C35 laurel info needed

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by GeorgeHampl, Nov 7, 2017.

1. GeorgeHampl

GeorgeHampl Member

Am I right in saying this chassis uses s14/15 front suspension and r33 rear subframe?

Regards

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Owned one for about 3 years so here goes:

It uses S14/S15 front suspension, but the factory top hats are slightly different due to the tower design. Lower control arms are same length as S14/S15. Front swaybar is unique to the C35/C34/C33/A31 and is sought after when people swap RB's into s-chassis.

Out back it uses the S14/S15/R33/R34 style subframe, but depending on spec could come with either an R180 or R200 diff & subframe (ala R33). They don't use HICAS. As for adjustable arms, anything off an S14/S15/R33/R34 will fit in the rear

If you're going coilovers then you want S14/S15 suspension front and back. Recommended to upgrade front spring rate to 10kg if you can due to the heavier engine.

All models are factory 5 stud but run low-spec calipers

3. GeorgeHampl

GeorgeHampl Member

You sir are fountain of knowledge.

I've managed to bend couple of arms so after a replacement.

4. BenRice

No worries

What you bend?

5. GeorgeHampl

GeorgeHampl Member

I am not 100% too scared to look all I know for not the wheels are not where they are supposed to be :o

How did you find your 3 year ownership?

6. BenRice

Just had a poverty spec one as a daily - RB20DE NEO with auto so nothing driveline-related really applies to you. Biggest other issues i had were wheel bearing related tbh

Chassis is just like the old A31/C33 really, once it was lowered it wanted to step out in the wet all the time, even with the open diff. Even the mrs had it step out unintentionally

Sheet metal on the guards is ridiculously thick compared to other Nissans. Slab-sided nature of the design meant that making it look wider (like everyone does with Nissans) didn't look right. Best option would be facelift + factory aero and run it low af

A mate of mine here in NZ has one along those lines: boycenz on IG

Keeping my eyes open for a suitably priced 25DE one as a +T project

7. GeorgeHampl

GeorgeHampl Member

Mine is already nice spec from Japan. It's club s with wonder aero. At least I think that's what it is. Converted to manual. Coilovers.
    It is really heavy to drift I think. Specially for beginner. It really like to wash wide once sideways. It just keeps going and without lock mods hard to come back.

It's great looking car though

8. BenRice

I hear ya, they have a decent bit of weight behind them so aren't as responsive as an s-chassis, despite sharing the suspension design

Upping the front spring rate to 10kg (or 12's if you run it proper low) will help a bit with the wash out

9. Hositos1

Hositos1 New Member

Will s14/s15 r33 rear coilovers straight fit laurel c35 year 2000? Or has to be modified somehow?

10. Japtorque

Japtorque Active Member

will be fine , just changed mine for s14 all round ,
    12k front 8k rear, not too bad on the road..
    could use more on the rear tbh. next time I'd probably go for 18K/ 12K just to see what it feels like

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hositos1

Hositos1 New Member

Thanks for reply. as my one is starting to knock so just wondered is there an alternative to plug and play.Thanks

12. Japtorque

Japtorque Active Member

what do you have on there right now? coilovers.
    have you owned them from new ?
    pre load could need adjusting if the springs have gone a bit slack

13. Hositos1

Hositos1 New Member

Car is fresh jap import and after few miles rear tein coilovers start to knock and looks like one side is leaking as well.

14. Japtorque

Japtorque Active Member

oh not good then, hsd's are good, what are your plans for the car ?

15. Hositos1

Hositos1 New Member

Plan is to use as daily/ Sunday car. Won't be used on track days so far.
    So hsd coilovers are recommended? What about top mounts are these are the same as well? Sorry for so many questions as I don't have another set of coilovers to compare with.

16. BenRice

HSD's come with top mounts included and are well supported. Front's have adjustable camber plates, rear come complete with top hats. Have any photos of the car/IG?

Go for 10kg front/6kg rear for a daily/Sunday car. Would recommend getting a full set and selling the old fronts. I've tried running old coilovers in the past and they caused so many issues. Going new gave the car a new lease on life.

If you get an S14/S15 set through DW explain they're going on a C35 and they'll understand the need for the heavier front spring. If they don't have 10's in stock and the option is 12's or 8's go for 12's and run dampers full soft and you'll be fine

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Japtorque

Japtorque Active Member

I bought a set of slightly used HSD's for a 200sx , they fit fine.
    like Ben suggested there, I use 12k fronts and 8k rear , there fine for road use and maybe some track fun

18. Hositos1

Hositos1 New Member

Thanks for all help.

19. Japtorque

Japtorque Active Member

hows it getting on ? im looking to do some upgrades in the future , i just have a kaaz 2 way and HSD coilovers , what would be the first arms to replace ? tensions arms ? camber arms , or just slowly replace the lot ?
    cheers

20. BenRice

Tbh, rear toe, rear camber and front caster are all as important as each other and worthwhile buying as a bunch and getting a discount. Normally you get rear tension arms as part of that bunch but they're only really needed when you're chasing grip, so if the budget's tight to get them all at one sell them on.

If you're going to run it low, grab some subframe risers in poly (gktech do them)