Cheap BMW coilovers on the way

Thread in 'Driftworks Products & Enquiries' started by james, Sep 17, 2008.

1. 20vWill

20vWill Active Member

Brother of Ians, that sounds like maybe rear top mounts? Call me when you need rear top mounts (you will sooner or later) I have da solutionz x

2. Ian.G

Ian.G 86 ColdTurkey

I thought that too bother. I had a check the other day and the ringenwagon has tein top mounts (it had collies before I got it and I think the previous owner was maybe to lazy to put the stocku mounts back on - or - they were screwed) and std dampers - they all seem tight. I hear the convertible rear mounts are stronger for some reason ?

Thats what makes me think the springs as I hear its common for the spring tops to just break off (where the radius tightens at the top) - happened to 2 other people I know with E46 M3s - but it seems quite common on e36 and e46 cars - m-spec or not. Fine at higher speeds but they just rattle over bumps at < 30mph. I will check when I get a chance to plop it on a ramp - hard to check when its on the deck. Either Ebach or Tein lowering springs are cheaper than stock bimmer replacements - but maybe Mr Philip and the boys have an affordable coilover solution ?

Bushes seem to be consumables for m3 peeps who do a lot of track work. I guess its the extra stress of lugging those big heavy electric heated leather seats about LOL.

3. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

Thanks Ian. That's EXACTLY one of the noises I've been having problems getting identified. Winner, looks like I may be able to justify the coilovers sooner than I thought.

4. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

:nod: :)
    Yes, there are specific fitments available for the Touring models, and also for the self levelling air suspension models. As it happens, I'm getting a test set fitted to my E39 touring with SLS very shortly ;)

We're not expecting these to be the world's most amazing coilovers for that price, but they seem to fill a gap in the market nicely and providing the quality and ride is decent and as promised, we'll be happy :)

5. kiruji

kiruji Active Member

How long before you'll have E34 stuff in, do you reckon? :D

6. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

as soon as we've got a set tested and are happy, they'll be available, so it's likely to be a couple of weeks as the test set will have to come from Germany

You could have some sooner if you're willing to test a set too, but we couldn't make any promises about them until we've used them ourselves.

7. kiruji

kiruji Active Member

James, I'm always willing to test DW stuff :D

8. Rhys_sx

Rhys_sx -NightWalkers-

I will test come for my E36 325 . Got cash waiting for some coilovers so glad these on the way

9. prisspringle

prisspringle Member

i'd offer to test them but no pennys atm to buy them with:cry:

chris

10. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

Ok, I'll see what I can arrange, I'm sure we can get a few sets for this initial test :)

For reference, these aren't Driftworks coilovers, they are Supersport brand.

11. sideways.taff

sideways.taff - www.tafftune.com -

Are they coil on shock rears or are they just seperate adjustable spring platforms and a shock for the trailing arms?

12. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

I should know that tomorrow when I get all the info through.

They list fitment options for both adjustable and non adjustable height rears for most beemers, but there's not much cost difference in them, so I can't see any point in getting the non adjustable ones.

13. Rhys_sx

Rhys_sx -NightWalkers-

Ah right i thought there were going to be control system ones . May wait and c then before parting with the readys

14. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

Nah, these are ones we're bringing in to fill a gap rather than developing ourselves.

They aren't really promoted in the UK, but they are TUV and ISO9001 approved, come with a 2 year warrantee and there seem to be plenty of satisfied customers worldwide. At that price they'd have to be really crappy to not be worth it.

15. sideways.taff

sideways.taff - www.tafftune.com -

I'd be interested in getting a proper coilover rear with height and damping adjustment rather than what I've currently got with a Bilstein shock and short coilover spring on the spring platform on the trailing arm. I've got a coilover front setup but thats home made and doesn't allow as much ride height adjustment as I'd like before hitting the stops, especially with the crappy cheapo camber plates I have..

Any chance you could get some Ground Control camber plates?! :D

16. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

If you want someone to test e36 M3 ones I can probably do that for you James. I imagine I'm a bit late, but hey, worth a try.

Failing that, how much are we talking for a set really? Everyone else seems to jump up the price by about 200 quid a set going from normal to m-cars.

17. sammysideways

sammysideways Active Member

awesome:thumbs:

any chance of some good seat rails to match/rival your super low nissan seats as there ace?

#37 sammysideways, Sep 18, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  18. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

Ahh pooh, Ive only just bought my ebay special Jamex coilys for the sport.

19. kiruji

kiruji Active Member

Any news? :D

20. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member