Anyone ever heard of a Driftstang?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Dr.Drift, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Dr.Drift

Dr.Drift New Member

I'm wondering if it's possible to make my 2001 Ford Mustang a drift car it's an automatic. Now before you rip into me let's get a few things clear:
    1: I'm new to the drift scene and don't know jack about drifting or drift cars other than Nissan 240sx and Mazda RX-5 and RX-7 = drift missiles
    2: I'm doing this to my DAILY DRIVER so it has to be something I can still drive down the highway with and not spin out (I.E. welded diff is a no go.)
    3: I'm not looking to become a professional drifter just to have some fun at my local track days that's it so no crazy upgrades but just some tips and essentials so I don't end up on one of those drift fail compilations.

2. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

First of all, welcome :)

Auto isn't great but can be doable off the bat (there are videos of the Option JP guys trying it out).
    What engine is your Mustang fitted with?

Ignore the misconceptions about a welded diff = deadly killing machine. Plenty people here daily a welded diff without any issues what so ever.
    It has a tendency to make the car understeer, rather than oversteer, in low/no throttle input situations.

Otherwise, you're looking for a Limited Slip Differential.

Stick to the basics - stiffen the car up with some coilovers, make sure it's not going to overheat/throw a rod/lose a wheel by keeping it maintained and giving it a good check over before/after you do a drift day (trying to get to work/school with no car is no fun), you'll likely need a more supportive seat so you can focus on the driving and deactivate your airbags before you drift!