Beginner BMW

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by R32 GTR, Nov 1, 2010.

1. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

Stavros i hear what you're saying. I'm glad I've waited now. Having seen the design and split pulse system its immense looking. It will potentially be the best E36 RHD Turbo Manifold ever made. I didn't want to risk the old one cracking after 3 minutes.

2. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

Right slight update the manifold is done and dusted and has been sent over to the Tuners. They are away at Drift Allstars this weekend so will get some pictures up next week. Finally some progress its been painful to say the least

3. mikeyce30

mikeyce30 Member

looking forward to seeing this again mate. do you think it will make the 18th at lydden!!

4. Al_E11evens

Al_E11evens Member

Freaking yes! this car will be an animal :D cant wait for updates as this id what id love to do. Sell my MX5 turbo and get back to the 6 cylinders :D

5. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

Its a tough call to make it for Lydden especially considering work wont begin on the car until Tuesday then its about 3 weeks until everything is back together.

6. victim

victim Bimmer Skidder

Can't wait to see more updates. I WILL boost my M50 one day. Even if mine is homebrew pikey spec haha

7. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

Adam you can take my kit when i stack it into a wall somewhere on its first drive. From 190 - 430 bhp will be interesting :)

8. mikeyce30

mikeyce30 Member

how much has the turbo kit roughly cost you bud?

9. victim

victim Bimmer Skidder

Haha Cheers dude :) I'll hold you to that LMAO!

#109 victim, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  10. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

I'd say in total the parts alone have been about 5k but then again i have got the best manifold ever built for an M50 :) I didn't scrimp and save on the clutch + flywheel that alone was close to 1k.

On top of that im running suspension/geometry set up worth 1k.

I think this will be the most expensive E36 Beginner in the world.

11. mikeyce30

mikeyce30 Member

be a right animal when its done tho!!!

12. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

Quality comes at a price...

No short cuts in the custom game

Done well mate... Inspired me to make the transition from jdm to german ;)

13. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

Maybe i spoke to soon, will update once its safe for me to do so......

14. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

Right so after waiting since March of this year for my Manifold to be built i've finally had it back. I commission Gunnar Reynisson (Gunni) from GS Tuning to build one for me as he came highly recommended from most of the BMW Forums. To break the story down:-

19th March - Send half the money for the manifold build to start
    23rd March - Ask if the build has started and get told it'll start on the weekend
    1st April - Chased again, get told nothing yet hopefully some mid week progress
    10th April - Chase again, get told the same as above. No progress and will be something mid week
    13th April - Chase again, get told there was a delay with the pipes coming in.
    24th April - Chase again, get told by Gunni that progress has been slow and he shows me what else he is working on (like i care). I tell him im concerned about the lack of progress. He says he cant control the speed (yes you can you're building it)

At this point i get bored and leave it for a whole month.

28th May after hearing nothing from Gunni i chase again and get the following response:-

Over the weekend I was able to spend some time in the design phase, i.e planning your manifold in terms of ease of making, efficiency of function and fitment. I´m missing a Turbine flange that fits your turbo but hope that should come in real soon. I think my concept for the manifold is going to make it very efficient and simple.

The two I have made are super over the top complicated and I´ll be steering away from that on yours towards an improved version really. I know it´s taking AGES and I must appologize for that but I´ve got a 2 year M50 turbo project on the bring of completion now that I´m focusing on, all of that info goes towards yours as well.

I´m 100% certain your manifold is going to be the best T3 turbo manifold ever fitted to a RHD E36 for about 500hp flywheel.

Turns out no one in this country has this flange and he can only get it from Iceland. 19th of June he's back from Iceland with the flanges.

24th June - I get a Facebook message from Gunni saying contact DI Racing about the manifold. I have no idea who they are or what involvement they have. Turns out Gunni from GSTuning isn't a big company but a retard 1 man band who works full time for Cosworth whilst studying. From March to July he has been 'designing' my manifold rather than building it. He says he will be there whilst the manifold is being made.

I contact Damian at DI Racing who seems a nice enough chap and we talk about the manifold which he says will take around 10 days to complete. A few days pass and i hear nothing, a few more and again nothing. Turns out that Damian doesnt have a welder so relies on another guy to weld for him. This other guy is employed by someone else so can only weld an hour a day. After more blah blah blah's Damian says he is hiring a welder and getting the manifold finished on the weekend of the 19th July.

19th July get the following response from Damian:-

Welder has arrived it's a bit antique but should do the trick. Just finishing of the wastegate pipes. Everyone says yours is the best one i've done so far. Fame and Fortune here i come

He then sends me the following picture:-

[​IMG]

I get quite excited for all of three seconds. I realise that this is a top mount manifold which sure as hell wont fit into a RHD E36. Turns out he has confused it with Andeeps manfiold (E30 Turbo build), so i think of he's just sent me the wrong picture no bother.

21st July - I chase Damian he says most of the welding is done and it will be shipped on Monday. Said the TIG Welder was crap but he's using another one tomorrow.

At this point i get super excited i've waited 5 months for this amazing manifold built by the legendary Gunni. The manifold arrived at the garage, i asked them to send me some pics so i can drool over it. So who wants to see this amazing 5 month manifold which is the best ever designed for a RHD E36, its taken 2 years of research and development. The welding is TIG and its fully backpurged:-

WRONG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I almost cried when i saw it, the welding is horrific. I've never welded before but i reckon i could do a better job. Most of the manifold is MIG's, there are areas that arent even welded. Its lumpy and patchy with holes in the actual manifold. No backpurging and not enough heat in the welds.

After calming down from throwing a tanturm i message Gunni and Damian and say WTF have you sent me. Gunni's response is to shift the blame onto Damian and that it doesnt matter if it is TIG or MIG'd in certain areas (which is rubbish).

So thats where we stand at present, no contact from Damian at all and Gunni saying to contact him even though i commission him.

Word of warning do not use Gunni at GSTuning or Damian at DI Racing unless you want the above results.

Pure Performance will be trying to sort out the manifold before putting it all together. We still dont know if the design is good and whether it will deliver on the Dyno.

Anyones thoughts would be welcomed.......

15. woods1

woods1 Active Member

covered in spatter, lack of penatration and pin holes. i would have thrown a massive tatrum. hope you can get back in contact with these guys to sort you out :(

16. J_K_P

J_K_P Active Member

Oh. That sucks.

17. bullerbristol

bullerbristol Member

holly shit that sucks dude. there is no tig in there what so ever that has all been done with a mig and badly at that!!! if you dont have any luck with pure performance drop me a pm we do a lot of custom fabrication at low brain im sure we could sort it for you

18. victim

victim Bimmer Skidder

WTAF?!?!?! That's disgraceful!

19. warby

warby Lifestyler Deluxe

Fuck. I've done tidier with a stick welder!!! :O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Ouch. What flanges didn't they have anyhow? The turbine flange? Divided T3? Loads of them in the UK.

This is why I do everything I can myself, and if I dont build it myself, I give exact instructions what I want.

Manifold looks odd, but provided it doesnt fall apart it should work. Thankfully with the 153624 firing order its easy to do proper twinscroll on modern 6cyls.