CA18DET forging..

Thread in 'Technical' started by niksa.barisic, Oct 4, 2017.

1. niksa.barisic

niksa.barisic New Member

Hello guys, i'm sorry for asking theese common questions and i i know there are almost everywhere on the net.... but i kinda think i will get the best answers here with my own thread.

Ok... questions...

i've just sent my 200sx s13 to a body shop and i will be without it for bout 2months approx...

in that time i have to order all parts to forge my engine...

the goal is set to about atleast 300whp... so if anyone has any experience with ca18det (dont tell me swap sr20det etc please.... )

the pistons, rods,crank bearings, headwork? supertech etc? , turbo, injectors, etc....

umm and ECU, do i need standalone for that kinda goal or?

please help me so i can start ordering finally :)

greetings from Croatia

2. BenRice

BenRice Active Member

300 wheel is pushing the limits of the biggest factory bolt on T2 turbo's (S15 / GTi-R T28) and availability of good condition units is getting low, so you'd need to look at something new. An HX27 or HX30 Holset would be ideal on the CA, but check what's available on http://www.compressorracing.com/our-turbos.html

As for ECU, Nistune type 1 board + R35 or Z32 afm would be the way to go. There's a Nistune dealer in Croatia too: https://nistune.com/workshops/europe/croatia

As for internals, I'll let someone else cover that. CA's can run 250hp on stock internals fine, but bumping to 300+ will need at the least stronger rods, steel headgasket and depending on what fuel you go for, forged pistons. If ethanol blends are readily available the lower heating value it has helps with reducing combustion chamber failure.

But make sure you've got a decent clutch lined up, definitely a puck clutch. Twin plate won't be needed.

3. pointz

pointz Member

Can run 300bhp on a gt2560r (t28r) all day

Garrett gt2871r will easily cope with 350+

Also been running 290ish bhp on stock internals for years.
    Youd need forged pistons before rods.

Id go with cp pistons, rods alot of them come from the same place and are just rebranded anyway

4. BenRice

BenRice Active Member

Wouldn't get much more than 300hp / ~1.2bar out of a 2560 on a CA, and he said at least 300

The 2871 and the HX30 seem to butt heads often, but the HX30 seems to offer the same amount of flow up top with a whole lot less lag on smaller capacity engines. And comes in a lot cheaper too. I say that despite running a 2871 / GT-RS #buyersremorse

Good to know about pistons tho. Have seen ~320whp on a GT28R but with CP pistons & rods, and take a beating for a number of years before the main bearings finally gave up the ghost

5. pointz

pointz Member

Yea for sure i wouldnt wanna run more than 300 on a 2560r.

There are quite a few holsets that are good for his targets tho!

6. r3k1355

r3k1355 Active Member

OP said he wanted 300 at the wheels, so at least 350 at the crank if not abit more.
    T28R will do 300 at the crank but thats it, a GT2871R or similar would do 300 at the wheels.

Stock engine can manage that power, but at least replace the bearings. Can forge it if you want, if you wanna spend the money.
    Stock manifold would probably manage it as well with abit of light porting.

Everything depends on your budget really.

7. BenRice

BenRice Active Member

And what state the motor is currently in

If it's in pieces then a little bit of future proofing is a good idea (but don't get carried away)

If it's in one piece and has good compression and no signs of bearing wear then i'd be tempted to run it as is and build a 2nd block on the side

8. r3k1355

r3k1355 Active Member

CA's always have some kind of bearing wear.

Especially over here where every engine has been treated like total shit.

• Like Like x 2
  9. niksa.barisic

niksa.barisic New Member

i have like a zillion friends tellin me to go 2jz what was my first plan then it seems like it would be much more money with a 2jz in and to get it to 400-500hp... i simply donno what to do :/

and i fkin love a 6cylinder :/

10. BenRice

BenRice Active Member

Friends like spending money that isn't theirs

You don't want to go SR but you're considering a 2JZ?

Best do some research first. Have a look / search through the build threads and see what people have done to get those power levels

11. danjohnston92

danjohnston92 New Member

I have a complete running 300bhp ca18det with gearbox if your interested some parts to note are new T28 turbo, tubular manifold, ported and polished inlet manifold, stage 3 ecu, 444cc injectors, walbro 255 pump, z32 afm and cone filter
    mines fpr
    few other bits and bobs..
    if you are interested in any bits/ spare parts?

Danny.

12. niksa.barisic

niksa.barisic New Member

Danny thanks for the offer but i will go on with mine...

So fellow drifters i am with complete engine sitting at the machine shop and waiting for parts....

As for block it is currently standard but will go for a 1stage overbore or how do u say so the pistons will be 83.5mm

The crank is machined and polished at stage 1 too at 0.025, so it needs 0.025 bearings...

So i would need recommendations for this size pistons and bearings and what to get for rebuilding the head etc?

Please help.. i will start orders next week

13. niksa.barisic

niksa.barisic New Member

Anyone on pistons and rods? experience? any rebuilding to the head for that kinda whp?