bmw 330d six speed (gs6-53dz) for 1jz conversion

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by 240jz, Apr 24, 2016.

1. 240jz

240jz New Member

I'm looking to swap out my w58 for a stronger bmw box for my 1jz Datsun 240z. I'd like to use the 6 speed because of my diff ratio (5 speeds have a 1:1 5th). I know I can use the e46 m3 6 speed (getrag 420G), and the e46 330d 5 speed but does anyone know if there was any reason I couldn't use the e46 330d 6 speed (gs6-53dz)? The gs6-53dz six speed is a bit cheaper, potentially stronger and easier to come by. This would have to be with the pmc kit (or similar), which doesn't come with a clutch.

I know the spline count is different, but I'd just use a clutch to suit. The only thing I can think of that could be different is the length of the input shaft, anyone know if they are different??

I also know they changed over to have a pilot bearing in the input shaft rather than the flywheel at some point on the GS6-53DZ, but it easy enough to check I'd got one of the earlier ones where the pilot bearing would be in the flywheel via the pictures. e.g.

[​IMG]

2. ERTmotorsport

ERTmotorsport Member

PMC supply an input shaft extension with there kit so would solve that issue

3. 240jz

240jz New Member

Thanks for the reply, sounds good. I just wanted to check the gs6-53dz didn't have a different length input shaft compared to the 5 speed (GS5-39dz) or the getrag 420g (which definitely do work) i.e. whether the input shaft extension would need to be different? I can't see why it would be..

Also I see the kit comes with a clutch slave extension, and I'm trying to figure out why this would be needed as I would have thought the clutch slave/clutch fork/clutch release bearing engagement would be unaffected??

4. Turrell26

Turrell26 New Member

Hi- is this thread still live? I've been on with this box conversion since summer and nearly completed- I'm willing to share my findings if anyone is interested?
    Thanks

5. Turrell26

Turrell26 New Member

Just another quick note- PMC doesn't support this box but I've drilled and tapped mine out to suit- secondly my fork extension was fitted and is fine for the job-
    3rd point-I was supplied my kit from a chancer who bought the kits in from PMC and he never supplied me with a slave extension-but mine engages totally fine and is free by hand when the clutch is depressed! Result!

6. Turrell26

Turrell26 New Member

Sorry -last note- mine is fitted to my mkiv supra with a 1jz transplant! But of a hybrid to say the least!

7. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

Just to update this; PMC DO now do a kit for the GS6-53DZ. Annoyingly I'm having to convert the kit for the 5 speed as well so we'll see how it goes. How have you found the box on yours Turrell? The Scandinavians seem besotted with this box, they're claiming reliable use up to 1400nm of torque...

8. Turrell26

Turrell26 New Member

Hi- sorry for the late reply...still on with the teething probs at the mo due to a delay in the prop' being made. Mine is fine other than the eBay tW@t selling me a box with a shot syncro so 2nd and 3rd clunk a bit but all the rest are fine and I think it should have a good top end when it's done as I'm only taking it steady at the mo as I'm not confident in my prop' at the mo....5weeks to turn up wrong length and flanged CV joints only bolted on with 6 M8 capscrews at each end and made without the doughnuts and told it will work perfectly fine and safely..."we do this every day!" ...oh by the way it 40mm short and one of your adaptor plates has 14mm holes and not 12mm and you drill it to a PCD of 120mm and not 105mm...

9. counteract

counteract -o=me

I’m going to bump this thread rather than start a new one.

PMC told me to use an E60 GS6-53DZ as the input shaft is longer. I hope to get this some time soon as auto life is killing me and my wallet with shit shifts. At least once it’s manual I’ll be able to have fun at my own expense.

One thing I can’t seem to find any answers on is what ratio diff to use? I think the E60 diff ratio is between 2-3, but there isn’t much that I can find that would suit an x chassis that low, if that was even the correct sort of ratio.

Now mine is n/a auto 1JZ, so low low spec. However I’ve been shown proof that GT86/BRZ torsen diffs fit pretty much straight in to x90s and x100s so ideally I could use one of those. They come as either 3.7 or 4.1 so I assume using the lowest possible ratio would be best?

Or make a bmw diff fit my Toyota? :wack:

10. McFarlo

McFarlo Member

Watching this thread for more information as I am wanting to do the same conversion on my soarer next year.

I think Xtreme clutch also do kits to suit the GS6-53DZ onto a JZ engine if that helps anyone looking at this.
    From memory they're a 26x35 spline input shaft but I could be wrong.

I know of someone who used this gearbox with a 4.1 diff and said it was perfect, he's now using an E39 530D Box with a 3.6 or 3.7 and still finds it a bit short - I was told he had to change boxes because of an error with a supplier giving him the wrong clutch or something like that.

I don't know if it would be bang on perfect for a road car with a 4.1 though - perhaps PMC could shed some light on recommended diff ratios?

There's bound to be some calculators out there too.

#10 McFarlo, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  11. counteract

counteract -o=me

Thanks for the input.

A friend (who is on here, but doesn't post regularly) has recently put a 2JZ GTE in his Chaser, running around 600bhp. He used the ABC kit with a GS6-53DZ (I'm pretty usre, it may have been an E39 box of similar sort) with a 3.7 rear end and said it was pretty much identical to when he had his 1JZ with R154. So looks like it could work out with diffs in factory ratios fairly well.

12. jonnydiscopants

jonnydiscopants Me lovr you looong time

I used this calculator when i did my gs5-39dz swap on my 2j. Used the pmc kit and there sachs clutch. The gs6-53dz has same ratios upto 5th as the gs5-39dz box.
    But bang your gear ratios if know, tyre size and diff ratio and will give you a rough idea of mph>rpm etc....

http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/e46_gear_ratio_calculator.htm

This is what mines like on a 3.64 M5 diff

E38165BE-6694-4968-909E-D25E666BDFBB_zpsfwiz29zo.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Izzy_S13

Izzy_S13 Member

Great calculator :worthy:

14. counteract

counteract -o=me

Bumping this. Got a GS6-53DZ arriving either today or tomorrow at the price of £80.

I won’t be buying an adapter kit as I have another way of doing it, which does involve some welding (not exactly a cut & shut) - I’ll also post my updates as I go, though I’ve got everything except the box still to buy and not a huge budget to do it with.

15. KING_K95

KING_K95 New Member

I’m really interested to know if you actually did this and how it turned out! I’m looking to start my build and was looking at for something cheap but robust. Let me know how this went

16. counteract

counteract -o=me

I got dicked around on the box and other things came up so I never got a chance to try my idea out. I might just buy an adapter kit though as it would be less headache.

17. McFarlo

McFarlo Member

Bumping this thread as surely there must be a few more options available now.

Through contacting a couple of dealers here in NI it seems like Xtreme don't actually make an off-the-shelf kit for the GS6-53DZ box.
    Was hoping we could get some form of list of companies that definitely DO support this box, and it would be nice to know if there are any points to note (good or bad) about each kit.

I'll start by saying that from what I can see, PMC are offering more for this gearbox than anyone else I know of - both in E60 530D (Code HGD), and E90 330D (Code HGU). They have a few "stages" for different levels of torque, 650nm, 800nm and then the "race stages" which are 900 and 1300nm respectively - these "race stages" use Tilton type clutches, I think they are similar to the ABC in that respect.

I've been doing a bit of pestering and I have found out that they are still currently developing their own custom twin plate clutch kit, which would be making use of two of their "800nm" discs with a Sachs pressure plate (with an option of an upgraded billet aluminium pressure plate), custom flywheel and their aluminium adaptor plate. I'm hoping that they'll release this soon as I'd really like to know more about it and get an accurate value of the price which they intend to sell it for. According to their facebook page, early tests resulted in a torque rating of 1400nm for this clutch setup.

Can anyone confirm whether ABC definitely manufacture a kit with clutch for this specific gearbox? I know Counteract stated that one of his friends used one, if this adapted to suit a GS6-53DZ or was it bought off them as a kit that was already made for this gearbox? Has he had any problems with the kit, and how does he find it for street use and drifting? Does it hold up to the abuse?

I've seen a lot of differing opinions on the ABC stuff - it seems their first iterations of adaptor plates were quite badly misaligned and this has generated quite a lot of negative stigma about the strength of their kits in general due to the misalignment of the adaptor plate causing clutch failures.

I was hoping we could use this thread as a good resource for knowledge regarding this gearbox swap as it still doesnt seem to be anywhere near as common as the E39 530d swap.

18. counteract

counteract -o=me

Just a heads up; my friend has switched back to a brand new R154 due to this happening after 100 miles. His kit was an Extreme kit, which I have just re-read was apparently a copy of an old ABC kit.

DB50C627-FC21-4D10-A4BD-A4F0E51FF280.

DD0E9641-72E4-4AE9-8B83-B47374EAF572.

19. KING_K95

KING_K95 New Member

How were you planning on doing it though as I'm quite interested in the process

20. McFarlo

McFarlo Member

Sorry to hear about what happened to your friend, that is shit luck.
    In response to your above reply about him using the GS6-53DZ box, that input shaft pattern in the clutch definitely looks like the E39 GS5-39DZ version .

I have seen that being said about Xtreme kits too, although apparently "they are now sorted", same with the ABC kits. I'd still be sceptical about making a purchase myself, especially with so many different "versions" of the kit now floating around.

Another update for anyone still looking around for kits - I recently found details of 2 more companies offering swap kits for the GS6-53DZ.

The first is a Polish company called FTWL Motorsport and they have a few different levels of clutch from what I understand.
    The one I enquired about was their highest rated twinplate kit, rated to 1500nm at a cost of £1500. This comes with the adaptor plate, flywheel, and twin plate 4puk clutch setup. From what I can see they can make kits up to suit gearboxes with the spigot bearing in the input shaft (like the e90 330d gearbox, code HGU), or they can also put the bearing in the flywheel, to suit gearboxes like the E60 525/530d box (code HGD) which doesnt have a bearing in the input shaft.
    Another thing to note is that they have the starter ring already on the flywheel, which means that you will not need to buy/use an auto ring gear/flex plate. This to me is a positive as it means there's less mucking about with ring gear spacers/etc trying to get stuff to work. Their kits seem to be used on a few big HP/drift builds over there, but other than that I haven't seen a great deal about them in the UK or heard of any using them.

The second is probably more well-known, by a company called Driftmoto (Nev Payne). I contacted the page after seeing him tagged in a few status' on facebook and was told that their twinplate 230mm kit is rated to 900lb-ft and it is a bit more upmarket looking than anything else I've seen before - it certainly looks like a well made kit.
    It also comes with adaptor/flywheel (including starter ring) and twin plate clutch kit, coming in at £2200 +vat.

Both of these companies were extremely helpful and pleasant to deal with when asking questions/asking for pictures or details of a certain component.

Hope that this info is useful to anyone currently looking for a conversion kit. I'll continue updating the thread if I see or find anything more.

• Like Like x 2