c32 laurel - rear camber adjust

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by s13silvia, Jan 11, 2019.

1. s13silvia

s13silvia doughnut muncher

hi guys,

okay I need to have adjustable rear camber for my C32 laurel. I've tried contacting R31 house about their adjustable control arms but have had no luck so far (as far as I can tell it's the same IRS rear). The car isn't on the deck (it's not far off mind) but the rear is running a whopping amount of negative camber (easily in the region of 8-15 degrees).

I'm going to raise it for now to save me getting more police bother, but surely there must be a solution? I noticed some aussie R31's slammed on the ass running near 0 on the rear so it must be feasable.

2. Seabod

Seabod Member

What style is it? Like a straight bar ?

3. s13silvia

Looks the same as this from underneath the motor:
    Hicas_hr31rear_end.

4. Seabod

Seabod Member

5. s13silvia

Nah the control arms are those big wishbones bud - It's a fixed setup, you' need to incorporate some adjustment onto the inner mounts of the arms.

6. Seabod

Seabod Member

Ahh thought as much, looks a pain in the a** sorry i couldn’t be more help

7. s13silvia

no worries dude appreciate the effort :D

8. s13silvia

OK! After a day of research, I got five viable solutions -
    1) The aus skyline r31, VL (and by that ill also assume the early C31 laurel) had a live axle. So no matter how low you drop it it stays 0/-1 deg camber. Con - the fitment appears to be all different, has a weaker diff, and will require some fabrication to fit.

2) Buy R31house rear camber adj. control arms - which I would consider if they would acctually get back to me. Easiest and only bolt-in solution, but most expensive I should imagine.

3) Slot the rear outer control arm mounts and put in an Eccentric/cammed bolt to adjust by perhaps 1 deg max (not really sufficient in this case)

4) A guy in Trinidad has sent me photo's of his jig and process for installing an S13 rear cradle/subframe. Essentially nothing more than 4 new mounting points but it's the location of these that has to be very specific.

5) Guys in Aus have started doing R33 rear ends on the similar VL Commy - similar work to above, either in the UK is a viable option as still enough R33/S13 spares going around cheaply.

9. Seabod

Seabod Member

4-5 seems like the best option unless r31 house gets back to you.

10. s13silvia

To be honest... just by looking at it - I don't see the problem in grinding off and fabricating new tabs on the beam where the control arm mounts.. the way the coilovers are there's very little squat on load