Balling on a budget jag

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by woods1, Mar 26, 2017.

1. jay-young

jay-young Active Member

Loved seeing this at Matsuri, I may have some video of it on the touge track I'll send you.

• Like Like x 1
  2. woods1

woods1 Active Member

I'd love that mate if you could, send me a DM on here please :)

3. revlimit

revlimit Media Click Yo!

If you looking to get rid of this beast next year give me a should I could be interested :)

4. woods1

woods1 Active Member

I am tempted in all honesty, next project is looming and don't need two cars. I have last drift day of the year next weekend at three sisters and then I'd be tempted to let it go.

Everything is for sale for the right price and some extra funds for next car would be sweet.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

No way, so your not gonna upgrade the engine in this then?

6. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Il see what my options are and what is available at the time.

If a sweet ls1 package comes up for the right price then id pull the trigger and go that route.

If nothing is about then il still be stucking a manual gearbox on a s type r and get 400-440 bhp reliabily in a chassis I know very well.

• Like Like x 2
  7. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Does anyone on here post pics of there project cars at drift days anymore lol?

Went to three sisters on Sunday, was fun but car didn't feel right and was fighting it all day (more on that later)

FB_IMG_1542566922336_zps6wozgc8x.
    FB_IMG_1542624368161_zpsiqlthcig.
    FB_IMG_1542637512320_zpszbx6fmi8.

FB_IMG_1542637608240_zpssbnctxrh.

FB_IMG_1542637628434_zpsj4klh57i.

FB_IMG_1542637658932_zps0k69lahi.

Then my rear tie rod snapped/ball joint went fucked and rear right wheel looked like this
    DSC_0556_zpscrdw4dyc.

Very very annoying and after jacking it up both of the tie rods were very worn and had tons of play. Probably 5 degrees back and forward, so no wonder the car felt crap as the back end was swinging everywhere.

To add insult to injury I parked the car at a nice estate around the corner and had to leave it there and go back the next day.

DSC_0558_zpsiuymjvcg.

Nealry killed myself after getting my mate to give me a lift back to the car and forgetting the special spanner you need to loosen the tie rod. So had to sit on the street in the rain waiting for an hour while my mate went back to my house to get the bloody spanner.

Absolute nightmare but car is back finally and il order a new pair of arms so the car will be back to 100%.

I was very annoyed at the whole situation but a 25 quid part failing after 8 or so drift days and a trip to the ring isn't the end of the world.

The jag will never be a BDC car and will never roast 4th gear or do a backwards entry, but I bloody love this thing and after probably 10 drift days this year, trip to the ring and countless people coming up to me telling me how much they love seeing the jag I have properly enjoyed driving this car. Its ridiculous really how apart from this pone part literally nothing has gone wrong with the car after so much track time.

And at the end of the day I have less money in it then most people have in their wheels, so this very annoying blip will be sorted no probs and be back out soon

#107 woods1, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

I have just!! lol

I need to get myself to 3S - Seen as its my local track(1 hour away) - I have only drifted it once, in my old S13 like 3 years ago lol, and also a very good friend of mine runs the days there so be good to see him!

Is there anymore days there soon that you're aware of? Be good to meet you aswell

Atleast it was only a £25 part, rather than £250 haha!

• Like Like x 1
  9. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Last one of the year on 9th December, Ill probably book on.

Yea small thing that failed, its not a great design, might have a look into swapping in a rose joint or something to get rid of a the ball joint. No wonder it's failed with all the side loading it takes. Still relatively cheap fix.
    Although I hate paying for alignment again.

10. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

I'm on nights that day so can't make it, booooooo

One of my pet hates lol, re-aligning a car!

• Like Like x 1
  11. benje1990

benje1990 Member

love this budget project! hope you keep it going!

you talk about wanting more power, have you through possibly boosting the current engine? it could be done cheap potentially modifying the stock manifold fitting an ebay GT35 turbo (dont knock it ran one in the past and was brilliant for one whole year)
    use a DET3 piggyback ecu as management?
    not saying it would be easy but no more work than a engine swap.

I would have thought you could get 350bhp at like 7psi

either way keep up the good work!

12. woods1

woods1 Active Member

I absolutely hate winter

DSC_0605_zpsr7eslnup.

Jag might be up for sale in the next few weeks on ebay as I've seen a project I'm very interested in.

13. Seabod

Seabod Member

I would be interested, love this car

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chunky Nugget

Chunky Nugget honkeytits!!

pimp.
    How many coils did you chop on the stock springs, and are those coilovers any good?
    You got a price in mind?

15. woods1

woods1 Active Member

I may have just bought some pimp wheels for the jag.... So maybe it's staying I'm not quite sure yet haha

16. woods1

woods1 Active Member

No idea how many I cut, probably all of them lol.

Coilovers are great, they are only cheap ones but seem fine and loads of adjustment and ride is firm yet forgiving. Probably not as good as a grands worth of HSDs but meh.

17. scumbag_mike

scumbag_mike New Member

This is awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chunky Nugget

Chunky Nugget honkeytits!!

Ha ha. I ended up chopping 2.5 on front and 2 on the back, came out alright.
    I'd keep it and skid it more if I was you, they actually skid ok with an open diff so with a welder I bet it's pretty sick, plenty of torque. Be good to see waht you do with it dude. Keep it up.

19. Seabod

Seabod Member

Any updates on this ?

20. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Wow its been a long time. Car has been on my drive since November 2018 after my last drift day at three sisters.

Lockdown has been boring so thought I'd post.

Unsure myself why I've not used the car, I even bought some pimp wheels for the jag and never even fitted them....

Screenshot_20200517-002113_Gallery_zps76eka0fo.

Cars looking sorry for itself, cost me so little ive just left it. Looking but dirty and mossy now. Still runs great and still only has around 60k miles on it.
    [​IMG]

Although, I've had a new interest and been busy enjoying a new love of mine

20200509_140129_zpscfp2a2l6.

I'm hoping to one day bring the jag back out, I still want to do a s type r manual swap and keep the jag dream alive :)

• Like Like x 1