Corey's new Sierra project sr20det!

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Corey_XR4I, Nov 2, 2010.

1. pizza_boy

pizza_boy Member

corr, what is it with the SR20 swaps popping up recenly?!

Got a volvo & a sierra now getting nissan engines! seems like people are out to prove that the "cheapo" starter car options do have some serious potential! be interested to see how this turns out :thumbs:

2. T.K

T.K kudo fruiting

Looks awesome.

3. Corey_XR4I

Corey_XR4I XR4I 24V FTW

Thanks for comments,

Car doesnt really stand me at alot so i dont mind throwing cash at it :)

reason SR20 swap is i dont want to be the same as everything else when i go to the likes of ford fair/ RSOC days and people just saying "Oh its got a YB"....its boring, so id rather be different and pound for pound the sr20 is a much cheaper solution to the YB in my oppinion, even tho ive got 90% of a YB in my garage, i know i can sell that and get atleast 250-300bhp SR...

But before all that happens, ive started off 150bhp 2.8 cologne, exceeded that in my oppinion and would benefit from a extra 70bhp which is the 24v cosworth engine, and when i blow that up thats when the magic SR swap will happen... just gradually moving up with slightly more power each time rather then jumping into a 300bhp turbo car and me being under experienced....

So im hoping to get my 24v very very soon and attend the next drift day at teesside, plenty of pics and videos will be posted up to keep you interested...

Corey

4. pizza_boy

pizza_boy Member

True enough that, i totally agree with upgrading the power in stages. If you'd hopped in that car with 300+bhp straight away then it'd probbabbly have been wrapped round a wall by now.

What about the 1jz engine that a lot of the big power pro cars are running?? or maybe an S2000 engine?

Seen the s2000 engine in an e36 bmw (see youtube...was some jap thing, seemed to go alright though!) and honda engines rev to silly levels, and take being abused pretty well...

However im sure the 1jz's been tweaked up to 600+bhp, and its gotta be a good engine for so many people to arse around putting it in the place of the sr20?

Idk, unless you've got one knocking about i realy cant see the logic in shoving the sr20 in to be different...if it were me i'd look about and see what people were replacing sr20's with and drop a standard one of those in. If the YB would fit straight in, and could give more or less the same power levels, for the same money then other than causing yourself a shedload of headaches doing it and being diffferent i cant see a point. HOWEVER dont take this as nay saying, putting you down, saying its a shit idea, etc etc. But if you're going to go through that much arse ache, why not shove something in it that makes it BETTER than it would be with a YB in it?

Rotary would make for high rev's and silly power outputs without too much hassle

V8 of some description - think lexus had one? can imagine that being very reliable and having shitloads of torque..and making a very nice noise.

Just seems like a lot of ballache for an engine thats not all that special...by all means correct me if im majorly wrong, and please dont take it offensively in the slightest! :thumbs:

Talking of the 24v's, saw some vids of the BDC sierra with one fitted...looked like some seriously good fun!

5. Corey_XR4I

Corey_XR4I XR4I 24V FTW

I know what your saying mate,

Im going SR route because they can be had below £1k, cheap to tune and fairly reliable below 300bhp ive been told... not just to be different but i want to make a cheap but worth while transplant, 1jz are what? £1500? but could be future plans for sure....

For now im sticking with my plans of 24v until it pops then mate a sr20 with a mt75 hopefully, ill probally end up buying a crash damaged 200 and go from there,

any imput is worth it, weather its critisism or constructive cristisism i dont mind as im still learning and will always welcome anyone to have there say :)

Corey

6. pizza_boy

pizza_boy Member

Saab 2.3 turbo? PPC mag had an article on shoving one of them in RWD configuration...apparently they're pretty much bombproof engines, capable of silly power....and best of all can be had for next to nothing!

hell, have the whole donor car for £300!

1995 SAAB 9000 CDE 2.3 FULL TURBO AUTO, FSH, HUGE SPEC | eBay UK

In terms of a RWD box, one of the omega ones can be modified to fit (dont hold me to that, just going on what i can remember.)

Score one with "trionic 5.2" and people on the saab forum can map em for you....TD04 turbo, remap and a 3"downpipe they reckon is good for 280-300BHP. Think the engines either came with a TD04 as standard or a T25 so thats a breakers yard upgrade.

Tbh i reckon if you got a clean saab with the mappable ecu, hoiked the engine then flogged the car in bits to the saab owners forums then you'd easily make enough to pay for the downpipe and turbo upgrade...if not most of the donor car aswell!

turbobricks:
    I know i sure as f*ck wouldnt run a 200 horse engine at 550 on stock internals, but it shows that they've got potential eh? :D

#46 pizza_boy, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  7. rtlkyuubi

rtlkyuubi Member

pizza boy your a legend for mentioning that engine as i had completely forgot about them. As for the gearbox, iirc they have the same bolt pattern as the vauxhall XE engine and theres loads of bellhousing converters to bolt a ford type 9 box too but type 9 boxes are pretty shit with any power.

Also Corey is there any reason your wanting to bolt a mt75 to the SR instead of the standard box?

8. Corey_XR4I

Corey_XR4I XR4I 24V FTW

Pizza boy -

Ive been doing alot of thinking today and fucking about with what money i have to play with on the conversion and im slightly changed in the mind atm...

Instead of SR, ive been looking at T5 engines (ST Focus)... T5 are 240bhp as standard and can be had for around £500-700 for a full car!!!, then proven a dreamscience remap/code red are producing 280-300bhp allday long.... for the cost of the engine say £300 once scrapped/sold the rest of car and a remap £200 im thinking its a cheaper way to get to the 300bhp....whats your thoughts on this?....plus Volvo/st engines are good for 350+ on stock internals, ive alot of friends who can prove this

rtlkyuubi -

Reason for me wanting to stick with MT75 is the box ive got has Quaife internals and is supposed to be bomb proof... but now im thinking of cashing it in ££££ and adding money to my drift funds....thats drifting not buying other bolt on shit lol, after my 24v blows up the only thing im doing to it after is finding a 300bhp reliable engine for as cheap as possible, then doing no more other then attending as many drift days as possible

Corey

9. pizza_boy

pizza_boy Member

Coming from turbobricks...judging by that the volvo T5 engine is still a cracking powerplant, but the internals just arent quite as strong, and the injection system isnt as good. I realy dont know where you'd stand on the DIY map's aswell...cause saving £300? £400? on a decent map is going to give a huge chunk of engine buget back to be spent elsewhere. big turbo's, huge injectors whatever floats your boat/breaks your gearbox :p (incase anyone cares, they were on about shoving the engine in the back of a 911!)

Only thing i'd say about using an engine out of a focus, would be that its a fast ford. it's gonna have had the shit ragged out of it from day one...a saab or volvo doesnt have the boyracer creds, so the engines gonna be had cheaper and be in better condition. Plus if your engine happened to come in a volvo estate then not being funny but they're built like tanks!! im sure you'd get more scrap value from it. Cant see one of them saabs being built lightweight either tbh. The focus is designed as a sportscar, and being a ford they aint exactly built exeptionally strong, so its gonna weigh less.

Bomproof quaife box attached to a saab lump with a map, bigger turbo, free flowing filter and a straight pipe exhaust...maybe whack in some ARP head bolts, and a strong headgasket...i'd hazard a guess at a reliable 350-400 horses? Enough to start worrying about how strong the diff, driveshafts and prop is anyway :D and the bellhousing adaptors to your box are available off the shelf!

Avoid anything that comes to mind straight away as a fast, or sporty car for an engine donor, this way it wont have been bought with the intention of being driven fast, and the engine will probbably last longer...plus a FSH dealer stamped is a good thing to look for aswell, this way you know the engines not had maintinence skimped on.

10. lyf

lyf Member

IMO you could pick an 850 r up for about a grand, plenty of them around and most are autos so they haven't been popped off the limiter too much. Plus the r version is the full 240 bhp rather than the normal t5 engine which I think are around 215 and if my memory serves me correctly the r were given better internals?! I'd def use the volvo engine as it probably has one of the best pedigree around starting from the early 90s i'n the 850 right up to the present day i'n the focus rs! Plus the noise from them is not desimilar to the old Audi quarto noise

11. speedykonzales

Trionic 5.2 is not very good, 5.5 is better, thats MY94 to MY98. B204 or B234 engines are very strong. Olli in finland has a B204 (2.0 liter) 666 hp saab 9-3 or was it 900. Stock internals except camshafts. I had a B202 (2.0 liter old type engine) with Holset HX40 Super boosting at 2.0 bar with everything stock. Connecting rods were bigger than 2JZ and same length. With custom bellhousing or with some mods you can use any gearbox.

#51 speedykonzales, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  12. pizza_boy

pizza_boy Member

Is 5.5 gonna need a pro to map it though?? As far as i was aware the 5.2 was the one to aim for cause it was a piece of piss to get a map for, and install it yourself?

All im thinking of is the best £/bhp ratio - and having to splash out hundreds getting it mapped would severely hurt that.

proves the potential theese things have got :D

or have the even less popular saab for half that, again with an auto box. Plus people are starting to realise that the 850's are quick little cars and its pushing prices up and making them less availible :( Just depends whats availible in the scrappy eh :thumbs:

13. speedykonzales

No Pro tuners needed. They should have available software for free. If I remember correctly Trionic Suite 2 should have up to Stage 6 software available. But it's really easy to tune it yourself. The easiest way is to change the injector constant (when you have bigger injectors), only one number. Secondly disable all adaption and third is to remove fuel cut when braking with engine. And Trionic has launch control also.

14. pizza_boy

pizza_boy Member

Launch control as a standard feature and all DIY mappable?

Thats pretty good for stock engine management!!

Only thing that stops me from considering it is that a 340 transmission (prop, box, driveshafts etc..) cant handle a pissy 160bhp from a clio engine. If i was to convert mine to 360 running gear that would allow for a tested 300-350, and for that kind of power the volvo engines are a bolt in swap and provide that kind of power with ease. Just doesnt make any sense spending the extra money and going for the extra arseache to make something work that wont give any huge gains...without breaking things anyway. And even after all thats said and done, is it even worth chucking that amount of cash into a bloody 300 series anyway?!

edit: HAR HAR! there we go...im not mad. saab turbo engine in sierra...

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/2/viewthread.php?tid=20394

cant at the moment find any videos of it but will keep looking.

#54 pizza_boy, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  15. Corey_XR4I

Corey_XR4I XR4I 24V FTW

Right now, since the dates have been announced for teesside drift days this is the plan:

Fit the coilovers again (send them off for rebuild after)
    Fit my adjustable TCA's
    Fit the 24v

The 24v engine will be in this until atleast the 13th of june, then its time to decide what conversion i want, im more persuaded towards the ST/T5R engine right now and pretty much feel as tho pound for pound the SR would be a poor swap..

So this week its time to bust out the spanners and shit and get the coilovers on (Today)

Corey

16. pizza_boy

pizza_boy Member

Urgh..tell me about it, still gotta fit lowering blocks + refil my dampers. I hate suspension cause you can guaruntee 100% that everythings seized up and is gonna be a pig to do....specially on a 20+ year old car.

Sounds like you've got it all figured out tho, best of luck to you mate - ill be keeping an eye on this one :thumbs:

17. Corey_XR4I

Corey_XR4I XR4I 24V FTW

Update timeee...

Ive booked a day off work next monday to do the drift day at teesside again, problem is im a last minuite warrior lol, engine still isnt fitted...

So this saturday (Massive thanks to Vlad for use of engine crane) me, paul scullion and my dad are going to be building the car pretty much from shell up it seems as ive got the 24v to go in, mt75 box, 7.5" rear diff instead of 7", diff carrier swapped over to house the extra half inch, adjustble arms here and there.... quite abit as you can see.

So thats the plans, ive took the day off work and im determined to smoke my rear tyres up next week.

Classic ford are meant to be either coming to this drift day or next to do a feature on me (hoping it will be next so i can have my T5R engine in) but they are planning to do a good feature on all my fords lol.... so probally end up with a few of your cars being in the mag too...but thats not important.

Heres what my nice postwomen brought me whilst ive been lazing around and not doing engine transplants lol :

[​IMG]

Ive also got 241cc x6 injectors on the way from a Vectra V6 to help fueling :)...hopefully mrs postwomen will bring me them before monday

I shall update you all next week depending on weather or not i make it drifting lol

Corey

18. Corey_XR4I

Corey_XR4I XR4I 24V FTW

Well been a busy chap lately,

Finally got a unit which will hold 5-9 cars inside and out, so most my time has been building that up as best i can...

[​IMG]

But other then that, ive been approached by 2 well known ford car magazines to do a photoshoot for there mags, one of them want to do it at teesside and the other wants to do a full shoot on all my cars in my unit...

The xr4i is coming along nicely, got the injectors and stuff posted to me, Adj TCA arrived, left hand drive window wiper motor, so finnally my car can start to look less of a mess lol... not that it bothers me too much but if its going in mags id like it to be respectable.

Both mags want me to run a 24v for now and in the not so distant future both have said they want to come back and do another shoot on it with its T5R engine... so a before and after sort of thing i think...

here is some pics to show the work thats been going on, not too much but it keeps the following eyes happy to see some progress:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Doesnt look like too much work no?... well once we dropped it out we found the engine mounts where perished and decided to snapped off lol, making the lump not connected to the subframe and a ballache to move, but other then that it was quite simple

19. Jaanus

Jaanus New Member

just have to post this video:wack:

removing engine from my sierra.

#59 Jaanus, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017