Altezza Front Suspension Clunk Noise - Possible Culprit?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by fast_gtst, Jan 14, 2015.

1. fast_gtst

fast_gtst Member

Hi guys, my daily has developed this very very annoying clunking noise and its coming from the drivers front suspension. I can hear the noise when I am driving slow and especially if the road is shit with pot holes and bumps. I have changed the drop links, castor arm bushes and got a new suspension but the noise is still there!

Before going and changing the lower and upper ball joints and tie rod ends, I decided to have another inspection and found this. Its the tie rod end ball joint which is covered in grease. Is this normal? Lower and upper ball joints seem OK without any grease.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 fast_gtst, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  2. fast_gtst

fast_gtst Member

Anyone? Toyota in Colindale wants to charge me £850 just to change the lower ball joint and the tie rod end!!! I would be very happy if I could find out the cause without getting raped! Amazed how noone has a solid answer even though this seems like a common problem (reading from overseas forums) on Chasers and Aristos and not just Altezzas

3. stacky

stacky Family 4door drifter

lower ball joints are common on tezzas. leaking grease normally means the gaitor has slit, water has got inside and knackered the joint.
    Easy DIY replacement. part normally about 35 quid.

If that doesnt solve it then its likely worn drop links

4. twiglett

twiglett Active Member

Jack the front of the car up so the front wheels are about 5cm off the floor.
    get a lever bar or something under the wheel and lever it up while looking at the lower balljoint.
    if it moves in and out its knackered.
    also hold the wheel a 3 and 9 and rock it side to side a little bit to see if there is play in the tie rod end.

5. fast_gtst

fast_gtst Member

great help, really appreciate it. will lift it up and check that tomorrow as soon as i wake up! and hopefully get a result. cheers

6. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

ill be in town next week so will happily have a look when i pop round mate. Forgot this week!

7. fast_gtst

fast_gtst Member

hey dude. just did have a look today really puzzled. i did as twiglett suggested but everything looks solid. anyway would appreciate it if you can check it too once you come down. thursday eve is good for me.

8. fast_gtst

fast_gtst Member

hey man, i did what you suggested with Initial_j (thanks pal) and we could hear the knocking noise when moving the wheel up and down with a lever but nothing seems to be that loose. so would you recommend that i change the lower ball joint and tie rod end anyway as they are quiet cheap from euro car parts?