Diff worries

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by FraserM, Jan 14, 2018.

1. FraserM

FraserM Member

So I've got an r33 gtst diff in my 180, it was getting quite loose and no longer locking, so I had it welded.

All was fine until I had a little crash, which knocked the welds out.

I cleaned all the loose lumps of weld out the diff, got it welded back up again, refilled it and ran it again.

Was fine like this for a few weeks, little bit of whine but nothing extreme.

Took the car out the other day, and the diff locked solid! Luckily was only doing 5mph turning into the top of the road where I live, could've been much worse if it happened at speed or miles from home!

The car would still move about 6 feet in reverse, so I think it'll be a loose bit of weld or something on one tooth of the pinion or crown wheel.

Ended up towing the car back to mine just down the road with both wheels locked solid, got some right funny looks.

Question is, will this just keep happening if I give it another clean out and flush?

Preferred option is to replace it, but ideally I'd like to use an open diff so I can get a decent weld into it. Is there any open diffs with the same casing that use 5 bolt shafts?? I don't want to have to change the prop/shafts/ anything else ideally. I also don't want to fork out for another skyline diff, for this to happen all over again.

2. FraserM

FraserM Member

Okay, easier question, I've got a non abs propshaft, and five stud hubs obviously. From what I can tell, I can use s14/s15/R32/r33 non abs diffs, aslong as I have the correct shafts?

3. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Almost all 5x1 diffs are LSD's

It's normally easier to pull the pumpkin out of the LSD, buy a cheap R200 open diff and do the same, pull the crown wheel off both, weld the open diff centre out of the car (can fit plates in it easier with it out), fit the LSD crown wheel to the welded open centre and refit into the LSD case. But all that will depend on if your crown well is messed up or not