BMW e30 318is diff options

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by burnslide, Feb 17, 2009.

1. burnslide

burnslide New Member

I have a 1990 318is e30. Its not on the road yet but think it has an open diff. I'm going to get this welded asap :nod: but was wondering what different options were available diff wise for the e30 as would like to get some sort of sports / LSD in the future.

I understand a 4.10 LSD was an option on the 318is but wasnt much cop neway :no:? I think the 325 e30's came standard with an LSD but not sure how good they are? Would an e30 M3 diff fit straight in as would imagine these are probably quite good :cool:?

Or if anyone knows of any other good diffs to consider :confused:? :thumbs:

2. Lover

Lover 'El Pos'

Your welded diff will be fine. You might be able to find an aftermarket diff for your e30 but any of the stardard stuff from BMW won't be much good for drifting seriously anyway, fast road driving there fine but for drifting there pretty weak.

3. ghetto

ghetto Member

i run a 4.45 welded diff in my e30 318is did have a 4.1 but changed it and now its more useable for drifting

4. MJG

MJG Active Member

The ratio is good for a little iS but the LSDs are just poop. They will be OK, if in good condition, for sliding about, but putting them under stress like pulling out of a hairpin screaming in 2nd gear it will try and straighten you up and you'll just be fighting it.

Save your £250-350, keep the welded diff.

5. burnslide

burnslide New Member

Cheers lads! I'm not sure what ratio diff I have on the car at the mo so going to check out the tag on it this weekend. Am quite interested getting hold of a 4.45 and weldin it though! From this Wiki link:

E30 Differentials - E30 Zone Wiki

it sounds like they are only fitted to some covertable or touring 320i motors. Will have to check out the local scrapy's!

6. burnslide

burnslide New Member

and some 318i m40 motors