Best homemade/diy way to break a tyre bead?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by milez, Mar 12, 2012.

1. milez

milez Active Member

Just brought some tyre levers from work so i can start changing some tyre's on my shitty drift wheels.

But what is the best way to break the bead? Google and youtube are pretty crap and cant find anything.

So whats the best way to do it?

Cheers

2. C1arke

C1arke Member

lower a car on to it off a jack if you despreat, or make a lever

3. steveboiboi

steveboiboi Southern style!

tailgate off of a van/truck if you got one.. or run it over with a car...

4. Neil KTS

Neil KTS Member

A bit of angle iron and a sledge would the most common way and is still used by most tyre fitters ,though on commercicial trucks when you are on a roadside breakdown. Not very forgiving on your rims though if you don't have a good aim

#4 Neil KTS, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  5. Yeah_Mick

Yeah_Mick Beauty Purr!

i had a manual machine i picked up off ebay fo about £20 it was a piece of piss to break the bead and remove the tyre with once you had a bit of practice and i just fitted them on the floor with a hammer and a bar.

Only downside is space as you either need to bolt it to the floor or i bolted mine onto a pallet and just stand on it when your using it and its fine.

6. bell

bell Without patience

many methods to braking beads.

we had a slingshot style bead breaker that resembles a post nocker at my old unit Melco BB4 HGV Tyre Bead Breaker | eBay good but becomes hard work after 3 hours and 50 odd wheels.

as above the clarke ones are good Sealey Tyre Bead Breaker | eBay

or one ive seen done is a brickies hammer BUILDER BRICKIE ROLSON 20oz BRICK CHIPPING HAMMER | eBay

blunt it off a bit then wedge the ponty end between the bead and the rim and smack fuck out of it with a sledge hammer or lump hammer.
    although im not sure i trust that method as there shotpeened and can explode into lots of bits of sharp metal, and i value my balls more than losing them to that sort of fire power

7. Struggle

Struggle Active Member

a door way and a jack worked for us :) you gotta pack out the jack with bricks tho. quality stuff.

8. immy21

immy21 Member

Donno about best, but this is how I done it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Worked well on all but 1 tyre with a fooked sidewall due to a blowout and a longish drive back to the pits.

Also bear in mind tyres will only come off one side of the wheel, I found out after much fuckin about :wack:

Not sure if it will work to well on low profiles.
    I'm gonna try and make one of these when I can be ass'd:

9. milez

milez Active Member

Quick question....Does the valve need to be in or out? guess its out but just making sure

10. MJG

MJG Active Member

Valve core needs to be out to stand the best chance otherwise you'll have air pressure holding the tyre beads on.

I've used brake discs on the front of a car before, just not much good if you drive an mx5 or something haha. A car's weight is normally plenty though. Just stand on the "free" side of the wheel so it doesn't kick upwards as the weight of the car drops.

11. milez

milez Active Member

cheers dude. Think im going to make one of these

Just need to find my saw!

12. milez

milez Active Member

Actually thats a fucking good idea. Didnt really read the post properly first time. Its a big fat r33 so should weigh enough.

Top man:worthy:

Ill be back in 10mins. Time to see if it works

13. MJG

MJG Active Member

Not my idea, but worked for me and a couple of mates plenty of times. It only gets tricky when you start running posh wheels and stretched or low profile tyres - then it's time to befriend a local tyre man.

14. milez

milez Active Member

I didnt get chance to try it in the end yesterday. My tyre levers have turned up at work so just need to pop in then the fun can begin.

I work in a motor factors in npton and get on well with some tyre guys but its just the fact that if i can do it my self ill try lol.

15. Gibson

Gibson Member

We found running over the edge of the wheel with an Isuzu trooper does the job quite well....

16. milez

milez Active Member

lol i bet it did.

I made one in the end. Cost me 6quid :)