C.O.P Conversion 1jz/2jz

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Zammish24, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

Hi everyone, i've got a 1jz vvti from a toyota soarer, but i think the coilpacks are failing (i can feel a soft misfire if im cruising around 70mph and when i floor it, its flat as fuck). Instead of replacing them for normal OEM coils i want to convert them to coil on plug.
    I have done this to a mazda mx5 in the past and it was piss easy because all the wires i needed went to the igniter!
    Done soem of research and i'm tempted with the idea of Yaris coils however.....i cant find anywhere any information or wiring diagrams on how to convert them for a VVTI motor which run wasted spark, 3 coils shared across all 6 cylinders.
    I'm positive on JZ vvti ignition setups run the same so 2jz vvti will be the same
    any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Japtorque

Japtorque Member

can you borrow some known working coils from a friend to test? that might help you diagnose the problem,
    Im also looking to do this conversion myself in the future
    as for coils , lots of different types will fit , audi , toyota 2zz, honda, ls3 etc. lots tend to use the red audi ones as they look cool, and I hear the toyota coils from a 2zz will fit quite well

the conversions will ditch the factory igniter , the igniter has the pin out on the plastic cover usually , so that might give you a clue of how to wire it up,
    each coil will have a +12v a negative ground and a signal wire I think , coils with 4 pins just use 3 pins the 4th is used to let the stock ECU know that its fired ..

thats all Ive worked out so far, there are kits available for around £250 and they come with mountings for the cam cover and stuff making your life easier ,
    if you do buy a kit then please upload the wiring details :rolleyes:

VVT-i_Igniter2a.

#2 Japtorque, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  3. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

Hi mate thanks for the reply, i replaced the coils for new ones.....and its fixed my ignition issues!
    Only problem i have now.... Ive bought 6 yaris coils... with no idea how to wire them in!
    All i do know is i'll have to wire them in batch

I've done some research and i'll need something to replicate a IGF signal to the ecu, thats whats stopping me making a loom up tbh

4. Zammish24

Zammish24 Member

Right, after some research.... I have summed up a diagram... Anyone here able to tell me if im on the right path? I figured that we're ''faking" the igf signal using IGT signal to IGF.
    yaris coils btw.
    IMG_20190319_154919.