CA18DET preservation society

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by dori_wey, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Doonits

Doonits Member

What's exactly fucked up?

2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

I think he means the engine in general.

Compression test and a leakdown test to check you've not fucked it over.
    Then like Chunky Nugget suggested.

If you've wrecked te headgasket or warped the head then fixing an airlock is the least of your worries.

3. hoagy5

hoagy5 Member

Is the fan belt still on? Check the alternator isn't seized as this would cause running issues. Sounds like a boost leak or MAF problem though. If it had a misfire it wouldn't idle at 1400.

4. Doonits

Doonits Member

Getting to the car on Friday / Sunday so I'll keep you updated. Thank you for the tips so far!

5. OllieEN

OllieEN Member

Another one for you CA heads, car has trouble starting once up to temperature? Will eventually start after a few seconds if I open the throttle a teeny bit and once started my throttle position will rev it up to about 2k, any ideas? Fitting a new fuel pump this weekend but other than that is there anything else I could look in to?

6. 1N5_N15

1N5_N15 Member

Check the spark plugs if they are sooty that can cause a hard starting situation

7. Doonits

Doonits Member

Same. It starts close to okay ( quite bad lol ) when cold, when it's warm it barely starts.

8. OllieEN

OllieEN Member

Fitted new sparks about a month or two ago. Previous ones didn't look in too bad a condition but I will have a pog when I get the chance.

9. Doonits

Doonits Member

I got brand new spark plugs, didn't change a thing, imo. even made it worse than it was before.

10. Mgentry90

Mgentry90 Member

Fitting engine into ford Capri.

Got a grey plug that sits near the starter motor feed wires.
    7 wires- along bottom: green/white, green/orange, yellow/White, yellow/black, along top: green, space, white/red, yellow/green.

I have a length of 3 core used from a friends sierra conversion with the correct plug on the end. earth coloured wire going to the yellow/white wire and a black coloured wire going to the White/red wire. Can someone please confirm that the yellow/white wire needs an earth and the White/red needs live. And tell me if its switched live from anywhere. Thanks

Also, where does the black wire with the ring terminal on it go from the alternator? Is that also an earth?

11. wowhestall

wowhestall New Member

Hiya guys,

Sorry to register just to post this but I'm really struggling to say I like the CA18DET at the moment :( ..

Andy

12. Dirk Jan

Dirk Jan Member

That seems properly fucked yes.

13. HellBoy98

HellBoy98 Member

hello, how hard is it to change the head gasket while it s in the car? nissan 200sx s13

14. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Easy to change the gasket, but obviously you can't deck the block (should it need it)

15. Mgentry90

Mgentry90 Member

I have a yellow/white wire coming off a sensor next to my oil filter. It goes into a grey plug. I haven't got the other plug or wiring, where does this yellow/white wire go to? Thanks

16. sxnutter

sxnutter Member

Its the knock sensor should have a round connector on it and goes on the green plug under the oil filter i.i.r.

17. Mgentry90

Mgentry90 Member

Isn't the knock sensor just below head gasket in towards middle of block?

18. Chunky Nugget

Chunky Nugget honkeytits!!

If its next to the filter probably the oil pressure switch dude. Knock sensor is green with a round plug, pressure is 2 pin next to the filter.

19. Chunky Nugget

Chunky Nugget honkeytits!!

[HR][/HR]Sorry i think it might be single pin, but the plug is big covered with a rubber boot.

20. BakerScott

BakerScott New Member

Hey guys, had an oil change and then a week later the oil light started very occasionally flickered once or twice when cold, now its constantly/ flickering when revs drop and there's constant tapping from the top end. I think the oil pumps on the way out and not starving the head? Nissan being Nissan want £750 to fix, im 20 mins from Horsham Dev and waiting for a call back with a quote but I need this sorting asap! Could possible do it myself but not sure how long it'll take?