Audi 80 Drift car feasibility

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Massier93, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Massier93

Massier93 New Member

Good Afternoon...

I've always wanted to get into drifting, and now I'm finishing my Time attack project, I have the time and the money. Unlike the normal choices of car, like the BMWs, Nissans, etc I'm going with a FWD Audi 80 Coupe.

The things that I'll do to the car:

- Remove the 2.6 V6 Auto, and put a 5 Cylinder AAN engine (around 350BHP) and manual box.
    - I'll be buying a Quattro Tubular Rear subframe to convert to RWD.
    - I'd like to keep the exterior and interior stock, except some buckets that suit the car.
    - Cage that sits nicely in the car
    - Research into different steering system, wishbones and rods etc.
    - Coilovers
    - Bash bar

What's the opinions of this project from the seasoned drifters? Are there any guides for beginners?

All help appreciated

19401840_10211207499400923_4158889492333042378_o.

2. Ramon

Ramon Member

Holy shit sweet. No tips here, I'd just like to put my hands on a car like that lol

3. scotiasx

scotiasx Active Member

Are you building this yourself or paying someone to do it?

Loads of fab work converting a fwd car to rwd. Also might need to consider changing the front subframe to relocate the rack.

4. Massier93

Massier93 New Member

Luckily this chassis from factory has the tunnel and rear subframe mounts for Quattro Spec'd ones! Which makes it slightly easier!

5. RozeTheHornet

RozeTheHornet Active Member

Please do a Build Thread!!!

6. lowanslow

lowanslow Member

just do whatever this guy is doing.

7. Boxertricks

Boxertricks Member

Sorry to sound cynical but this sounds like bullshit imagined by a dreamer that will never become reality...

If you do it then props for shifting on my pre judgement but I doubt very much that I'll see it.

Good luck

8. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Member

Why??? . . Compared to half the builds/ideas on this forum, I wouldn't even consider this one all that far-fetched.

I've made a few RWD Audi's in my time and drift one regularly... It's a surprisingly easy conversion and the Audi's skid quite well once set up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Boxertricks

Boxertricks Member

No one mentioned that it's far fetched but the fact is he's never drifted before and he's going to be converting a fwd car with a "nicely fitted cage" whilst researching steering systems etc tells me that this is just another dreamer post tbh.

People who don't chat shi t and have solid ideas don't usually ask a public forum for their opinion on if their involved project is worth doing because the simple answer would always be to buy a cheap e36 or mx5 before considering converting a fwd car no matter how easy the conversion is.

a bucket seat is last thing on the agenda of someone who has completed projects before, that's usually high on the list of people who don't from my experience.

I've been on internet forums for a long time, maybe this lad is actually going to do it and enjoy learning to drift in it, good on him if he does.

I just see it as a thought rather than a project that's actually gonna be completed though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jay-young

jay-young Active Member

Well, the thread is a year old, and I've not seen it appear?

11. ShaunV90

ShaunV90 Active Member

I was like who the fck does this Boxertricks think he is then I realised the dates of posts and he's probably right.

I would still love to have saw the build happen though.

12. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

This, the OP went and bought an E36 anyway, started taking it apart and then stopped posting altogether.

13. ShaunV90

ShaunV90 Active Member

I just had a snoop and saw that he posted about an E46 and that he wanted a nice fitting cage. The boy loves dem nice fitting cages.

• Like Like x 3