EBAY BMW E28 with M52b28

Thread in 'Drift cars for sale' started by hotrodrick, Jan 16, 2020.

1. hotrodrick

hotrodrick Member

Up for sale is my M52 converted BMW E28. It is a 1986 C Registration and started its life as a 518, which it is still registered as.

It has covered 111000 miles and has MOT until 18th July 2020.

I brought the car from a guy who did the conversion himself and had the car for over 10 years. He sourced a low mileage m52 b28 which he then had rebuilt (receipts to prove) before installing it into the E28. The rebuild included new rings, shells, full gasket set etc.

The engine conversion involved the following:

· Converted to run ODB1, has an M50 intake manifold with the larger throttle body, is chipped (ENDtuning) to remove immobiliser, raise idle to 1000rpm and limit to 7100rpm. This has not been on a dyno but similar set ups tend to make 230 – 250bhp.

· It uses the bullet proof ZF gearbox coupled to a custom propshaft from Propshaft Services ltd.

· Rear diff is a medium case E36 328i ring and pinion inside the E28 diff housing so motorway cruising is as it should be.

· Custom engine and gearbox mounts

· Custom poly bush diff mount (common failure on E28’s)

· Custom Sump guard

· Uses a modified E36 tubular exhaust manifold and has manifold back custom stainless 3’’ exhaust with centre box and back box (loud but not crazy) This is all on 3’’ V-band clamps.

The engine runs really well and as you can imagine it’s a pretty quick car while remaining nice to drive.

Since owning it I have replaced all the front control arms, steering arms and bushes as they were well worn. Now drives nice and tight with no knocks or bangs. Saying that, it really could do with an alignment as it has not been done since the work took place.

It is running coilovers on the rear with shocks and springs up front. Feels surprisingly well balanced although I had a set of Gaz coilovers as the next thing to be upgraded.

The front brakes have been upgraded to run E34 535i discs and callipers while the rears remain on drums. Stops very well but I would recommend upgrading the rears to discs for ultimate stopping power. I have sourced a full conversion for £225.

Custom front strut brace with engine damper

It is running genuine BBS RC090 wheels, sometimes known as BBS Style 5’s

Full black leather in nice condition, although not original E28

Now for the negatives:

· It has dents in the wings, bonnet and some very small dinks down the side. The drivers side wing has had a terrible repair so will need replacing. If I’m honest the pictures make it look better than it actually is. It is a presentable car and it does look the part, but it will need a complete respray if you want it mint. I actually quite like the look of it as it is!!!

· The rear arches are scabby

· The driver’s front door has started rusting around the hinges and dropped a little – I have sourced a replacement in colour for £100

· The rocker cover gasket has started weeping a bit of oil (all M52’s do it)

· Gear linkage could do with a refurb (little side to side play)

· Steering wheel ripped (I have another, but it doesn’t fit, could potentially swap this with a breaker for one that does fit).

· Glove box needs replacing. Hinges are broke and is the wrong colour.

· Ideally could do with an alignment after I replaced all arms

· The M535I skirts have the jack caps missing and have been fitted using screws through the side (doesn’t look bad). I have removed these and they are NOT hiding any rust!!

· It needs a bloody good clean inside and out!!

Overall this is a very solid, usable, fast classic car which would ideally need some fettling to make perfect. Or just leave it as it is and enjoy it like I have done. It is an excellent usable project. The previous owner done a couple of trips over to Le Man without issue, I have done a couple of 200+ mile trips again without issue. It never gets hot and does not use any oil. Tyres, brake pads, clutch etc are all in good condition.

I am only selling due to a new addition to the family and I just have no time to even drive it let alone work on it.

Please see ebay link for pictures.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E28-...380388?hash=item3fd7ea0f24:g:iSQAAOSwbSJeHyZR