Cusco Mech diffs - MZ or RS

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Jason, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Jason

Jason Nurse?

right, the MZ is in!
    1st impressions are you can certainly feel the difference!!
    As youd expect, it spins the inside wheel up doing slow tight manouvers, and initially it 'feels' like it wants to push the car in a straight line more, once again as youd expect.

i was driving home in the dark, and the wet, with completely fooked camber & castor angles at the front due to my bodged tension rod, so i drove like a big girls blouse :dermal:
    but even so i could feel that it just wanted to kick the back out, even at seemingly safe speeds around roundabouts :D

i just had a quick blat out of a couple of sidee turnings and i can REALLY feel the difference.. its excellent, a quick blat of the throttle sends it way sideways, and just slight blips of the throttle keep it there. It feels a lot more controllable in a slide than the viscous unit. Rather than the slide being goverened by what the viscous dif wants to do its more like controlling it with the throttle.
    In a strange sort of way it feels more controllable sideways than it does not! :wack:

it does give off nice reassuring 'clunks' on low speed manouvers too, just to remind you its there (as if you could forget!!)

According to Brett at option, the differnences between the MZ and RS are that the RS can be adjusted between 60 and 100% lock, whereas the MZ is set at 60% . The MZ also has a more agressive lock, whereas the RS is more progressive. The standard diff locks about 30% so this is double the lock, probably more for mine as the diff was worn.. also you have lock off throttle, which is a new experience for me, takes a bit of getting used to i can imagine, but is quite excellent. It does mean that simply releasing the throttle will not stop a slide anymore, so ill have to treat it with a lot of respect.

MASSIVE thanks to the guys at option, not only did they sort out the car very quickly (dropped it off sat afternoon, picked it up tues night), but they also sorted some niggly suspension things, and cleaned the car for me, fooking excellent :worthy: :) :)

cant wait to try it out properly now... :D :D

2. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

Good stuff :) was it run by Option then? or did you do it?

3. Jason

Jason Nurse?

in the process of doing it now mate :) was randomly doing figure 8's when i got back last night... i must of looked quite the fool :)

4. Al_s13

Al_s13 Member

smashing, cant wait to see it :thumbs:

5. Jason

Jason Nurse?

you cant see it mate its under the car in the diff housing :rolleyes: :D :D

6. Al_s13

Al_s13 Member

i'll just have to wait till you crash and roll

7. Paz

Paz -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY- UK Drift Since 2001

One thing to watch for when your drifting, if youre sideways in 3rd say, and slowing the car down with the handbrake and/or foot brake, when you drop a gear and release the clutch it'll spit the car even more sideways unless you revmatch perfectly.. Takes a bit of getting used to!

As for running it it, go here:
    http://www.kaazusa.com/faq.asp
    (scroll to the bottom for the run in guide)

Have fun!

Paz

8. Jason

Jason Nurse?

ah, excellent, thanks paz :) :)

so you think i should change the oil after running in like that? funnily enough thats what i was doing last night, id heard before about figure of 8's and it seemed the right thing to do :)
    what oil do you use?? anything special?? :)

9. matt

matt -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

use a non synthetic oil, thats the most important part. other than that its fine to use prett much anything, there should have been a bit of paper with the diff that gives the spec of cusco's own oil. I think the oilman dude has something of equal spec so use that if you wanna be hella nice to it. I'm just using castrol non synthetic and changing it every engine oil change :)

10. Jason

Jason Nurse?

yep i got the oilmans oil and it will be going in :thumbs: [note opie oils stickers on my car :D]

saw you on sunday matt, but didnt get chance to speak/ pester you about yor diff :) :wave:

11. matt

ah, wasn't sure if you were there, was looking out for your car:)

have you done a post bedding in oil change yet? I've done the figure 8 thing and a few of my favourite corners and am amazed how docile it is :eek: I'm hoping it'll become loads scarier after an oil change :thumbs:

12. Jason

Jason Nurse?

really???! im mid running in at the mo, and the thing is LAIRY now!!! dirving it in the wet as it is here and going into roundabouts at a slow safe speed and i can still feel the back coming out! its lairy as fook, and nice and harsh when it locks.... :D :D
    docile is the last word id use for it :eek:
    car wasnt there as it was having the diff fitted :) :)

13. matt

yeah, it does want to oversteer more, but its not the 'widowmaker' everyone seems to think a proper diff is. maybe it just can't overcome the understeer from 175/60 tyres and 5deg camber :rolleyes:

14. Jason

Jason Nurse?

LOL 'widowmaker'

next time i see you at some random drift event well have to compare :dermal: but mine seems fooking lairy and its getting lairyer as i run it in... :D which is good..

i suppose you cant really tell till its properly run in etc etc thought so well have to see.. let me know how it goes mate :)

15. ant

ant R32 GTR-S

lol lairy is how my welded diff is all the time its cool :) :thumbs: you will like how it drifts its alot more fun

16. Hates_

Hates_ Member

I don't know if its just me or my driving, as I drive hard dry or wet, but I've never had one lairy moment or felt the car trying to go sideways unless I actually try to make it. I can still pretty much go fast round roundabouts without the car feeling like its on the verge of braking lose. :confused: :confused: :confused:

17. ant

ant R32 GTR-S

i think its because mine is constantly locked it does bad things on corners in the wet

18. Matt_S

Matt_S SELLIN' UP!!!

Oh dear....

Well, I ordered my Kaaz 2 way diff yesterday. Im going to get it shipped to the UK as I think I may well have cut it a bit tight to get it to the Villa in Florida from California!
    So, should arrive in a week or so.

Jase - How much did Option charge for fitting if you dont mind tellin'?

PM me if you'd rather :)

19. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

Is there a safe oil for all mechanical diffs? I don't know what make mine is, ya see....

20. matt

non synthetic is safe for all diffs. nismos can run synthetic no problem but others don't like it. just keep it as fresh as your engine oil and you'll be fine:)