B6ZE Turbo RX7 FC built on my driveway!

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Stylecase-Adam, Oct 24, 2014.

1. TiddlesRX7

TiddlesRX7 Member

You've done more on yours since you had it than I have done on mine in the last 2 years!! Man I'm a lazy ass.

The problem your having sounds like an electrical one too me. Like you say there is a shit load of things it could be. At least you have the winter to sort it out. In my expeariance with FC's it tends to be a couple of problems that make one bigger fault. Fuel pump wiring, poor earths coil packs ect are all good places to start.

2. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

Nice work! This thread is definitely not helping my urge for an FC...

3. Stylecase-Adam

Thanks balli :D
    haha thanks man! And yes I have all sorts of faults, shit idle, engine cuts out when drifting left apparently fuel pump, or fuel pump wires etc. Last owners claims to have upgraded the fuel pump, need to check it out. Then the hesitation and engine cut when 100% throttle. Really just tempted to rip the engine out and redo most of the wiring and hoses.
    Thanks mate! ;) Get one while their cheap! :thumbs:

= = = = = = =

Quick update before I go work :D

Whacked rear coilovers on in the morning, they are maxed out so I'm really feeling some smaller wheels to get it lower and them JDM retro feels ;)

[​IMG]

Face down, ass up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#23 Stylecase-Adam, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  4. mxdanny_139

mxdanny_139 Member

Looks amazing sat on its ass!!

5. TiddlesRX7

TiddlesRX7 Member

If its got an upgraded fuel pump that might be whats causeing your lumpy idle. Mine did, although I changed a few bits at the same time. Are you on the MRC forum? there is loads of info on there that helped me out.

6. TiddlesRX7

TiddlesRX7 Member

It s looking good now its lower too. Nice work :) You just need some TII side skirts that are sat in my garage now ;)

7. Stylecase-Adam

Thanks mate !
    I'll look into it man, thanks !
    hehe turbo skirts are nice, but I think I may be going for a different look. :thumbs:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Update !

Let's start with a bit of welding, I am really shit at welding these thin JDM wips and this wasn't fun at all, haha well at least there's no massive fuck off hole in there anymore. I'll underseal it and it'll be reet.

[​IMG]

Another thing I'v done was adapt these little struts I had laying about for the bonnet, got rid of the stick laying about in the engine bay. Overall, a bit cleaner now. :thumbs:

[​IMG]

The interior, I really wanted to stain my steering wheel darker. While I started with that, I also wanted a gear knob to match. Couldn't really think of anything so decided to make up my own. Here's how it started.:euge:

[​IMG]

And here's how it ended up after some shaping, staining and then finally some lacquer :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wheel turned out quite well as well, it's not as smooth as I'd like yet since the wood soaks up the lacquer into its texture. So because of that, I will flat it and lacquer it once more.

[​IMG]

And just today I have picked up a master brake cylinder for the hydro, FC handbrake is waaaank. As well as, a water temperature gauge with a little plate to mount it in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's what I ended up with today, made up the base for the hydro, adapted this lever I had laying about from a broken tool. Tomorrow, I need to slice into my 80s carpet ! :( Make up some sort of mount for it on the transmission tunnel and then finally smooth it all off and give it a lick of paint. :smash:

[​IMG]

8. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

My car competed in D1SL and MSC events, with 265 wide semi-slicks, with a stock handbrake setup and upgrated pads. FC handbrakes are more than good enough.

9. Stylecase-Adam

Guess I wasn't trying hard enough then, iv brought new pads, adjusted the cables and it wouldn't lock up at Buxton on a wet surface. Probably need brand new cables though.

10. C35Rob

C35Rob Member

this is pretty cool, I like where it's going... but that welding!!! were you in a K hole when you did it? that'll never pass an MOT

11. Stylecase-Adam

I'm learning how to weld atm, gonna have to allow them shite welds for the time being ! lmao, Ill put some anti stone chip on it, it'll be reet.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Update! 14/12/2014

Worked a bit more on the sill :D

WP_20141203_16_00_49_Pro_zpscf498156.

Meanwhile, lowered the clio a bit more. Liking that fitment more now (Y)

WP_20141206_17_11_42_Pro_zpsb062b465.

Mounted some quick release mounts for the front bumper, snapped about 12 bolts while removing it anyway. Them 80s feels.

WP_20141208_20_13_14_Pro_zps1f98669b.

Also, made up some ramps.

WP_20141209_16_12_31_Pro_zps35faef98.

Put 15s on all around, mostly because the tyres on the 18s were totally dead and I haven't got money for freshies and also I prefer the retro look of 15s. :cool:

WP_20141210_15_47_13_Pro_zpscf3c2204.

Quick interior shot, steering wheel resprayed, made up gearknob and hydro mounted.

WP_20141210_15_51_10_Pro_zpsd528004d.

Got a aftermarket temperature gauge, apparently the FC OEM ones aren't too accurate, which I have found out myself after installing that one.

WP_20141210_18_25_24_Pro_zpsfc7387f5.

Cleaned up the bumper a little, got rid of the rattle can black special.

WP_20141209_14_48_10_Pro_zps579a525f.

Also in the mean time I have done things such as wiring a new injector connector, cleaning loads of earth points etc etc To try and get rid of any hesitation issues that I'v been having at the first drift day. :)

Fast forward to today, got the car packed, filled up with fuel. Set off nice and early as there's loads of ice everywhere. The little road to the actual track was the worse, going sideways in a focus while trying to get a FC uphill was a taaask.

WP_20141214_09_02_38_Pro_zpsaeaa26b3.

Sitting nicely ;)

fasfasgasgegehh_zps2e2420c9.

Got 1 proof of slips haha, by tyre smoke photography. :)

[​IMG]

DSC_0022-1_zpsf3f66326.

Was quite happy with the progress, could nearly link the whole track by the end of the day. Engine was pretty much faultless all day too, apart from a buzzer shouting ADD COOLANT! all day loooong :mad:. hahaha

Also near the end of the day, I had the chance of following Lee in his soarer, was going quite well till we tried to do a 3 way with my mate (Chris) in his MX5. I basically got a bit too close on the first turn, tried backing off using the handbrake but it spun me round, chris by then was too close to react so long story short, he smashed his rear quarter against my front corner :wack: No biggie, just visual damage :smash: Overall though it was a sick day again! And I can't wait till 2015:thumbs:

After a little straightening so the headlights can go down :p

WP_20141214_15_10_11_Pro_zpsa41544e2.

And back home

WP_20141214_19_04_39_Pro_zps942f5a01.

Finally, here's a little video my sister has made real quick. Thanks for looking manz :wave:

• Like Like x 1
  12. speedykonzales

Welding. How much amps you have? I'm using about 70. Welding with lower amps is sheit. 70 amps is hotter and cleanes better off the paint, body wax, rust. And it uses a bit more wire, which is better. Stop welding when the spot hits bright yellow. Thats on a good clean metal. When welding rusty/dirty spaces, weld spots over spots. When you have made a ball on the metal, try to weld the ball again, that will get bigger and find it's way to hold on to somewhere else. Always hold the torch on the thicker metal and just raise it. Remember you can always grind the excess away later. Sometimes you have to grind some of it away and make a second pass. The second pass applies also when body wax starts to melt down and on top of your weld. Just keep welding (look inside the car a few times, just to be sure it's not on fire), then after cooling, clean the weld with a wire brush or something else and make a second pass. The most important thing is to keep surfaces clean and when just closing rusty holes with a plate, try to keep the plate against the other metal, with no gap, if theres a gap, hammer it. That way the heat is being transferred away better. Maybe it helps.

#32 speedykonzales, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  13. C1arke

C1arke Member

Was a rite laff mate, and definitely not bad for your 2nd drift day

14. Stylecase-Adam

Thanks for the big advice man! I'll keep all of this in mind when I'm welding up the other sill soon.

Thanks man! Was definitely fun trying to chase you down :D

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Little update :thumbs:

Fixed dent after the little bash at buxton

[​IMG]

Mate came over for a day from Leamington so we took some pictures :thumbs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not much happening right now, I'm sorting the rust to get it M.O.T'ed this month, then next month I can hopefully TAX and lastly insure it. In the mean time I'm in the need of:

Fuel level sensor that goes on the fuel pump
    TPS Sensor
    New steering wheel quick release

15. Van_Denton

Van_Denton Member

thought about one of these next or a 280Z!, I actually really dig the brown interior! Nice one.

16. Stylecase-Adam

Updeeightttttttttttt m9999999999999

Update 20/02/2015

Let's start off with some sills, mine were quite bad. I imagine they would have been a lot better if the last owner wouldn't fill over it with silicone and body filler as soon as the rust started coming out.

Aids cut out
    [​IMG]

To see even more aids that needs cutting
    [​IMG]

Two days later and I had it welded up, primered, filled and now undersealed. Over that I just went over with a random off-white rattle can.
    [​IMG]

The door didn't get sprayed fully since its getting replaced soon anyway.
    [​IMG]

After the sill were done, it came MOT time. Not much of a problem except a rusty hole i missed out and a rear tyres. :euge:
    [​IMG]

In the meantime I have bought a new fuel sender, my car didn't have one. The OEM item didn't fit in the baffled tank so had to do some modifying to the float but after all there is some sort of fuel gauge now.

[​IMG]

Also bought this bucket seat by the end of December! Got it early February, seller was a bit of a pain with shipping. :mad:

[​IMG]

It's all in the details :D Like this little gear boot I made from a spare rag in the garage.

[​IMG]

Moving on to some recent stuff! The dreadful compression test! Went round to TGS to do the compression test just to have a piece of mind and make sure it is not the compression that's causing the idle. As it turns out, the engine is very healthy! Really good compression, very glad... :cool::nod:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back at home, now that I knew the car isn't getting towed anywhere else it can go back to the OG height. Soo down it goeess :thumbs: Here's my new lip as well, its french. :smash:

[​IMG]

Very very recent update now, after making my custom roof spoiler fit how I wanted. It was time to stick it on ^^ ;)

[​IMG]

To go with my new spoiler, I have also went and got a can of white. And gave the boot spoiler a lick of white, while I was there i also smoothed the part where the RX7 sticker was, it literally just engraved into the paint and it looked horrible.

[​IMG]

While I had the can, I also hit up the front wing which I fixed up and primed before.

[​IMG]

I was quite chuffed how well the rattle can paint matched!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One shot of the interior how it is atm, I'v relacquered the Nardi recently, just need to give it a quick polish maybe.

[​IMG]

17. Stylecase-Adam

And finally some pictures I took today of the bits sprayed up, the roof spoiler and lows :thumbs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one of the many reasons updates been so slooow, helping my sister with her B16 swap in her civic. Here's a picture of the engine bay I sprayed up :smash:

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading!​

18. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

Yep still not helping with making me want an FC haha. Good going on this one mate!

19. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

That shift knob looks awesome man. :thumbs:

20. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Car looks badass now with the two painted spoilers etc. Nice work