the end of the world.

3. DetroitDrift

DetroitDrift Member

well you can polish it and round the edges, but then it wont seal so good when its closed, and compared to the 3 inch muffler opening it would still be a pretty sharp edge in the middle of the pipe no matter how much you polish it. AND RULE NUMBER ONE REGARDING FLOW IS , NO SHARP EDGES

i know people say they want to build car that they can drive everyday and then take to the track for full out peddle to the metal fun. but IMO you can have a daily or you can have a track car. if you want something in between then the small power losses here and there shouldn't really matter to you.

besides there are many good brand low noise systems out there that flow very well indeed,,, but most of these noise canceling systems cost big bucks.

4. NIcad7

NIcad7 DRIFT*DIVISION

If its just a case of small power issues im not bothered. Mine will be going onto an NA car so a little back pressure wont hurt ;)