arbs on an s14

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by ant, Oct 3, 2004.

1. ant

ant R32 GTR-S

anyone run uprated arbs on a 14 for drifting and have proper stiff coilvers ? or anyonr run adjustable whiteline ones, just curious to what you run and how you have them set,

2. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

front and rear whitelines on stiff stiff, and hks coilovers 12kg 10kg

3. ant

ant R32 GTR-S

thought so and it drove like crap with tein he's 9/7kg i think will play with it a bit more :o

4. Bon Bon

Bon Bon It'll be fine

Ant, I reckon you probably need to get the geometry properly set up, and also fit decent tyres.

But more importantly learn to drive it, your car didn't handle like shit really, I just couldn't drive it. :p It's monster oversteery with no communication of when you're on the limit, with turbo lag, and I've never ever driven a car even remotely like yours is now. It felt sweet on the better tyres though, shitty uniroyals were a very very bad idea.

5. ant

ant R32 GTR-S

you would like smoking my expensive f1's wouldnt you :smash:

6. ant

ant R32 GTR-S

i am trying to learn how to drive the thing its just a complete lack of a chance to do it :mad:

7. Bon Bon

Bon Bon It'll be fine

lol you just need a set of bigger alloys so you can run decent sized part worns stretched on the rim, I think it'd make the world of difference.

Switching from the uniroyals to the goodyears was like night and day, you couldn't drive in a straight line AT ALL on the uniroyals, it was always steering left to right at the back end.

8. ant

ant R32 GTR-S

you were lovin it tho :)

trying to sort me some nice 17's

9. Bon Bon

Bon Bon It'll be fine

lol it is hysterically fun, but also haaard work when you can't even drive in a straight line. :wack:

10. ant

ant R32 GTR-S

i will find out at the next practise as i am more used to how the car drives, it usually doesnt go in a straight line anyway :) i am used to that

11. Hates_

Hates_ Member

If the car is massivly oversteery and you want to just bring it inline a little more using the arbs, you can set the fronts to be softer then the rears so that the roll is inclined towards the front. I'm sure that was of no help to you though... :p

12. ant

ant R32 GTR-S

you could prolly run the car with no arbs atall, tein he's are that dam stiff :)

13. Bon Bon

Bon Bon It'll be fine

Erm setting the ARBs softer at the front than the rear will make it MORE oversteery, other way around will make it less.

14. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

I think a lot of jap D1 cars run stiff rear ARBs and no front one at all :)

If you're after a cheap way of doing it, 2 standard ARB's bodged together would be effective:) It's been discussed a couple of times but noone's actually done it yet.

If you're after improving your drift setup, remember the standard S14 LSD is a sack of crap....... nothing like a decent aftermarket one :no: There's a world of difference :nod:
    With the exception of Midgers :rolleyes: take a look at the top guys in the UKD1. I don't think any of them will be running a standard diff.........

15. Bon Bon

Bon Bon It'll be fine

Ant's car has a welded diff now, HE coilovers and whiteline arbs.

Trouble is it is snappy as hell, I found there just wasn't much feeling of what was going on. Whether this was due to lack of geometry/damping/rollbar/etc setup, crappy tyres I dunno. I think it might be because Ant's car is a bit laggy, and I find it hard to not drive in N/A mode (blipping the throttle, etc), but I dunno.

Just didn't feel very predictable, like I couldn't "attack" because it felt like the car wanted to bite back, probably the tyres mainly.

16. ant

ant R32 GTR-S

hence my pm james, will see if i can sort a diff, i really need some time where i can play with differant setups and change stuff and then go drift it, theres only a certain amount of things i can do while not at an event if you know what i mean :) going round in circles isnt that usefull ;)

17. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

yeah, practice and setup time is something I think we're all short of unfortunately :(

18. Matt_S

Matt_S SELLIN' UP!!!

:nod: Ill go with that too :)

19. Hates_

Hates_ Member

D'oh, I even leaned across to my friend before posting it to ask if I was thinking of my incline right, he just gave me a blank stare! Yup, roll incline towards the rear :wack: