Beginner S13 build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by milsom93, Aug 14, 2013.

1. milsom93

milsom93 Member

After wanting a S13 for 6 months and a wage rise I finally plucked up the courage and bought a cheap S13 that had been sitting in a garage for 10 years. Fortunately the car was in better nick than I thought and only needed 3 holes welding underneath. Prior to purchasing the car it was put through an MOT and it only failed on the welding, a few blown bulbs and a in-balanced brake disc. Happy days :) here are some pictures of when I got the car. It was totally standard and unmolested until I got it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My plans are to keep this off the road and slowly build it to a nice standard drift car whilst on a budget and when I'm 20 the insurance should be below £2000 then I can take it to some drift days and event and use it to the full like it should be :)

The boot lid was absolutely rotten so the next day I set about replacing it with the one that was included in the sale. Turns out to be de-wipered and smoothed which was a bonus

[​IMG]

The next weekend I got the car down to Chris Carr to get all the welding done as I have no welding equipment or welding skills

[​IMG]

Then got a Japspeed type 2 exhaust as the old one was rotten and couldn't help but get some more sound from it :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then bought some secondhand grooved discs to replace the old rubbish and in-balanced ones but they turn out to be 280mm. So as I'm not in a hurry get it on the road I've decided I may as well upgrade the brakes to Z32 brakes before I up the power. Then got word of a friend selling some genuine TE37's cheap and managed to get this set with nearly new tires for £300 which I thought was cheap :) they are all 17" and 9J wide so I had to save up for some hub centric spaces so decided if I need spacers I may as well put wheel adapters on for now and maybe do a 5 stud conversion later on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So basically that's were I am. Hopefully next month I will be getting some HSD coilovers and make it sit nice as I hate the height at the minute.
    I've been meaning to put a build thread up for a while just never got round to it so sorry for just going on and on.

2. CrossOverPics

CrossOverPics Member

Very nice beginner man. Going to keep it CA or SR it?

3. milsom93

milsom93 Member

I'm going to stick with the CA for now, but if it goes bang then I will think about swapping it out. Don't hold me to that thoughI'm bad for changing my mind

4. milsom93

milsom93 Member

Got my rocker/cam covers painted the other week as it was letting the engine bay down massively
    [​IMG]

Also got a DW handbrake button, some grip tape, oil filter and braided brake lines but I have now decided I want to upgrade to Z32 brakes so these maybe up for sale soon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty happy with how this is starting to come together now just waiting for payday to get some coilovers :)

5. milsom93

milsom93 Member

Just a quick update, I've finally managed to get some second hand coilovers on the way and should hopefully be here Wednesday. Also on a spur of the moment thing I have gone and painted the centre unit of my rear lights in black. I'm still deciding whether I like it or not but it is actually growing on me.

http://s1019.photobucket.com/user/milsom93/media/IMG_1551_zps52c72153.jpg.html?filters[user]=137275553&filters[recent]=1&filters[publicOnly]=1&sort=1&o=0

So hopefully I should have an update soon with the coilovers finally.

6. milsom93

milsom93 Member

[​IMG]

Not sure whether the photo above works so here is one that will

7. chidley

chidley i like fingers

8. milsom93

milsom93 Member

Haha thanks, strangely get told that often ;)

[​IMG]
    I've finally got the coilovers yesterday thanks to a DW user so after I've taken my car in to the Seat dealers yet again (12 plate car and this is the second time!) I'm going to fit these! Looking forward to seeing it on it's arse

[​IMG]
    Also got my hands on a set of S14 callipers and conversion lines. I strip them down today ready for paint. So hopefully I should have an update tomorrow with the coilovers on

9. milsom93

milsom93 Member

Finally got my coilover on! Really happy with how it looks now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My only issue now is the back wheel hits the arch going over any sort of bump. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong but if I wind the springs up on Tien coilovers that will stiffen the springs and not adjust the height?

10. milsom93

milsom93 Member

Just a quick update as not much has been happening with the 200 lately.

I finally bolted the battery box in the back and relocated it properly behind the passenger seat rather than just sitting it in the boot like before
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I also painted up the S14 callipers ready for fitting and went out to start this today but came to a problem when I went to replace the rear lines for the braided ones I have before bleeding and this happened
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Everything just rounded off and would not budge as it was rusted together! So I will just fully refurb the rear brakes, pipes and paint everything up while I'm doing all this.

I also fitted a boost gauge and pod that I had lying around. But the gauge reads -0.8 bar when idling and when revving it never reads over 0. Any one know why this could be?
    I know I have a volt gauge somewhere just need to find it
    [​IMG]

More updates to come but things will slow down now as i am now focussing on saving up for insurance on it as it could possibly be my daily for a while.

11. milsom93

milsom93 Member

As I have got a long train journey home and have read almost all the new posts I thought I would update you all on the little progress.

All the metal pipe work and connectors came to get the S14 brakes plumbed in. This will hopefully be my job for Sunday if I can get the front callipers off as the bolts were seized solid when I tried to remove them Tuesday.

Also I did some very DIY work on the rear arched as the tyres were catching on the lip on any sort of bump or un level ground. So out came the baseball bat to bend the lip in as I didn't have a angle grinder until yesterday but hey it's worked a treat! Happy days!
    [​IMG]

Also here is an 'arty picture' that was took
    [​IMG]

12. Lewis_B

Lewis_B Member

Brilliant progress already! Looks sweet with the Rays :)

13. milsom93

milsom93 Member

Cheers man! Pretty happy with it now

Due to work commitments I haven't had chance to do anything with the 200 and as I have had today free I got up and on with fixing the brakes.

I started by putting the S14 front callipers and discs on ready for bleeding.

Difference between old and new
    [​IMG]

Cut the shit shield and bent it back to allow clearance for the bigger discs.
    [​IMG]

New disc and calliper mounted. Put them on the wrong side at first but managed to realise my stupidity before I got any further.
    [​IMG]

Conversion line on the left side
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And then I went to fit the right hand side and managed to cross thread the first bit of thread in side the calliper. So before I forced it anymore I took the calliper off and put it in boot of my daily ready to take my dads house as I have limited resources at mine.
    The back two metal lines are now repaired and bolted to the braided lines just waiting on some new red stuff pads to arrive.

How it looks with the callipers on. I think it look well.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

So that's the brakes mainly done just the last two bits to fix and then it's a top notch car, or so I though as I found today it has managed to start dripping oil on the floor so need to look further into this when I have a chance.

14. milsom93

milsom93 Member

Sorry for all the poor spelling and wording my brain seems to type faster than I can think :wack:

15. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

any updates mate, like the work with the baseball bat never thought of that

16. Lewis_B

Lewis_B Member

God I want those Rays!

17. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

Looking good so far! Your gonna need to re-think them braided brake lines tho before you kill yourself, you need a junction box where the tab is on the coilover, if you leave the line hanging it will rub through. Very bad juju!

18. milsom93

milsom93 Member

Update time now mate, haha it's my ghetto method

19. milsom93

milsom93 Member

Cheers dude! I'm pretty happy with them but I'm quite tempted to get some diamond sport steelies but I'm sticking with the rays for now

20. Gymbob

Gymbob Active Member

looking good man keep it up :)