Anyone know about tenants rights and such?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by counteract, Apr 20, 2014.

1. counteract

counteract -o=me

Does anyone know of a tenant/landlord type forum that can answer some legal questions?

Regarding getting mugged over by a supposed friend and now landlord; main issue is we were promised that the flat we moved into at the start of March would be our own, then a week before moving in we get asked to do a couple a favour by letting them move into the spare room for a bit until they found somewhere else. Told by the landlord that they would only stay for a couple of months tops, the landlord would stick by us if we wanted them out.

Two months down the line and we are paying more than the other couple, a significant amount too, for use of our bedroom and sometimes the kitchen and bathroom. In effect we have been bullied into use of one room in a flat that's meant to be ours! Very hostile atmosphere, living room door shut so that we can't actually enter it when they are using it, we can't even use our own parking space as the other couple have two cars and insist on parking them both on a shared driveway. We have had a meeting with the landlord who has now said that they don't want to move out and want to stay too. Lots of things have been said and things have happened which the landlord just assumes that we know about, so we are left in the dark about a lot of things.

To make matters worse, an ex tenant was living in the flat rent free for two months, breaking things and blaming us, claiming that she was going to get us evicted as she didn't want us there and making our lives hell by siding with the other couple in the flat on everything. She is gone now but expects to come back in six months and everything to be the same. Not if we can do something about it.

The landlord is currently travelling in Asia so we can't even ask her if we are going to be evicted or anything until she gets back. It's quite likely to be a lie though as this ex tenant was prone to talking shit.

It may sound petty to someone reading it but we are just wanting to find out where we stand as the landlord has breached contract in a few places from what I have researched and it is breaking us down! My girlfriend hasn't slept properly in a couple of months now. Everyone around us is telling us to get out and we are going to do so, but if we are entitled to some form of compensation we would gladly take it as the amount of rent we have been paying for what we have been actually getting is an actual joke.

I don't know if we are the main tenants now and they are just lodgers because they are the secondary tenants? Thing is we all have the same contract. The spare room we were told we could sublet; now the landlord is making almost £1200 a month out of a two bed flat.... we are paying the same rent as what we would have been if the whole place was ours! It's a total joke.

Is there anyone that either knows about this sort of stuff or could point me in the right direction? It's all well and good looking on the internet, CAB site etc. but it would be even better to be able to ask some specific detailed questions and get an exact answer before we go to the CAB.

Cheers.

2. spaniel

spaniel bigballs small brain

My gf works for CAB I will get her to have a read through this later and see if she can help.

3. strawberrys14a

If that was me I would be getting the fuck out of there ASAP. The landlord is laughing all the way to the bank!

4. M3 Tim

M3 Tim Member

Stop paying your rent straight away while you try and sort your stuff out.

5. wixsy

wixsy Member

should all be in yr landlord tenant agreement. if you have signed a tenant agreement for just you and the other people are there as a favour to the landlord, just tell them to go. sounds to me like yr paying for yr landlords trip!

6. counteract

counteract -o=me

Thanks Spaniel, appreciate that. I'd have to take time off work to go to CAB round here so that would be awesome.
    Strawberry, that's the plan. And Tim, yeah I don't think we will be paying on the first! Don't care about losing our weeks deposit, it's not even worth fighting for any more.

Enquiring about another place this week, it's a lot smaller but at least it's ours and ours alone.

Insult to injury is seeing all the posh hotels that our landlord is staying in while in Thailand, spending our money!

7. counteract

counteract -o=me

Wixsy that seems it too, see above! No names at all on the contract of who's living there, plenty of other bullshit too. Need to get it checked out.

8. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Fuck that shit, I'd never let any cunt stay or share anything. Proper getting the piss taken out of you. Don't pay a penny and get the fuck out asap

9. wixsy

wixsy Member

if your name is not on yr agreement, pay no more money until it is, dont sign any agreement till it is what you want but my view is don't pay another penny, look for somewhere else, get signed up properly then move into yr new place. We rent out 24 houses and they All have a proper landlords tenancy agreement. Don't move into anywhere without one
    I

10. counteract

counteract -o=me

I can get a picture of the 'contract' we signed if you like? It's all been done privately, no letting agents.

11. oldroydsr4

oldroydsr4 Member

As above get out, life is too short to put up with that shit.

Oh and on leaving make sure you hide some fish in various hard to find places.

12. hug - lo

hug - lo Active Member

Regardless of an agent being used or not there should still have been a contract issued between you: the tenant and her: the landlord.

Legally speaking, evidence is key, so anything verbal is inadmissible in court! He said, she said unfortunately won't win a legal battle.

Personally I'd withhold payment until any and all issues are resolved whilst looking at new properties.

EDIT: Just read that your names not on the contract. If this is the case then basically you can do what you want (as long as your not fussed about your deposit) Have you any bills or anything linked to your current address? Because if you do that'd be the only legal sticking point if the landlord were to come after you for damages ect.

So to summaries:

No name on a contract and nothing tying you to the property then GTFO as soon as!

Tied to the property in someway and have evidence of other people staying there ect, still get the fuck out and request your deposit back as i'm sure the contract won't stipulate these 'other parties' just staying there ad hoc.

13. counteract

counteract -o=me

Nope, no bills. The rent has all bills included which is probably the only good bit.

We are at that point where we don't really care about losing our deposit as long as we end up somewhere we are actually happy, which would be any place but this!

Thanks for the advice everyone. Found out via Facebook today that the landlord is back from Thailand so the next chance we get we are likely to just up and leave. Fuck it, no point in trying to fight it any more!

14. rd-jon

rd-jon Member

Are you in Scotland or in England?

When you get your next place, make sure you get a standard lease. In Scotland that would probably be a Short Assured agreement (not sure about in England or Wales). Either way, this sets everything out nice and plain, and in the event of any issues arising it also makes things easier to deal with. If any landlord gives you a non-standard agreement to sign, make sure you get it looked at by a solicitor before you sign it. This will cost you a bit, but could save you in the long run. Personally, I wouldn't sign any kind of contract or agreement without getting it checked first.

15. scouse

scouse Active Member

Why not stop paying the rent and squat and pay fuck all,then let them pay to get you legally evicted
    it's not like your name's on the tenancy agreement, fuck them like they fucked you.

16. saihaynes

saihaynes Member

Yep stop paying straight away dude and get the hell out of there/terminate friendship!

17. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Another vote for not paying the rent.

Whats the landlord going to do about it, take you to court for breach of contract????

18. counteract

counteract -o=me

Don't know, don't really care either to be honest!

Got home from work today, it's like the living room is now their bedroom or something, the door's almost permanently shut.

We're waiting to hear back about a room above the pub my mrs works in so if it's a yes from the manager we will be out by the end of the week, and out by the end of the month.

At this point even if the landlord said she would kick them out it's too little too late. She will soon regret it when 60% of her rent disappears!

19. 192_Nightmare

192_Nightmare Member

As painful as it is, it's gonna have to be a learning curve, never share your house and if you do even with friends get a legal agreement. My brother got fucked over with council tax coz flat mate never paid her half and my mate brought a place with a friend and when I came to selling it he got fucked over aswell. You can never be too carful coz nothing worst than agro at home.

20. Boxertricks

Boxertricks Member

Mate, take a step back and look at the situation you find yourself in man.

The landlord has blatantly fucked you over. She doesn't care, she's holidaying on your suffering.
    The other "couple" are a pair of cunts, even if they were actually sound and its you who's the cunt, wtf would you want to share a living space with strangers? ... Especially when it's as fucked up a situation as yours and you've got your missus with you ffs.

Get the fuck out that hell hole, stop paying that bitch money for the privilege of keeping you in the mess you're in and get you and your mrs a place where there's no strings attached and the freedom of your own home.

Forget about what you've paid for now, move out and then chase it up if needed.

If for nothing else, apart from it sounding like the fucking twilight zone, you'll be able to bang your mrs where and when you want without some peev having a wank.

Sort your shit out lad.