Datsun Z drift??

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by drift-girl, Mar 8, 2011.

1. drift-girl

drift-girl New Member

Ok let me intorduce my self, I'm a new person in the drift world. I also cant spell worth a shit, sorry bout that. I love to drift with a pashion!! All my friends are drifters/crashers while trying. I'm wanting to get me a Datsun Z, im not sure which one quite yet im inbetween a 260 or 280. Everyone in our little 'group' owns a 240, 300, 'delslow', miata, new found corolla, and several more. But sadlly im the only girl in our group and they wont let me drift ANY! Not fair right?? So they told me the only way they would let me drift is if i get my own beast and do it my self, no help from them. So any pointers??

I am dead on getting a Datsun, I would like to know what i need to do, put in it, what type of engine, etc. to let me show the boys that a girl can drift too!

Thanks a fuck load! :thumbs:

2. Papercutout

Papercutout Active Member

The 240Z is the coolest, but out of the 2 you posted as options it's the 260Z. But parts/panels etc for 240Z, 260Z and even the 280Z will be hard to get. Not so much aftermarket support over here either, plenty out in the states though...

I'd encourage you to head for the 280Z because they're not as collectable personally, although a Z31 300ZX wouldn't be bad either :D

Basic drift mods (search in 'other chat' or 'drift chat') are:
    welded diff
    lowered/stiffened
    bucket seat (and harness) - this is optional IMO

And that's it - as a beginner you don't want or need all the other things at first.

Good luck and have fun :D

3. drift-girl

drift-girl New Member

Yea one of the 240s just got a welded diff and its bawlin! Did doughnuts in the middle of the hwy.

if i get the datsun would it be aokay to just start driftin or do i need to put some coilovers in

I know only a little lol the thing about doing anything in the group is doint go in the ditch, from a friend going in one at about 90 in a 240 s13

4. Papercutout

What country are you in? Just seen you write '240 S13' and that only applies in the states, here in the UK they're a 200SX S13, with a 1.8 turbo engine in...

Yeah, ditches are bad! I had my old BMW in one briefly.

5. drift-girl

drift-girl New Member

im in the states

6. Papercutout

That'd explain it...! Then the 240SX is a good base. But you probably knew that already.

Coilovers aren't as important as a locked diff, they're not necessary at all tbh, but you might as well - lets you slam the car, gives height and normally damping adjustability too...

7. Freeze

Freeze New Member

Not sure what you mean by coilovers not being needed, but in my experience they are absolutely needed. Maybe not to start off with but for someone wanting to be in a competitive sport, it should be one of the first things you upgrade after the diff. Height adjustment and suspension tuning is one of the most crucial keys to drifting. When it comes to an S30 chassis, there are only 2 companies that I know of, that make coilovers for easy installation. Arizona Z car and Ksport. Personally, I prefer Ksport due to it's affordability and personal experience with their products. Just keep in mind that because of the cars suspension setup, no matter which brand you go with, the coilovers will have to be welded in, as do all suspension upgrades of this kind on this chassis. I do agree with getting the 280 (z not zx) over the other 2 because of it's collector status not being as high. As far as parts being readily available, in the states, their are many companies that carry all kinds of parts needed. I would be more than happy to give you a list of companies to contact if you are still thinking of going this route. I personally would love to see another S30 drifting. My daughter might be drifting one very soon. Best of luck in what ever you decide. Please keep us updated. :thumbs:

8. huwbertoo

huwbertoo Member

Don't the 240s in come with a slugish slow n/a ka24? also I thought that the price of used usdm s bodys in the us was insane, Surely you would be better importing a silvia, you can get some real cheep ones from japanese used cars and they usualy well equipt for the price :)

9. MrLuke

MrLuke #172

Nothing wrong with a ka. Pretty even to an Sr once a turbo is bolted on :)

10. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Whoever this was was here for a day months ago and never came back, these replys are pointless, especially this one

11. Undertaker

Undertaker Member

:thumbs:

12. ryn004

ryn004 Member

So which car did you pick?