CA18DET s13 idle Problem

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Chowchu, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Chowchu

Chowchu New Member

Hi guys
    just need alittle help and advice tbh.
    picked up a 1989 200sx s13 with a CA18DET engine.got it cheap as a non runner about 4-5 weeks ago now. i got the car running just by doing a full service as well as cleaning the fuel tank with new fuel and fuel filter as well as a new battery of course. it was running like a right bag of shit misfiring on the 4th cylinder. had a look over it and the fuel tank and fuel filter was just clogged up it 20 years of crap and was getting into the fpr and fuel rail and then clogging the injectors. so put some injector cleaner in the fuel changed the Fpr to the standard one on the rail cleaned the rail and the injectors.
    the car now firing on all cylinders and running better. few hours later once we started her up again to move would rev nice and sound nice about about 2 grand then the moment you take your foot of the gas would go to die and just idle real low sounds like it was about to cut out but then would pick up rev after a min but still idle real shit. when we went to drive it just would not rev and keeps cutting out does anyone have any clue what i can do or what it might be ?? cheers

2. Lukeypoo

Lukeypoo Member

Personal I'd see if anyone would be willing to take it off your hands.. Sound like a money pit..
    I might no a guy ;)

3. Just-James

Just-James Member

look in your arch loom mate, had this problem on my s14a different car but it was the fix, the wire for the knock sensor had been eaten by the tyre.. on reconnection it worked fine

4. Blake7

Blake7 Member

Could be an air leak, low compression. Guess work without looking though

5. Chowchu

Chowchu New Member

HaHA cheers luke i think i spend a little bit of money on it as i got it so cheap haha.

Yer looms seem all Fine James the car even had the wheel arch cover still on so looms all good :).

Hey Blake7 yer cheers we think that is the problem cos one moment it running lean then rich so going to take of all the pipe work re fit and then spray some brake cleaner all around the inlet manifold :) cos compression seems fine all round at 150

6. johnny blaze

johnny blaze New Member

Hey man, ive had exact same thing with mine. I cleaned the AFM. Used nail polish remover and very small paint brush. Look through a magnifing glass. Hope it helps.