Diesel for drifting .... Yes or no?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by parkers14, Jun 18, 2014.

1. LostKen

LostKen Member

Yes, I have to agree some sr sounds terrible as well, but like the video posted above, just shows that diesel is farting a black smoke and sounds awful again. I suppose its down to personal taste of sounding.

When you say "People who say diesels sound shit have usually never heard one with a proper exhaust" is so funny LOL. You can use this sentence and insert sr engines and m50 instead of diesel engine.
    People who say sr/m50 sounds shit have usually never heard one with a proper exhaust :)

Well I suppose sr20 is one of the most popular choice for drifting because its cheap and easy to get torque from and it is well known to many tuners. So a diesel is a no go for me.

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

What that video proves, which was my point, is that there's literally nothing about the sound of a diesel EXHAUST that sounds different from a petrol.

Nobody, if you heard sound alone, could say that exhaust note was a diesel.

The clattery wank sounds people associate with diesels is the noise from the engine at idle, nothing you hear when moving, and deffo nothing to the volume of a modified cars exhaust, no matter what engine.

3. mantahead

mantahead Member

i played that video, for a few "petrol heads" in work without them seeing the screen and i told them to guess, they couldn't believe it was diesel. It was loud and clear with external speakers.

everyone to their own, i suppose.

4. Drifttrader

Drifttrader Member

You want to hold high revs in a drift and you wont get that from a disiesel

5. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Hold high revs? Really?

Well i've been doing it all wrong for a long time then, I'll remember to down shift to 2nd and bang limiter instead of using the midrange next time.

Thanks for the insight!

6. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

Because everyone knows that the higher the revs, the more power you make. That's why all drift cars are two strokes right? :wack:

7. BHPSeeker

BHPSeeker Member

I'm scrapping the RB25 build then and getting an R1 engine 15k RPM must = instant drift champ!!

8. docwra

docwra Active Member

Fucking hell, since when did having no idea whatsoever make you an expert? Im literally shaking my head at 90% of the posts on this thread, what utter, utter bollocks.

9. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

God Doc havn't you been following the latest trends in D1???

All the pro's go round riding the limiter in second these days :wack:

10. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

This thread, is proof if you need it, that listening to people on forums is the most ridiculous idea ever for advice, as it gives utter retards pulling facts randomly from their anus an equal footing with people who actually know what they fuck they're on about.

11. docwra

docwra Active Member

I was actually chatting to a race instructor a while back who was saying he didnt understand why younger students of his felt the need to hold a car in gear until a millisecond before the limiter cuts in - torque is always backing off by then and power is generally on the slide too.

I said "have you seen the Fast and Furious films?" :D

Keep fighting them Stav, they might actually start listening one day, you never know ;)

12. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

They are weird to drift though, in terms of power delivery.

13. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

So is a small capacity powerful n/a engine compared to a turbo engine.

And just as many people go from the turbo one to the n/a and cry its impossible to drift, when in fact it just needs a totally different style.

14. Rossc0

Rossc0 Diesel Skidder

I skidded my 525 TDS for about 2 years. Diesels are weird to drift, not as much room to play with revs etc but it had more than enough power. I'd certainly buy another and do it all over again

15. silverzx

silverzx Member

I like diesels more than petrols. I prefer the sound of a petrol though.

Heat is always a major contender with diesel tuning. EGT and manifold pressures get very high and heads begin to lift or boil.

I'd like to think I might end up with an old IDI Merc/BMW at some point in my life and just strap a HX35 on, a massive FMIC, a nicely tampered bosch fuel pump, just go nuts.

And still be able to run it on veg oil as a daily.

/dreams

16. Rossc0

Rossc0 Diesel Skidder

Just noticed this.

I only got the E36 325i because my friend smashed the TDS. I would still be using the TDS if it wasnt bent. I still have the engine and plan on putting it in something at some point. Tuning diesels is easy if you know what you're doing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/URL]

And diesel smoke is cool...

17. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Nah, it's not like that.

You have to hold the revs at "X" across the rev range, it's weird/hard to do.
    I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is weird.

That's a bogo 330D - I'm sure some mental Merc thing is different.

18. JZXFTW1

JZXFTW1 Member

Very black smokey

19. Albóndiga

Albóndiga Member

Lol yes, there is an old Mercedes than sounds like hell and drifts very good! But it has at least a turbocharger of an Actros :D

if you have a diesel, why not to try it?

Bye!

20. alwayssideways

alwayssideways New Member

Mate of mine drifts his 1 series derv beemer. Had it chipped etc so pushing out 250bhp n 314ftlb torque. Just moans like a bitch bout the TC kickin in, even when disabled