Build a Driftcar with no aftermarket support

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Markuscb2, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Markuscb2

Markuscb2 New Member

Hey,
    i have 1979 Mazda 626 coupe.
    I want more steering angle and in general want a better suspension setup.
    The car is so old there is no aftermarket support on it (1 company does coilovers for it but they are hella expensive) Should i do much custom work like converting hsd coilovers from another car to fit on it or should i just buy an e36 or smt like that to convert the whole suspension into my mazda?
    What do i have to consider if i convert suspension/ or when i buy a car to swap into the mazda?

add: i can weld (not perfect but im still learning)

2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

I'm not being funny, but if you don't have the means to do it then you probably shouldn't.
    Not that it can't be done, or that you can't do it. But you could easily spend years and thousands of Euro getting it working properly.

You could buy an E36, smash a load of off the shelf parts on it and you're sorted.
    Job done in one weekend, not many.

3. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

To show you how much fab work is needed on a 626, check out Sean's build series on his 626:

https://www.youtube.com/user/senojnaes

It'll either inspire you or scare you off lol

Sure, he's going over and above what you'd need to do, but he talks about the failings of the chassis.

4. Markuscb2

Markuscb2 New Member

thx mate i have been looking for people that build this car for quite some time lol.
    i will take it as an inspiration for sure there is no way im just gonna give up (i got it from my father who is dead now)

5. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

You know you're gunna smash it up right?? I mean just be warned, it'll take a beating if you're gunna drift it properly.

6. Markuscb2

Markuscb2 New Member

Im not here to build a showcar if i own a car im gonna give it a proper drive.Even if i smash it up i learned alot of stuff from it and had fun