Choosing an Battery Impact 1/2" Gun for wheel nuts/bolts

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by silverzx, Nov 10, 2015.

1. silverzx

silverzx Member

Hi guys,

After a battery powered impact gun for undoing wheel nuts/bolts as getting fed up of winding over and over again.

Just want something cheap and cheerful, as long as it can tighten/loosen wheel nuts fast, that's all I care about.

Here's what I'm thinking:

£88 - 24v Li-Ion Cordless Impact Wrench Gun 1/2" Drive 2 Twin Lithium Batteries | eBay
    Should do the job right? OR can anyone else recommend one around this price?

Also, I know I'm better off with a second hand Snap-On / branded one but can't trust 2nd hand batteries and replacement batteries aren't usually cheap...!

2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

I bought an eBay jobbie, one like this.

It's been fine, does wheel botls, suspension bolts, crank bolts etc etc.

Used it to strip a couple of cars, I think the only ones it struggles with are when someone's gone mental with a windy gun while putting wheel nuts/bolts on.

3. silverzx

silverzx Member

4. Clark3y

Clark3y Member

Do yourself a favour and get a snapon, the cheap ones are dog shit. I got one of the machine mart ones as did a friend at the same time. Anything which is remotely tight it will not undo, including wheel nuts tightened to 90lbft, if you use this alone to tighten nuts they will come loose. It broke after a couple of months, got a replacement which is just as shit as the first one. The one my friend got recently broke too. I would say it is exactly the same as that draper one but a different colour.

5. PurcyP

PurcyP Member

6. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Milwaukee or gtfo.

7. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Mr De-lam here, I use a Milwaukee 1/2" lithium driver, comes with 2 batteries and charger for around £250 and it is a great wee gun, all you really need for a drift day and plenty enough for general maint.

Doesn't have the torque of a Snap-on but also doesn't have the price or size.

8. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

9. silverzx

silverzx Member

Maybe I'll wait until Xmas time and put it on the wish list...

The whole point of it being battery is so I can take it out and about with me, drift days, streeto etc.

Not interested in a compressor powered one.

10. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Right country, wrong Andy.

11. PurcyP

PurcyP Member

Because putting a compressor and its accessories into a s14 for a bit of streeto is reet convenient.

with this one, its both portable and you wont need a windy gun, unless you are part of a f1 tyre changing team

12. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

my advice would be to get the machine mart one. not the cheapest one they do the next one up. wait till they have another sale (which is like every damn month) I used my mates one daily in a garage environment and it coped pretty well, it was also half past dead when I started using it so a new one will be even better.

i got given a brand one of those neilson ones last week at work and its shit.

i would say a secondhand one is usually going to be fucked as why else would someone sell it?

13. Munkul

Munkul Active Member

milwaukee is the king of the hill.

I have the 450Nm Makita 18v one, simply because I already have a drill and two batteries. It's more than enough.

I wouldnt get anything other than li-ion battery tech from one of the big manufacturers. Not only do the batteries last longer, you get more power, and the whole lot lasts so much longer than "DIY" level stuff.

Buy cheap, buy twice. Spend £250-£300 and you can use it for a decade or two.

14. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Have had a Ryobi for 2 years now and has been fine. Charger blew up because i dropped a staple in it by accident, the retailer swapped it out no questions asked.

Grabbed the charger, 2 battery & drill pack, then bought the impact gun skin (no batteries). One+ is amazing, bought the stereo/battery charger/phone charger thing off a mate. Totally getting a line trimmer next.

Here's what i bought:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...d_t=1401&pf_rd_p=449598687&pf_rd_i=1000752343

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...d_t=1401&pf_rd_p=449598587&pf_rd_i=1000752343

15. PurcyP

PurcyP Member

Whats a machine mart one? They dont have own brand, do you mean the clarke one?

16. diamondsink

diamondsink Kyouto Drift

Look at the Amphour of the batteries that cheap one was only 1.3Ah was as decent ones will be 3-4Ah. £400 is still cheap compared to SnapOn. I heard Ingersoll make the SnapOn gun

17. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

HAHAHAH, apologies :)

Mistookended identity :p

18. scouse

scouse Active Member

19. Michael7s

Michael7s Member

is 350Nm enough to undo wheel nuts?

20. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Yeah but not if they are properly tight/been on for a while.
    You can dream about crank and hub bolts though.