Best ways to hold on aftermarket bodywork

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Mrodoc, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Mrodoc

Mrodoc Member

Hi drifters and driftettes

Just curious the best ways to hold on aftermarket bodywork on my car, ie side skirts and a front lip. Bit stuck for ideas especially as it will be road driven aswell

Any help appreciated
    Matt

2. Saddened

Saddened Member

Rivets if you don't hate the look. Rivnuts are an option. All kinds of plastic clips exist. Latches are also pretty common. Above all ZIP TIES.

3. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

A few different things i've used are:

Reusable cable ties - they have a tab on the back of them to release them

Quick release fasteners - couple of different designs but i like these 1/4 turn allen key / hex head ones:

1-4-turn-fasteners-multi-teeths-hexagon-socket-allen-14-mm-set-of-8-with-rivets.

Cheaper version than Dzus. Good option if you want aero secured well but need to remove often. Company is based in Germany too:

https://www.racefoxx.com/1-4-turn-f...xagon-socket-allen-14-mm-set-of-8-with-rivets

Were happy to post stuff to me in NZ too!

4. Mrodoc

Mrodoc Member

I think they will be ideal for my side skirts, just need to find a way to mount secure them into the bodywork without cutting into the sill, need to see if I can get to them from behind somehow,

As for the front lip ideally I'd like it just 'glued' to the front bumper but didn't know if there was a better way, bumper is plastic. Lip is fibreglass - don't really want rivets and cable ties on that if I'm honest

Cheers

5. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Some kits might be designed to be held in with rivets or something, but the fixing location should be hidden from view.
    For others use a self tapping screw to hold it in place, plenty of adhesive to hold everything together.

When it's set you should be able to remove the screws and fill in the hole, bodykit will remain stuck in place.

6. Mrodoc

Mrodoc Member

There's no pre drilled holes on the skirts and lip, I think the plan is going to be rivnuts on the side skirts as they will need to come on and off a few times and seeing as I can get to the behind of the mounting point seem the best way,

As for the front lip I'm still wondering how to do it, I'm thinking Tigerseal but I'd need to get it perfect the first time or I'd be fucked

Any other ways to mould a front lip on are appreciated

7. MaccyD

MaccyD Active Member

Skirts normally bolt into arches front and rear through existing holes and have tabs underneath to fix them. I was planning on bonding on some big heads (used alot in body work and carbon industry) on the underside, then just nuts onto them. Depends on whats on the skirts.

bighead-gewindebolzen_200x200-ID2166-d9727a82d92c88957c1d62100a263b8e.