BMW Compact V8

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Timothy Haynes, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Timothy Haynes

Timothy Haynes New Member

Hi Guys, I live in Cape Town SA, Born and raised in UK, from oxfordshire.

New to the forum but been following driftworks for a while. Just thought I would put some pics up of my car which i currently use on track at Cape town, Killarney Circuit. Really its a circuit track car but I want to try some drifting in it and possibly change car for this, so any advice would be great as to what tyres to use and set up. It currently has moly nylon solid suspension bushes throughout, BC BR coilovers, Camber and Toe adjustment on rear subframe, E46 front control arms, 8.5j front wheels and 10j rear with Bridgestone Semi Slicks RE11s, Wilwood 6pots on front and 4 pots on rear, M3 Discs, E36 modified LSD with incresed lock up, e39 530D gearbox with DTM style short shifter and custom flywheel with button clutch, htdro handbrake and wait for it... A jaguar AJV8 4.0 supercharged from a xjr! You might all hate this set up and I do understand as it is strange but I think its different and certainly goes well, certainly sounds lovely, 400bhp and motor is stock apart from a few things, Engine fitted reasonably well except for having to cut and modify subframe as well as moving steering rack down which gave me terrible bump steer which I have sort of got round. I really need to do a dry sump set up and lift steering rack up again. At the minute im using some bump steer ball joint spacers.

Anyway let me know what you think...

IMG_1289.JPG

IMG_1289.JPG IMG_1290.JPG
    IMG_1289.JPG IMG_1290.JPG IMG_1291.JPG IMG_1288.JPG IMG_1287.JPG IMG_1286.JPG IMG_1285.JPG IMG_1284.JPG IMG_1177.JPG IMG_1155.JPG IMG_1150.JPG IMG_1137.JPG IMG_0600.JPG IMG_0596.JPG IMG_0585.JPG IMG_0380.JPG IMG_0369.JPG IMG_0344.JPG IMG_0341.JPG IMG_0340.JPG IMG_0339.JPG IMG_0338.JPG IMG_0259.JPG

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

Looks real neat , i'm wanting to see videos though :p

3. Timothy Haynes

Thanks Bolf, I'll try get some video up, don't have any of drifting yet, only track day driving. I'm still a noob when it comes to drifting which is why I'm looking for advice!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ワゴン

ワゴン Member

What tie rods are those?

5. Timothy Haynes

They are Golf Mk 3 Ball Joints and custom tie rod, e36 inner rods.

6. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Can you please please please give me some info on this gearbox swap?

I'm big into jags and that engine us brilliant but manual swaps are very rare.

Did you buy a kit with an adapter plate to put that bmw box on or have you made all custom parts?

Any pics woukd be great!

7. Timothy Haynes

The jag Engine came with the original Mercedes Auto box but I wanted to do a manual conversion so I used the bell housing form the Mercedes box to make the bmw e39 zf 530d box fit. I cut off the bmw box bell housing and welded on the Mercedes bell housing. Making an adaptor plate would of actually ended being more difficult, the bmw box literally fitted inside the big round Mercedes bell housing nearly perfectly, witha lot of measuring and marking I started to spot it in position with the bo and frist motion shaft located on the engine, then when i was happy I took the box to my engineer who did all the welding, it worked out really well and is very strong, welded inside and outside, I have had no problems with cracking or anything. I had the same engineer make me a custom Flywheel which I did have to make a few changes too before the clutch worked properly, The clutch is BMW e46 M3, but the clutch plate has been upgraded to a 6 button clutch design and slave cylinder is standard e39 530d. Master Cylinder also standard E36. There were a few problems getting the clutch to work properly at start but we just had to make flywheel a bit thinner. The rest of drivetrain is BMW, e36 LSD modified Diff and e30 rear suspension being a compact.

I will try my best to get more pictures and videos up of the car. I will be over christmas rebuilding the engine, nothing really wrong with it now but it could do with a refresh as it does smoke/breathe a little bit at times which has improved the more i run it. I will get heads ported and flowed, I want to make a new exhaust system too and possibly make some pulley changes to charger for more boost but power is pretty good already. I will put pictures as I do this work.

8. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Really appreciate the detailed reply. Looking forward to more pics on this.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Timothy Haynes

This is the best photo I can take of the gearbox at the minute, you can see the large round mercedes bellhousing though is mated to the BMW box which fits inside and where they overlap it is basically welded inside and outside.

Uploading some recent photos of the car too. I am going to post video links of testing at the track now...
    IMG_1506.JPG
    IMG_1442.JPG
    IMG_1449.JPG
    IMG_1451.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  10. mugglord

mugglord New Member

This is so cool man. Lot of time and effort gone into this.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Timothy Haynes

• Like Like x 1
  12. Timothy Haynes

• Like Like x 1
  13. Timothy Haynes

14. Iwavvns

Iwavvns New Member

Great car and amazing job.
    I found you and in Twitter, but I don't have account there to communicate with you. I operator in earth moving machines by the way and also I do earth moving works.
    I just want to tell me if you pleased, which ECU and management you use to run this engine. I have exactly the same engine and I want to put it in Land Rover Defender and I can't find the the way to start with factory ECU.
    Thank you

Ioannis Vlahos

• Like Like x 1
  15. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

Really well built and thought out project. Awesome :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Timothy Haynes

Hi, i am based in Cape Town South Africa, so I use a local company ECU. Spitronics Mercury 2 is the name. http://spitronics.com/products/index.php

Works very well the ECU but I dont do the tuning, I have a dyno tuner do that for me.

Car is currently in bits at the minute, engine is having a full rebuild, I have rebuilt the exhaust too and modified the roll cage, re sprayed inside, new chair. Will put some pictures up.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Timothy Haynes

IMG_1950.JPG IMG_1949.JPG IMG_1951.JPG IMG_1953.JPG IMG_1954.JPG IMG_1955.JPG IMG_1967. IMG_1970. IMG_1978. IMG_2080. IMG_2081. So The car has been stripped down lately and had some needed roll cage improvements and strengthening, Also Engine is being completely rebuilt as it had bad compression on a couple of cyliders, the bores and rings were not good due to oil pump failing, new oil pump, pistons, rings, bearings and sleeved block being done, Heads have already been done with higher lift cams and ported, Cometic gaskets this time to be fitted too. Should have some more power, around 350KW I hope.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Iwavvns

Iwavvns New Member

Thank you for your answer Timothy! I really appreciate it. I try to find the courage to ask for more! As I see, you are the leader about this Jaguar modifications.
    I don't want to much power like the "beast" you have. I just want to start the engine and works in factory setup, if is possible. Which is the cost of ECU and the setup? (If you want to tell me, of course)
    If it works OK for you and without problems as you said, I guess a copy of your setup, will work for my engine too.
    Tell me which flywheel you use and clutch kit?

19. Iwavvns

Iwavvns New Member

IMAG0057. this is my engine Timothy

• Like Like x 1
  20. Timothy Haynes

so my car is finally up and running again with a freshly built engine, new bearings, sleeves and pistons, rings, oil pump, water pump, cometic head gaskets and bolts. Heads have been ported and polished with higher lift cams, so after tuning on the 31st I'm hoping for 450bhp to 500bhp with plenty of torque.
    IMG_3724.

• Informative Informative x 1