Daily Car - Tow the drift car

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by dtmpower, Oct 5, 2005.

1. dtmpower

dtmpower Active Member

I am starting to think that getting a drift car on the road is a no no, and hence want to know people's opinions of having a daily car that car tow a trailer with drift car on... this means 2 things:

Don't have to insure a drift car with mods on the road.

Don't have to drive a drift car to work, running costs, and also chance of it being damaged and broken meaning I can't get to work....

What is a good tow car? Discovery ? Shogun ? Got to be about 7 grand max and ok to drive on the motoway/to work etc etc.... :)

2. CorollaRWD

CorollaRWD -RUTHLESS-

7K on a tow car man the drift car would have to be pretty sweet then

3. dtmpower

dtmpower Active Member

Its not that... more the drift car would be a shed and I dont want to rely on it to get to work etc, especially in winter, I have had a s12 and it was shocking, just felt it would breakdown any second without notice....

4. MJG

MJG Active Member

wouldnt need to spend 7k on tow car and trailer, i think you can get hold of car trailers for around £1k upwards, then yeah maybe a 4x4 or a van would be best. a medium/small merc sprinter van laden with tools and beer :D :thumbs:

sorry though not speaking from experience, i was looking into this myself but was too expensive at the time so i just drive shit drift sheds and use a bike if they were to break down.

5. Old Skool Cars

Old Skool Cars Active Member

Dude, you live in Southampton!!

Pop down to the jap auction and for about 2.5 - 3.5k you will pick yourself up a freshly imported Hi-lux surf, shogun, etc etc with low milage, all the jazz and a tow bar!! ;) that will leave you some good monbey for whatever the jeep needs....betcha nothin but juice and tax and have loadza money left over to drift something desireable!! i bet you will see a FC RX7 down there or some kinda s body for the kinda money you will have left over....If not then pop up to Manchester auction beside picadilly train station in ur new jeep with a trailer and get one up there... :thumbs:

Dont drift dirt...your head will be wrecked when it coughs a leg cos its just a pure shitebox! :euge:

6. dtmpower

dtmpower Active Member

?????????????? :wack:

7. junior

Translation:

My good friend I would advise you not to drift something of sub-standard quality like an S12, your mental well being will be affected by the associated running costs for a sub-standard quality drift car, for example when perhaps it may damage a piston. This example illustrating the prudence that should be shown in purchasing a vehicle fit for the purpose of drifting and not of sub-standard quality.

8. TwinturboCH

TwinturboCH Active Member

PMSL :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

9. TaxiDori

TaxiDori BEER CLINCH

Quality stuff old skool and junior! :D

John i reckon for the money a trailer would cost i'd rather spend it on insurance for a drift car adn then at least you could have a little blast on the road now and then with it. I couldn't only drive my car at track days as they're few and far between and it would drive me nuts. Just get a daily driver crapper and a drifter. I will when i can afford it.

10. Andy_F

Andy_F S13+S15=S28?

Im comtemplating something similar, I don't really fancy turning my IS200 into a drift car :wack: so i was thinking of getting a detachable tow bar for it (so i don't ruin her sexy bum :thumbs: ) then a cheapass trailer of ebay, then a cheap drift car I can fuck up and not worry about. My only problem is that my maximum towing weight is 1,250kg's so my drift car would have to go on one hell of a diet and I don't even know how much a trailer would weigh. :confused:

11. Old Skool Cars

Old Skool Cars Active Member

LOL.... :D Cheers J!!

Perfect translation if i say so myself... ;)

Good Job!

12. MJG

MJG Active Member

driftlexus drifts an IS200 :wack: :wack: do it you girl :p

13. Rob

Rob New Member

Why not get something like a Sierra or an old BMW 5-series?

Then you could have your dedicated drift car on the trailer, but still have the fun of rwd when not towing? :thumbs:

You know it makes sense :D

14. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I'm thinking of getting trailerd Dori car just for the track my dad said he would let me use his car to tow it he's a top notch fella i tell thee and well into his drifting.

15. MJG

MJG Active Member

problem is sierra is only 1180kg so wouldnt be able to tow too much unless you get maybe a granada V6 :D and an e34 5series (1989 - 1995 ish) weighs around 1700kg! which would be pretty cool and as heavy as you need i bet.

16. CorollaRWD

CorollaRWD -RUTHLESS-

I would just spend the money on a well set up drift car, adjustable dampers and massive usuable torque would be lovely on the road really, after looking at the D1 cars running normal sized wheels etc thats the way to go

17. matt

matt -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

yeah, just drive it on the road. It can be a pain when its not working but you get as much practice as you want:)

18. dunc

dunc Member

Not many cars have the towing weights to legally tow a car on trailer, I'd go for a Ford tranny if you plan to do this. Means plenty room for tools, wheels, mattresses etc plus a great towing vehicle.

HTH,

19. _rob_

_rob_ Member

I got a mitsubishi delica for 5500 imported, sva'd tax'd blah blah blah and its awesome! Just need to get a towbar and a trailer now and im off!

20. DriftLexus

DriftLexus BDC Scrutineer

ive got a pajero for sale which ive used to tow all over europe........and very reliable

has all the toys aswell.....and very cheap, as i now use a Hilux