Advice before I build...

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by doninphi, Dec 23, 2014.

1. doninphi

doninphi Member

Right, I'm going to build myself an RC drift car, now being that I've used buggy cars and boats for a long time but with nothing other than amateur use I know a bit, but nothing about drift chassis design.

when I say building, I'll put pics up as I go in another thread, but basically I'm making the car from old buggies, a 4wd car, of which i don't know the brand, possibly a tamia, and bit from my 80's buggies, I had two mardave meteors!!

So the plan is to use the mardave motor mount and diff as the centre diff, then use the tamia front and rear diffs and hubs.

The suspension will be either the tamia or mardave, I don't care which.

so questions:
    How much suspension to drift rc realistically need? Could you get away with chassis suspension like stock cars have? Or better to have independent?
    If I do to independent I'm guessing the setup needs to be pretty hard?
    Would you lock out the rear diff completely and leave the front open?
    I could save myself an amass of hassle and go 2wd, but I hear as a learner they are really hard to drive?

I have enough parts to probably make a 4wd car and a 2wd later on if I enjoy it.

I doubt I'll ever compete, this is just for fun. I've ordered some drift wheels for the setup so I can make it fit the shell bang on. the chassis will be made of hardened ally and cut to shape. The rest of the parts will be a mash up and custom made by me in either steel, hardened ally or rapid prototyped if I really need to. :)

2. Onzatrip

Onzatrip Member

To be honest bud, What it seems is that you will have to much hassle with this in my eyes, best thing to do to be honest is look for a second hand MST ms01d rtr, they are cheap and will get you to grips with all the basics and more of RC drift

3. doninphi

doninphi Member

Nope. Not my thing. As a hobby I enjoy making things, and with a young family any spare money I have goes on my soarer, not a toy. So it's budget fun all the way.

All I need are wheels and a shell.

Never know... I might fluke a diamond car! Lol