Bad experience with garage!

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by stuntgod1, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stuntgod1

stuntgod1 Member

I normally could not be bothered to moan on a forum about rubbish like this but I am still p***ed off and feel I need to vent!

I also realise that peoples experiences are different and although I have not had a good experience I am sure many other people have used this guy and had a good service or he would not be in business.

Dropped my car there last Wednesday so nearly a week ago, I had already told them the car was running like a bag of sh*t and needed mapping but they said they needed to see the car and then they could tell me exactly what it needs doing this was to cost me £75.

I phoned yesterday to see when I could collect the car and the guy told me he had snapped the key in the ignition when he was trying to start looking at the car that morning.

Today I organised one of my locksmith mates to come and get the broken peice of key out of the ignition and cut me a new key, when we got there the place was locked up my car was outside open, the ignition all apart with the black cap hanging visible so anyone could have got in and started it with any key! and my stereo in on display.

Once everything was back together I asked how the garage wanted to sort this out but he advised me I had given him a dodgy key that must have had a crack in it and it was no different than if the fuel pump had stopped working while he had it and I should still pay him £75 and sort the locksmith out even though he had not even popped the bonnet and the only time he had spent on my car was fixing the problem he caused!

He had also told me that a R33 standard ECU cannot be mapped and my only option was to buy a ECU for £900 and injectors and a new turbo and that was the only way it was going to run properly.

You would think this was some unknown backstreet garage but GDA in Fordcombe look after Japspeeds cars and I was recomended by two other people!

Has anyone else had good or bad experiences with them?

On the plus I did what I should of done in the first place I called Rising Sun and they told me more information over the phone than GDA did for £75 and It is now booked in for next wednesday to be sorted out!

Good customer service goes a long way and leaving angry pissed off customers is so easy to avoid by just not being a c**t! I am hardly going to recomend him to anyone.

2. Skiddly Diddly

Skiddly Diddly Rehabilitated

So he charged you £75 for what? Nothing at all? What did it say on the invoice?

Not a great way to win business!

3. stuntgod1

stuntgod1 Member

No invoice I paid the locksmith in the end but really I am out of pocket no better off and just been waiting a week!

He wanted £75 to look nothing else!

Just got a text asking for my email address so he can send me a quote for his suggested work! LOL!

4. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle In Safe Hands

So you expect a chap to spend time and money looking at your car for nothing? He charged you a couple of hours labour to diagnose the issue with your car and gave you a solution?

Yeah sure, leaving your car unlocked and outside is really sloppy. But you can't expect people to diagnose a problem for free?

5. Mattyboi

Mattyboi Active Member

That sucks man, always bad when you hear of someone who gets screwed abit by a garage. Especially one that supposedly good.

I've heard a few bad things about GDA.

6. cefiro_drifta

cefiro_drifta Mad pointing Munky

yeah i have heard some bad things but never experienced them.

but bizzle is right, guy charged to an hour and a bit labour to look at your car but i would still be uber pissed if i found my car in that state and still had to pay

7. Mattyboi

Mattyboi Active Member

It says in the top post though that the key was snapped before he did any work. Or have i read that wrong??

8. Skiddly Diddly

Skiddly Diddly Rehabilitated

Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought the guy didn't look at the car, just broke the key off in the ignition and wanted £75 anyway. If he did look at it, then paying seems fair.

9. cefiro_drifta

cefiro_drifta Mad pointing Munky

i might be wrong as just re-read it.

If thats the case then it soudns like K-drifts gone in to partnership

10. JohnJ

JohnJ Active Member

Well I think your £75 has been spent on the guy telling you he can't re-map a standard ECU and your turbo is goosed.

Snapping the key, well that's awkward. You could be an arse about it or you could take it on the chin. He certainly didn't do it on purpose and I would say his explanation was satisfactory. My S14 did the clutch on the rolling road a few weeks ago, just one of those things.

Can't really see what the problem is.

And no, I don't know the guys there.

11. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle In Safe Hands

He must have spent SOME time looking at the car because he told him it needed an ECU, injectors and a new turbo. He wouldn't have said that for nothing.

Im sorry to be harsh to the OP, but the internet has a very funny way of only telling one side of the story.

Another way to look at it is:
    OP turns up at GDA with a seriously shonky looking skyline that doesn't run properly. GDA chaps put key in ignition to do some work on it, start it fine & figure out what's wrong. Inspect the turbo, plug in a Consult and decide it needs a custom mapable ECU, new injectors to run the power and a new turbo because they think it's on it's way out.

GDA recommend the ECU they feel comfortable and have experience with (which costs £900 mapped or £550 for the ECU and £350 for mapping)

Then when moving around the yard the key brakes in the lock and one of his mechanics spends the best part of 2 hours trying to get it out of the barrel.

They don't have a key to lock the car and they can't start and move it - so they have no choice but to leave it unlocked.

There are two sides to every story.

12. stuntgod1

stuntgod1 Member

True true! I do get what you mean. but the bonnet has not been lifted as he did not know I had a HKS actuator and he snapped the key when he attempted to move it to have a look so the only labour has been him messing with the key.

Your right he could not lock the car but as it was he could have put it in his garage or even behind a locked pillar as all the other cars outside but mine was not.

Rising sun gave me more info and a similar explanation but over the phone and a better/cheaper sollution.

Im sure he did not mean to break the key but it is hardly the same as a clutch or as his explanation a fuel pump He snapped it! if I had come back with his courtesy car and I had snapped the key I would be expected infact I would out of principle be responsible for that!

I do have some shonky looking wheels but I have only just bought the car!
    The turbo is new I have the receipt and I had explained the car had had bits bolted on and needed setting up as was holding back and running rich.

[​IMG]

13. S1lent

S1lent Member

This sucks for the OP but if memory actually serves me correctly I'm sure this is chargable to the garage under the "tort of negligence" but thats if you can really be bothered!

14. japdocs

japdocs Member

hi its nathan from gda

1st off the car was not booked in it was just dropped off and i said i would work it in for him and i dont snap keys for the fun of it i did offer a lock set that i would fit for free but he said he had a mate who would come and sort the key

and as for not lifting the bonnet thats a joke as i did see his horn that has a loads of speaker wire used on it

sorry he feels this way but i did offer to sort this out but he seemed to want his man to sort it shame he could not have rang me instead of slagging me down on here ay ?????

#14 japdocs, Jul 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  15. japdocs

japdocs Member

and just for the record it was not left unlocked as i spent a hour getting the steering lock off so i could lock it in work shop thank you

#15 japdocs, Jul 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  16. blitz the dog

blitz the dog Member

I'm sure there is two sides to every story!

I have known and used these guys for years and also parted with a lot of money to them. My opinion is they are a proffesional set up that build top notch race cars (correct me if im wrong but I have never seen a badly turned out GDA car).

I'm sure everyone has a bad story to tell about places most people have recieved good service from but hey you can't get it right 100% time and if you think you can you are full of sh*t! No one is perfect!

Why did GDA not get there own locksmith out, I know they have one?

I am only speaking from my experience but Andy and Nathan have gone well out of their way for me in the past, even working to the early hours as I needed cars/vans back on the road.

I run a fleet of vehicles and they look after the lot - no problems.

I'm sorry for your bad experience but moaning on a public forum is a little off, remember they have a business to run they don't just do it for a laugh.

That's my 5 cent anyway:dw:

17. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

LOL, It's not Nath's fault the key snapped off in the lock. He's got fat fingers. :D Or he was heavy breathing from a few metres away :p

18. dannyboyS14a

dannyboyS14a Active Member

having know the boys at GDA for quite some time now and personally having not heard a bad thing I can't imagine the issues mentioned in the OP are exactly as it reads.

From what I understand the car hasn't had any faults diagnosed or even the bonnet open? You based that on the fact that the make of your actuator wasn't noted or they said 'We didn't open it '?
    Did you ask what you are actually paying your £75 for as they must have looked at something to be able to offer you some of the information as to what to do next.

Understand you being pissed about the key and the car being left out, but that sounds more circumstantial.

Have you expained to them how you feel about the situation? As it seems you kinda reluctantly agreed and left it, might be worth talkin to them.

19. RandomGuy

RandomGuy Harroooooooooo!

i dont see the point in a "Flame Thread" for the minimal whinge you have put into it.

you say to us that they havnt even lifted the bonnet cos he didnt know you had a HKS Actuator ... i have a HKS actuator and the tiny HKS stamped on it could be on the underside of his view. you word it like he snapped your key in the lock and basically wiped his arse with the broken bit and told you to fuck off. he offered you a barrel kit for free FFS ... what more would you want??? he offered to replace the key he snapped, hes checked your car out, told you about the ECU, injectors and turbo ... and that my friend has cost you the £75. its called business!!!

long story short ....

quoted £75 to diagnose your badly run car
    you dropped it off
    they turn car on and diagnose car
    snapped key in lock
    told you you need an ECU, injectors and turbo and that theyve snapped your key
    they offer to replace barrel set for free (which you turned down)
    and charged you £75 for the diagnostics ....

that all seems fair fucks if you ask me?!?!?!

GDA are a resepectable company and Andy and Nathan would never fuck anyone over ... its how you word things in your first post that gives people a bad name.

shame on you for starting a thread like this over something so petty!

20. choppa

choppa Mark Lappage

most people that provide a service will charge you, i also run my own company and employ staff and pay tax national insurance ect !! i also charge a minium charge of very simular money.

i think in this instance you should of done ya home work rising sun gave you free advice over the phone thats called gettin business i do it all the time you then use some ones services you then pay.

i no nathan at gda he has a good name in the community of high performance cars ect and his advice and knowledge goes beyond what most of us read and talk about when we have had a beer, look at the cars he built and maintains he then has a mis- hap with your key ???? then offers to sort it out and you delt with it yourself ??? so why grill some one with your key board ??? he told you what he suggested with the car and give you the option you choose not to do it so you pay a min charge look at the garage mate it does not pay for itself welcome to 2010 enjoy your stay

:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.