Custom hydraulic handbrake setup

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by rocky_drifter, Mar 9, 2014.

1. rocky_drifter

rocky_drifter Member

So many problems online with installing hydraulic hand brakes the usual way, spongey pedal, brakes don't work etc.
    What about this way?

Car: r34 gtt
    Parts: ebay hydraulic hand brake and reservoir from scooter.

*Remove line going to rear calibers so the foot pedal is braking only the front brakes.

*install hydro with its own reservoir inside car connected to line going to rear calipers.

In theory the end result would be that the front brakes are controlled by foot pedal and rear brakes controlled by hand brake independant from each other.

What's your thoughts on this?

Has anyone seen it done before?

2. Dex

Dex kut!

yup will work. but having ONLY front wheels braking when hitting the pedal is gonna be intresting to use.
    just get a decent master cilinder (.625 wilwood for instance), bleed till you lost 2 stone. jank, lock, go do mad skids

3. neoxmario

neoxmario Member

i was thinking of doing the same, new hydro is coming in next week so if you fit it and do it your way let, us know the outcome

4. Gh0st

Gh0st Member

Yeah have the above set in my car, foot brakes only works the front and rear brakes are controlled by the hydro.

Works grand anytime I needed to brake and the front breaks weren't enough I pulled on the hydro gently.

I done it out of lazyness tho, no drama plumbing in a hydro the proper way, rear port into MC front port to rear wheels and bleed brakes as normal don't touch hydro.

Tbh I'm taking my hydro out of the car and hooking the back brakes up to the pedal again. Tighten up the std handbrake and learn to drift more instead of laying on the hydro.

5. lezbrucelee

lezbrucelee Southwall Smokers

Mines setup like exactly like this. Front on pedal, Rears on hydro, I use a wilwood 0.7 cylinder and a steel hydro level as the ali one it came with bent straight away. I also ran the brake lines inside the car in cooper and then flexi braided hose through body to the caliper. I've never has any problems with it, I've actually found when i spin and pull hydro on/off/on/off, (whilst on the fronts aswell) it brings the car to a stand still far quicker than just being on the footbrake. I'm pretty sure if you use your car on the road you cant run brakes like this though.

I'll have a look for a picture of it n update if I find it.