Ae86 intermittent starting problems

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Sab ef, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Sab ef

Sab ef New Member

Hi, I was a wondering if anyone could help. I’ve got a problem with my ae86 4age. It’s got this intermittent starting problem. Some times it’ll fire straight away. Other times it’ll struggle to fire up. And some times when it’s fire up as soon as you press the accelerator it’s switches off. Checked earths they seem ok. I’ve borrowed a friend coil and module and it’s still doing the same thing. Could it be the fuel pump playing up?? What could it be?

Thanks

2. Irishtwincam

Irishtwincam Tá me sasta :D

Google how to run the built in diagnostic t1/e1 terminal magic.
    Reply with the error codes and we can take it from there.

3. Sab ef

Sab ef New Member

According to engine check lights

6 blinks
    Pause then
    10 blinks

4. Irishtwincam

Irishtwincam Tá me sasta :D

Sorry for the late reply.
    https://www.troublecodes.net/toyota/

6 means ecu can't see the Ne 24 tooth signal from the distributor. Thats the crank angle sensor signal. That could be bad plug or wiring. Code 6 is terminal. Engine wont start cos ecu thinks engine is not turning so wont spark or squirt.
    Remove dizzy cap and check that it's not full of oil and that your reluctor sensor plastic covers aren't degrading and falling apart. I've seen the copper wire inside them wrap around a distributor shaft due to breakdown.

10 is no starter signal to ecu. ECU needs to know if it's idling or being cranked to fire the 5th injector on cold starts.
    Wiring probably.

It's likely someone cranked the car with dizzy disconnected and some other bits disconnected, to prime pump lets say. Ecu can remember these codes so you need to erase them from memory and the next time it fails to start do the diagnostic straight away. That will tell you whats up.

If the wiring is in good nick and unmolested.
    All earths secured properly throughout.
    Earth points un painted.
    Connectors and plugs aren't going green due to oxidisation.

Then code 6 could be quick fixed with a replacement dizzy. Code 10 will need wiring checked.

Happy christmas

#4 Irishtwincam, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020