Converting S14 from auto to manual

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by DriftS14, Oct 1, 2008.

1. DriftS14

DriftS14 Member

What's up peeps?
    Just wondering could any of you shed some light on this subject for me or point me in the direction of a thread.
    Just want to know how much the whole swap would cost to do, d.i.y. or to pay someone including the cost of a manual box.
    And how much of a pain in the ass is it? and what's the story with notifying the insurance company etc??
    Any info at all would be great... Cheers
    Sean

2. Rayne

Rayne Member

Here in the states an auto to manual conversion could cost as little as $400 up to or beyond $1,500. However that all depends on the parts you get and whether or not you did the whole swap yourself.

Auto to Manual Swap for an S14.

I personally am in the process of doing the transmission swap and have spent at least $700 on it.

#2 Rayne, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  3. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

Over here it (UK) would cost about £350 for the parts and a couple of hundred to get the job done.

4. DriftS14

DriftS14 Member

Really that seems savage cheap! well can i ask and obvious question then, why dont more people do it? the whole body of an auto would be tighter the engine would never have got to many nasty shock's only problem in the gearbox and considering the price of auto's surely the best way of getting a mint example for handy money even counting the conversion.
    So sick of looking at 'drift' cars that are hanging apart and fellas lookin 7-8k!!
    what's the story with the mot and the like's with having an extra pedal and a gearstick that can now move left to right as well as up and down?????
    Cheers lads for all the info!
    Seam :dw:

5. DriftS14

DriftS14 Member

Cheers for the thread dude!