Audi S3's....?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by karlos28, Dec 23, 2013.

1. DH_

DH_ New Member

You sound like the same as me and almost want people to talk you out of something you want
    S3s bore me especially cos round my bit they're all driven by knobs.
    Wouldn't worry about FWD though as you probably know as log as there's a good chassis and fair power it'll handle well and be good fun.
    My wee fwd kicks its arse out at every roundabout when it rains so great fun in the wet but so grippy in the dry, best of both worlds!

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Not read the rest of the thread, but driven enough s3s to tell you they're very very boring and underwhelming until tuned a lot, and even then they fast but not exactly mega fun.
    S4s are the same, but faster and sound better, but no more fun really,

3. luca24

luca24 Member

Everyone's idea of fun varies, I love my RS4 to bits and have a damn sight more fun in that than I ever did in my S14! Warp speed everywhere just grips and f**ks off whilst listening to tunes through the Bose Hifi, heated seat on and A/C on keeping the moisture at bay in the passengers pants ;)
    On a serious note though the man needs to drive one as no one here knows how he drives, that understeer etc will even be noticed or just wants a smart looking comfy hack with potential. Only he can decide.

4. docwra

docwra Active Member

I dont believe Stav mentioned RS4's did he? Different prospect entirely ;)

5. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Indeed I didnt as that's way out the budget we talking here. A cheap S4 and a nice RS4 is very different.

From a performance point of view its much of a muchness tbh as all the S4s ive driven or been in have been tuned.

They're great cars at doing what they do, and understeer and shit like that is never an issue really on the road.

But with less than about 650bhp they're just not that exciting to me, really fast of course, but too in control and sensible for my liking, even compared to other 4wd cars. It's the same with all modern Audis, so refined it takes away the fun for me.

RS4s do look fucking ace though, and I'd love one if somehow I could afford to make it about 700bhp AND afford the upkeep. But I can't. So I won't, lol.

6. DriftTrikes

DriftTrikes Member

I think better Audi RS6 B6. Much space in interior, and nice comfort :)

7. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

How have you all gone from £2000 of S3, to £10-15k of 700HP RS4/6?!

An S3 is what it is, a normal hatchback with 200HP.
    It's alright in a straight line, alright in the corners. Comfy seats, good stereo, nice to be in.

8. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Good point Kam.

And for all those reasons and more, I recommend a R8 V10 with a twin turbo conversion.

9. docwra

docwra Active Member

For the record I agree with all that Stav has posted (apart from 650hp S4's, never had that pleasure), first time for everything I guess :eek: :D

10. kam

Nice daily driver.

11. luca24

luca24 Member

It was an example that's all as i'm fully aware that Audi's understeer regardless of power or how much they cost that's all I was saying, and the fact the he likes the sound and looks of an S3 which is perfectly reasonable and he isn't doing any track days in it, its just each to there own nothing more, but as usual on this site stuff gets blown well out of proportion :rolleyes:

Everyone's idea of fun varies

#51 luca24, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  12. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

No they don't, I've got a modded tt sideways plenty of times, and 4s and 6s are easier again. Or was that sarcasm, I dunno anymore.

13. luca24

luca24 Member

No it wasn't, you must have been trying very hard to get them sideways then as even Tiff needel struggled like fuck to get the RS4 sideways when it was launched. Plus im talking about driving the car properly round a track not flicking the arse out and yanking the park brake up.

Im not getting into an argument just friendly banter here with people expressing there views etc, to which I do respect yours Stav i'm fully aware your a very knowledgable chap and not stupid etc :)

What was this thread about again? :p

#53 luca24, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  14. docwra

docwra Active Member

What, the guy who struggled to drift a D1 spec Soarer and then broke the driveshaft by pulling the wand without the clutch in? No shit.

Youre talking to people who have been drifting cars for over 10 years in some cases mate, there may just be a chance they are a bit better than flicking the arse out ..........

15. luca24

luca24 Member

Youre talking to people who have been drifting cars for over 10 years in some cases mate, there may just be a chance they are a bit better than flicking the arse out ..........[/QUOTE]

Dear oh dear this is a joke! Im not talking about drifiting! I know he can drift im talking about driving a car properly there is a difference! Not trying to drift/compete a 4WD Audi.

Yeah sorry Tiff can't drive at all he made 1 mistake trying to drift a car, forget all the years he has been involved in motorsport etc :rolleyes:

#55 luca24, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  16. kam

S3 is proper tail happy, when the haldex actually locks it'll do it under power in the wet cause I've got Infinity tyres on it.

17. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

As per what Kam said, done it lots of times, in top of 2nd and 3rd gear, in a modded TT. Fuck all to do with handbrakes and gay shit like that.

And going by the power, torque, less front drive orientated transmission, and the countless videos on the internet and plenty of times I've seen it in the flesh, I'd be fairly convinced a S/RS 4/6 can happily go sideways when driven properly, deffo not understeer central all the time.

TBH anything with some power to the rear will.

In this day and age when even someone like Clarkson can drift better than Tiff it seems (he's had some lessons or watched some videos though, someone has taught Clarkson to let go of the wheel etc, nobody barring drifters do that), any of his sideways antics isn't half as impressive anyhow.

18. luca24

luca24 Member

I'd like to see something different like Audi's competing in BDC or whatever would be nice to see a change of vehicle out there as I seem very wrong and that they go sideways easily with not too many mods.
    Iv'e seen the guys at Gatebil in there Audi's and it looks fantastic! If I had the monies I would certainly love a chance of tuning a 5 cylinder and going balls out with crazy angle and speed :thumbs:

19. R5T

R5T Member

My long long long term goal ^^^ ... Just need some money's ! ..

My b4 80 is bog standard, I welded the centre diff and slapped the front shafts out, flick of the diff lock for instant sideways.

Not massively understeery, and in the wet the tail is as happy as any e36 I've seen.

All good fun ! :)

20. mint

mint touch my fruit

My mum owns a S3.. She's selling it, as even she thinks its a shit car.