BIG DILEMMA with stock brakes!

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Niki, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Niki

Niki Member

So as stated i've got a dilemma. I'm rebuilding my car s13 (finally) and having the brakes all refurbed.

So my dilemma is, i've just got back from Nissan and the cost for a new rubber seal kit and the sliding pins (as mine as rusty and pretty fucked) is over £130!

Yes you heard me right. So after buying that and paying for the refurbish treatment/painted etc... the rear calipers alone would owe me £260!

NO THANK YOU. :no:

So i need another option. Any ideas? Preferably involving a direct bolt on application of a nice set of 2 pot caliper! :thumbs:

2. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

If you want to keep the s13 setup: brakeparts.co.uk
    If not: a good condition S14/Skyline/Z32 setup

3. Disco

Disco Hamburger Hinderer

Go 5 stud and stick a set of Z32 calipers an disks all round. Despite most people hating it, the SXOC will probs be your best bet...

Rats - Beaten to it by Kam...

4. Niki

Niki Member

What is it with people hating on the SXOC lately?? Granted of not used it for 2 years but still! :confused:

Ok first up, i would love to do that, but i'm basically rebuilding the entire car and want to do as little as possible! also keep costs down.

So if there are any options such as the the r32 or z32 rears... do they bolt straight on and if possible i want to keep the stock discs to run the standard hand brake set-up!

5. ian19blue

ian19blue Member

Search usual places ebay etc and see if can get cheaper kit is probably good start.If not try finding someone selling parts or breaking car with items you require

6. Disco

Disco Hamburger Hinderer

Didn't say I didn't like it, just that alot of people don't...

Apparently they are the same units but lighter? Don't quote me on that, just what I'm told! So would mean you can keep the same mountings, disks etc, but check SXOC...

7. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

If your keeping costs to a minimum, why not just get some cheapo stock ones and use them till they are fucked, then either buy another one or rebuild if you have the spare cash at the time.
    I don't see the point in putting bigger brakes on a drift car, you just increase the rotating mass with bigger disks, better off with good quality discs, pads, braided lines and a master cylinder stopper. After all, it's a drift car, you hardly use the brakes anyway:D

8. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

do people leave their common sense at the door when they come here

do i really need to suggest maybe putting a wanted post up for some second hand brakes?

and for an s13?

christ ive thrown away several sets there worth so little.

9. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Exactly, get cheapo stock one:thumbs:

10. ian19blue

ian19blue Member

My point exactly why not look straight away on breaking/parts adverts,be sure to find some cheap :nod:

11. Niki

Niki Member

Should have mentioned really i'm not using it as a drift car! lol
    Well i do slide a bit but mainly i'm going to be building it up for GT250 nippon challenge racing. So uprated would be nice, but i've got the bigger fronts sorted already so just need something on the back!

Hadn't thought about other stock brakes, mainly as if mine are this bad of a '93 model... chances are, every other set of brakes i get are going to be in a similar condition!

As for fitment of the r/z32 rear brakes... does anyone know if they bolt on directly and are compatible with the stock discs? I'd much prefer a none sliding caliper assembly!

12. Niki

Niki Member

And just to show that i'm not a complete noob! I have been trawling the breaking and sales sections as i'm looking for other parts as well! Just not sure which direction to go with the rear brakes at the moment, so wanted some advice! :dw:

13. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

your planning on entering it into a race series?

christ dude, then in that case DEFINETLY get some proper brakes! i.e a z32/gtr setup at minimum

14. ian19blue

ian19blue Member

Wasn't knocking you but u didn't say you've been looking,first post reads as if u had quote from nissan and then posted.
    You should be able to find standard one's not as bad as yours but if your running it in series then upgrade probably be better route :thumbs:

15. Niki

Niki Member

Yea! Should have said that earlier really (also i have to keep the car road legal hence wanting to stay with the stock handbrake set up for now).

Just found some r32 rear brakes, great condition, pads and all... before i buy them, can anyone tell me if they will bolt straight on and be compatible with my stock discs?

Thank you... love you all :D :thumbs:

16. Niki

Niki Member

Yea that was the original plan, until i found out that it was going to cost that much!

Upgrade FTW :dw:

17. SteveC200

SteveC200 Used to drift, now I don't.

You need discs to match R32/Z32 rear calipers. If you cant be arsed to go 5 stud just get a 4 stud pattern drilled into the discs.

18. Niki

Niki Member

Hey Steve, it's not that i can't be arsed to go 5stud, just can't afford it atm! That's on the list of future jobs to do! :D

Redrilling is not a problem, how will that affect my drum set up though? Do the r32 discs accept those internals? I head it was all the same, but finding info on rear brakes is proving trick!

19. SteveC200

SteveC200 Used to drift, now I don't.

Wasnt a dig, Im still on 4 stud, I call it labour saving.:D

The handbrake internals are the same. Whip your old discs and calipers off, redrill the new discs, trim the back plate, chuck the new parts on. Youre best off using new conversion hoses as the fitment is different. They can be made to fit but if youre using it in a race series you'll want the brakes 100%.

20. Doz_SR20

Doz_SR20 Member

If you want to keep the stock callipers I'm 99% sure primeras have the same brakes. The only differences between models is that some have bigger discs and carriers, but the callipers are all the same. So your best bet would be a P11 GT or something.