Digital DJ's

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by howler, Jun 6, 2011.

1. howler

howler Active Member

I'm looking for a bit of advice, I'm thinking of moving into the 'digital' age

I mix purely on tunrtables and CDJ's at the moment, but it seems everything is heading towards DJ-ing from your laptop with a controller

It certainly opens up a lot of options, the Native Instruments Kontrol S4 has caught my eye out of all the stuff out there

Has anyone ever switched from Vniyl/CD and regretted it or otherise?

Also, as Technics no longer make 1210's are they worth hanging on to or selling before nobody even remembers what vinyl was?

2. DtheBUK

DtheBUK Active Member

I currently dj (for fun) using traktor

It's good fun but a bit easy imo, I keep finding myself being tempted by vinyl and cdjs but can't justify the cost.

IMO the controller isn't too important. I've got a cheap numark one which does everything as well as my mates one (supposedly the best controller)

Tbh as long as they all have the right or mappable buttons you're fine. Main complaint about tracktor is the pitch control isn't sensitive enough, you can use fine pitch but then
    You might aswell just press the sync button.

Have you looked into serato and shit like that? Why are you converting? So you have a larger collection or because you want a controller?

3. howler

howler Active Member

Not looked at Serato much as I though that was more scratch orientated

I'd like to convert as my musical taste has become much more diverse so going digital allows me to play many different styles without spending thousands on records

I also quite like the sampling, looping stuff etc that Traktor has to offer

It seems to be the way DJ-ing is progressing too, I don't want to get left behind and would like to maybe start playing gigs again

Wouldn't want to turn up with a bag of records for someone to say "Vinyl? What's that then Grandad?"

4. DaveM

DaveM flickwandoops

I've got Serato, it's the bestest thing ever. I used to love buying records, but it cost me a fortune, took up huge amount of time and space, and quite literally is responsible for my dodgy back.

I'd be very sad if I had to give up vinyl control, using a controller purely to control something like Ableton or Traktor seems a very numb and artificial way of doing it. Serato works great with external controllers, bought a £30 Korg Nanokontrol which is great for triggering and altering Serato's internal effects, and just won a pair of Novation Dicers on ebay which look tremendous for triggering cue points and loops quickly.

Also, what's your budget - quite an important question, haha.

Are you sure Technics have definitely given up making the SL1200? That rumour has been floating around the internet for a long, long time, it'd be sad if it's true (mainly because my 12 year old ones that have never been maintained are pretty fucked!). I'll buy yours - £50 OK? :D

5. DaveM

DaveM flickwandoops

Fuck me, SL1210 Mk2s are £675 each! You used to be able to get a pair for that...

6. counteract

counteract -o=me

Vinyl with Traktor is the best, they just released Scratch Pro 2, you should check it out if you already have decks and a good laptop. I use Scratch Pro and Scratch Pro duo, it really is just like using a vinyl, although if you get dusty needles they might start to play backwards. Still, really really good fun.

Scratch Pro 2 as demonstrated by DJ Craze:

If you have the money too, definitely get some kind of sample pad or something. They rock.

#6 counteract, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017
  7. DaveM

DaveM flickwandoops

I respect that Craze is one of the greatest turntablists of all time, but he doesn't half play some wanky music sometimes.

Just going to leave this here, Blakey is a fucking legend:

#7 DaveM, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017
  8. howler

howler Active Member

Budget is kind of based on what I can sell my decks for

I am petty sure that Technics really have stopped, one of the online retailers does not even sell them anymore and that store you found is mega money

I'm like you Dave, my vinyl and turntables take up a massive amount of room in my pokey house

I'm not sure scratch is for me as I do not scratch and probably wont ever do so

9. DaveM

DaveM flickwandoops

I wouldn't sell your decks or your vinyl, I know you'd regret it. How about trying a demo of Traktor and Ableton and seeing how you get on with them?

10. SX_BIG

SX_BIG Active Member

i just solod 400+ of my vinyl and i regret it massivly.

everyday i hear a tune and im like ' hey, i have that on 12"'... 'ah fuckit, no i dont'

dont sell the records.

11. howler

howler Active Member

I think I'll keep the vinyl, I don't think it is going to get me much money

I've tried the traktor demo but I'm pretty limited just using a keyboard and mouse

Part of me thinks the 1210's might be worth a fortune in a couple of years but at the same time I wonder if anyone will be bothered about them them?

12. howler

howler Active Member

13. DaveM

DaveM flickwandoops

Yeah, I'm now looking at getting a pair of old Vestax PDX2000s, they used to be £400 odd each but you can pick up a pair for £100-150 now from the looks of ebay. Then can take apart the Technics and give them a good refresh while you can still buy spares...

14. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

If your switched on enough , I'd use ableton and a few different midi controllers.

The creativity is endless.

15. iwantans15!!

iwantans15!! Member

The Traktor S4 with the Traktor Kontrol S4 Scratch upgrade sounds to me what you are looking for. All the usability of the Technic's yet still using the moderness of the S4.

Could cost 1k plus for S4 and upgrade though. Defo keep your Technic's too ;)

16. Quail

Quail Drifted.com

Vinyl -> CD -> Laptop -> Vinyl & Laptop

All the DJs I know have taken the above path. Digital gets boring after a while, and you miss the tactility of Vinyl. Even CDJs feel soulless after a while.

1210s + Serato/Traktor and you're ready for anything!

17. Mikesx13

Mikesx13 Member

I've gone from Vinyl and CD decks to Serato with Vinyl/CD to Traktor Pro with controller (Hercules RMX).

I only went for the Hercules as I moved to Spain so wanted something small and portable.

From this experience my opinion is that if you ditch your decks in favour of a digital controller you will always regret it, there's nothing like the feeling of vinyl and to be honest I've barely used my controller since I got it as it just doesn't do it for me.

So the best combination for me is probably Traktor Pro with a nice set of decks........BUT If you want to keep up with the up and coming DJ's a set of decks with some tunes just won't cut it any more :no: people are getting more and more creative and using a much wider variety of devices to make live sounds that are worlds apart from just beat matching two songs together. Some of the stuff I see now on Youtube etc. is just ridiculous and you'll never be able to compete with it without lots of money and time invested and an inherent level of creativity waaaaay above the DJ of old.

Edit: Serato is utter shite when compared to Traktor Pro.

18. howler

howler Active Member

Gah can't make my mind up

Like Mike says, you just won't cut it anymore with the new breed by using vinyl

But at the same time I don't want to wish that I kept my technics

I guess the only sensible option is to sell my mixer and CDJ in favour of an S4 or similar

19. Quail

Quail Drifted.com

I wouldn't worry too much about going crazy on the hardware front. Using vinyl through the laptop allows for a lot of manipulation, as long as you have some basic controllers. Got 2 friends with a Space IBZ residency just through good old track selection and silky mixing!

20. AllanOrr

AllanOrr Member

I have been djing in clubs for around the last 3 years now (started djing at 13 now 21) seen few Laptop sets in at the events and nights I play at and I am involved in (Hardcore, Industrial, Gabber, Hardstyle) they dont get the same reaction as a dj using CDJ's or 1210's do cause they focus to much on the laptop screen rather than the reaction on the crowd.
    Granted they are cheaper dont need to buy cds or records dont get me wrong I have CDJ2000's and a DJM2000 and do use the USB to link them, but nothing is more true to yourself than doing a Vinyl set to a packed club in my eyes though again down to the world we are now in not alot of lables are printing their tracks on vinyl now its all digital.
    Again as said above CDJ's will even feel soulless after a while aswell but if you have the space keep your turntables handy :)
    Personaly I wouldnt use Traktor in a club ever maybe in the house to tamper about with it but that would be about it really :) These controllers are good in demo videos yes, clubs no if I seen a dj play out like some of the videos above I would slap them with a CDJ thats my opinion creative dont get me wrong but it doesnt flow right...but this is the ULTIMATE CONTROLLER :D

YouTube - ‪Noize Suppressor present Sonar World Tour -  Official Aftermovie - Event 1 @ Matrixx (NL)‬‏
    YouTube - ‪Noize Suppressor present Sonar World Tour - Official Aftermovie - Event 2 @ Florida (IT)‬‏

#20 AllanOrr, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011