BMW e38 , 7 series

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Bolf, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

Well , I've been to busy to make a build thread and update as i've been going on and this car was already mechanically 'built' into a drift car by Oli.

You may remember this 740i drift car was for sale ages ago and at the time I was in the middle of another project and couldn't afford this , I was gutted when it sold as I felt that it was always a good concept of a drift 7 series , but the base of the car wasn't the best (green metallic and beige interior , 730i 1995 car)

Cut a long story short , A friend of mine ended up with the car and I thought i'd have it . I sold my 5 series and bought this.
    I have found myself in between jobs and had about 5 weeks of no work , so I thought i'd take some r+r time to make the car up to my style and standard.

I bought the car and instantly realised , 17 inch arent gonna cut it on this , they are way too small and look lost in the arches.

[​IMG]

The car also had some accident and age related bodywork issues , bit of surface rust , broken bumpers , huge gouge in both OS doors and general shit paintwork as to be expected of a drift car . Also the interior was guff and a shit shade of hearing aid beige , made me feel ill.

I decided the best way to hit the car hard and fast was to buy a late model 728i sport (as they are sub £1k) , this would give me the complete interior and body panels , headlights etc I'd need all in one big hit.

I watched a few on ebay and ended up winning a 2001 728i sport in Brum , went to brum , drove it home on one day insure and set about stripping it.

[​IMG]

I checked all the panels I needed were good and was happy , especially with the interior , this cars done 92k miles and had only done 20k in the past 6 years I think.

I attacked the drift car.

[​IMG]

I attacked the donor car (and did a burnout :D)

[​IMG]

Fitted a few posh bits (like us numberplate surround) , welded up a sill , fitted a hydro (thanks Doritech) , swapped wings and headlights for the later facelifted ones of the sport , swapped all 4 doors , rewired all 4 doors (mare of a job) , Full interior swap (3 day job , absolute twat) , made a centre console to fit the hand brakes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bought some Wheels of Bon , whilst he kindly tried to help me diagnose a weird hesitation I get on the motorway

Fitted them
    [​IMG]
    Nice and wide 10J all round , 18 inch
    I'm using Nankang's NS2-R in 120 compound up front , I like this tyre a lot.

It was quite a challenge getting 2 hand brakes in a space that previously had non , thankfully Oli , the original owner had done a top jop mounting the parking brake and left enough room for me to slot in a drift works hydro and custom handle in the spot on the left , the cylinder is all hidden in the console and the lever comes out the gap where the ashtray previously resided.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gave the car a little shakedown at the drift taxi's at Fast show at santa pod , really enjoyed the reaction the car got from my peers , found the car was ridiculously heavy on tyres so need to sort something out to cool the tyres in between runs , but overall I like how the car drives and its suprisingly agile for a large car!

Went and did half a day at Santa pod (I marshalled in the morning)
    [​IMG]
    No way i'm putting nasty tyres on the leather!!

Car performed well , destroys tyres for fun in the dry , but we had a wet spell too which allowed for some slow big angle stuff , nothing to amazing , but hell its fun.

I need to fit a proper coolant temp gauge , and probably oil temp and pressure too , I've got a few suspension joints that are getting old so they are on my list to replace also , along with engine service etc.

I also fitted my nardi knob and gaiter and steering wheel , all in wood , matches the silver sport leather and wood nicely , its posh as fuck.

I went for et35 10j on the rear as the arches are huge and it allows me to use big chunky tyres that no one else can use so plentiful in supply , thanks to mint tyres on that one !
    I also use Rota torques in 17x9.5 et 30 for drift wheels as well as my set of OZ futura , doesnt look too bad
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes I know the roof rack looks shit , I was too lazy to remove it.

So thats about where i'm up to in terms of drift related stuff , I fitted a few LED interior lights and iphone kit , but nothing special

Plans are:
    fit fuel tank sender and gauge
    replace worn rear balljoint
    engine service
    gearbox oil
    diff oil
    coolant refresh
    temp and pressure gauges
    a lot more drifting

Fingers crossed there is a snetterton day soon!

2. alanfordtw-15

alanfordtw-15 Member

seriously cool to drift a seven, they are very well engineered cars.

you prob realise yourself about the tyre wear issue, it is the weight more than anything pushing the tyres so hard onto the ground when they are spun they overheat and get eaten. I once weighed my e38 and with a trolley jack in the boot it was 2060kg! then put the back wheels only on the weighbridge and had 780kg on them. yours is also standard weight with full interior so the best part of 3/4 of a ton over the rear axel, the weight of a ae86 drift car ha

3. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

I know , I have a plan to cool the tyres between runs , might make em last a little longer.

4. alanfordtw-15

alanfordtw-15 Member

Ive seen big power/large cars have the overheating /disintigrating issue before. best solution seemed to be if out on like a 4 lap run, after 2 laps of drifting, idle and drive normal for the next half lap or so to let the air blow over them to cool down and then continue on to the end. bit shit to have to do but it defo makes em last longer

5. URAS 33

URAS 33 Member

Nice write up dude, it looks pretty cool tbf...i think we're all waiting for Snetterton lol...

6. Ed

Ed Anti-Dibs

About fucking time!! A BMW drift project that involves an interior swap. I fucking hate stripped out cars, but I hate that beige bollocks even more!

Why BMW insisted on that dogs diahorrea colour in nearly all their cars in the 90's I have no idea :hurl:

`nice project, looking forward to seeing more :)

7. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

Haha pointless stripping out a 7 , one issue is , i can't hear if a tyre is flapping unless the windows are open

8. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

9. caged

caged Drift Gibbon

I weighed it at 1680kg driverless

10. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

I guessed it wasn't much more than the 5 series I had , i was close at guessing 1700

11. Wackojacko.

Wackojacko. Member

Sick cant wait to get out with you in my V8 :D

12. Jizzle

Jizzle Member

Looks and sounds sweet, Got lost in the smoke at pod on the 26th :)

Keep us posted mate!

13. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

Haha , got any vids?

Just dropped the oil and checked for any signs of engine wear , all looks good.

8 litres of fully synth motorsport 5w50 oil in and a new filter , she's tucked up now until the next DWYB day.

14. Jizzle

Jizzle Member

8 litres lol :D

no pics/vids mate :(

Go-Pro for next time!

15. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

Yea even with trade discount its £64 an oil change!

Adds up when its almost once a month.

16. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

what oil is that and where from?
    I cant believe you ruined a silver facelift 728, I couldn't find a decent one when I was in the market for a daily.

17. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

Halfords 5w50 motorsport oil 5l is £30 on trade

728i sport is thirstier than a 740
    Plus it was rusty , no major crime mooseman

Oh and it was green

#17 Bolf, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  18. ontheway

ontheway Member

Looks fucking mint! I loved your E39 but this just looks mean, I think you've definitely done it justice keeping it tidy whilst giving it some abuse.

19. Dantagonist

Dantagonist Member

Did they make a 740/730 with a manual box?
    Or is that something you/previous owner has done.

It looked amazing at pod. I was the driver of the black V8 S14a
    So tWackojacko has a v8. You have a V8 and I have a V8...
    We so need to run all together. V24!!
    END OF THE WORLD !!!

20. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

Its been converted previously.

I also think you might be being a little melodramatic lol