Another 'WTF Trans should I get?' Thread.. Dogbox/Sequential Style..

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by dale_b, Nov 1, 2013.

1. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Yo dudes..

We've been over the whole 'What box should I get' thing before..

But Dogbox & Sequential's have not been discussed..

Im looking for a 4 speed Dogbox ideally.. Something like a Hewland MVE, Jerico, Andrews, etc.. only cheaper..

Iv done a lot of searching for ex NASCAR boxes etc, but I don't really know one from the other..

Anyone got much knowledge on these and what might be a good one to look for that won't break the bank to hard.

Its going on a JZ, but don't worry about fitment, I'll figure that out.. I do want it to be able to take 650lb/ft torque though..

Discuss :thumbs:

2. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

look forward to seeing that man.. ;)

3. tinker-27

tinker-27 Member

A t56 one of the strongest boxes out there , I've ran a few different boxes , elite sequential ( complete rubbish would not last a race ), TKO 600 is not bad but third is weak . I run a t 56 at over 950 ft lb without breaking one , they normally only suffer with syncro issues with bad clutches etc . Vipers and astons use them as oe as they are strong !!

4. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Craig, I do keep thinking about a T56, but for a little more I can ship a Hewland MVE over.($2500 shipped)

I like the idea of the 4spd Dogbox over a 6 speed synco'd box.

5. tinker-27

tinker-27 Member

The problem is with most they just don't take the power or torque , look up the ratings that they quote for the box , I know from trying sequential boxes they just break !! But that is behind a v8 , the hollinger is one that is meant to be good and strong but it's £14,000 ,

6. tinker-27

tinker-27 Member

It is rated to 600 ftlb , in the listings $2500 sound cheap get one brought at that price ( or ten !!). And see if it works

7. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

Z33 cd009 box?? Or is that not what your looking for?
    That's what I intend to fit to my jz

8. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Yeah agreed, most dogboxes Iv seen forsale at a price I can afford, are usually to weak.. Which is why I thought I'd ask here.

I think Aasbo uses a Hewland MVE in the Gt86 running 800hp. So it's fairly safe to assume it'll be ok on mine. I don't expect mine to be anymore than 500-550ftlb, but a box rated to 500-550 WILL break, so need something a bit more 'man'..lol
    Nice thing about a Hewland box, is hewland are just up the road from me.. And parts are cheap if I ever need them.

It is just a bare box Iv seen forsale in the US, no shifter, bellend, clutch, prop, etc.. So I'll still have to source all the other parts to make it fit. It may even be sold now tbh, it was a week and a half ago I saw it.
    There's also a dude in Oz that's got 30 of um.. A load of different ratios etc.. He wants loads of dosh for them though and takes forever to get a response from.

Do you know much about Borg Warner Dogboxes Craig? Seen few different models forsale for around $1500 mark..

#8 dale_b, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  9. Bzh kevin

Bzh kevin Member

10. tinker-27

tinker-27 Member

Quaife have a bad rep for quality and service , dog boxes are easy to wreck if used wrong and don't like being used wrong . We had one made in the states but with syncro first and reverse so it was easy to move around pits etc . But it shit it's self after one race any way , we had a t56 converted to straight cut race box which broke a aswell !!! The std box did over 50 track days and a full season in time attack behind a 6.9l v8 . Most race boxes are designed to be maintained

11. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

As above. I'd just go syncro to be honest.

Unless you good at using a dog box, expect to wreck it learning. The amount of premature death dogboxes I've seen as the user just crunched the shit out of them constantly is nuts. The Skyline GTR lot used to do that.

My boss used to badly on his R33 with a PPG dog box. I was the only other person he allowed to drive it due to the box, but being in the car with him used to make me cringe as he used to crunch it so badly.

12. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Correct me if I'm wrong, with Dogbox you need to push/pull the lever quick and hard? Basically just smash it in quick so the gears don't grind?

These boxes they use in Nascar's must be fairly strong to last on there cars?

And quaiffe, yeah I'd take a 6spd sequential all day long, but no way can I afford one of them, unless they sponsor me and do it at less than cost price..lol

So what's the generally consensus?
    Craig, I know you say T56, What you sayin Stav?

13. Hoke Colburn

Hoke Colburn New Member

Did you resolve this issue?

14. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Yes.. 4spd H-pattern Dogbox, custom spec'd ratios.. Will let you know when it comes.. :thumbs:

15. GeorgeHampl

GeorgeHampl Member

I'll be honest with you mate but if you haven't used either of these before I can almost guarantee you it will go bang. What's wrong with 6 speed gertag?