Drift Competition Format

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by JohnJ, Oct 30, 2012.

1. JohnJ

JohnJ Active Member

I'm bored with qualifying runs.

And so are the spectators at my events. I know because they tell me. And I don't blame them. They have to endure endless sighting laps followed by endless solo runs followed eventually by what they actually came to see, the twin drifting.

But how else can it be done?

I had thought about picking names from a hat and getting straight on with the twinning but if you don't start with 8, 16 or 32 drivers you end up with 3 at the end.

Ie, start with 23. One gets a by. 22 down to 11, the by makes it 12, next 6 then 3.

Start with 40. 20, 5, one gets a by, 4 then 2 plus the by makes 3 again.

Any ideas? Anyone seen any other type of drift comp anywhere?

We have a team comp which is brilliant, exciting action from the start. could that be used to qualify you for the twinning somehow?

What do you lot think?

2. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

Start with 23, 9 get a bye (from 32), 16, 8, 4, 2 Grindrod/Joe :D

3. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

Don't think I've actually thought that through :wack:

I'll get back to ya :D

4. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

Yep, 23 to start
    9 get a bye so 14 left to battle
    7 get through. Add to the 9 that got a bye.
    Top 16.
    Is that right or am I being a mong?

5. JohnJ

JohnJ Active Member

Yeah that works Mitch. But what do you do with 33 entrants?

6. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

Break someone's steering arm.

32, 16, 8, 4, 2.

7. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

Or say you're a judge short and can someone help out in the box. I dunno.

8. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

You have to start with even no

So 32 drivers, pull names out of hats for battles...
    That brings it down to 16, 8, and So on.... No?

9. Mashead

Mashead Member

I've often thought about this.

Limit entry numbers - then have it at it from the word go.

Perhaps if you have an awkward number of entrants short/long of 32, then have a couple of 'knockout' battles to whittle it down to a useable number of people. Spectators should go for that? Sudden death, one of these poor sods has driven 4 hours to get here, and now by a twist of fate might be going home straight away as the numbers need to lose somebody.

Sounds harsh, but not dissimilar to people doing real qualifying and not making the top 16 etc

10. JohnJ

JohnJ Active Member

So if I have 40 entries we need to get shut of 8 people so 16 names get pulled from a hat and they battle until we have our 32?

We're on the right track with that.

11. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I agree, qualifying and single runs in general suck ball.

How to do it without though, don't know, not without a football league everyone battle everyone scenario and that would take for ever.

12. kieran_e1

kieran_e1 In need of practice

limit entries to 32. have a few hours free practice, trains etc and rank accordingly. battles , winner

13. MJG

MJG Active Member

What's wrong with single qualifying run with no practice, knock 30 off for a spin, pick top 16? That only takes like 60 seconds per driver and is at least fair.

The only other way is limit it to ODC drivers only now numbers are so massive. Or train stickers only so they can be trusted not to crash and die.

14. MJG

MJG Active Member

Kieran's ideas good. Qualifying through general observations over the day :thumbs: better than my ideas.

15. Drift Dango

Drift Dango Active Member

I thought Qualifying was based on car colours Political views and whos balls you had on your chin at earlier briefing :)

16. JohnJ

JohnJ Active Member

You must be thinking of a different event Karl!

17. Mashead

Mashead Member

LOL. How true

John - my reference was more for if you got 31 drivers or that sort of thing. 40 would be over the cutoff; only advertise 32 places. If people drop out, have a reserve list etc.

If less than 32 drivers, could whittle down a few (would 24 work?). If say 31 drivers, could have a raffle for a wildcard to be thrown back in when needed or something? Somebody clever must be able to figure out a way of doing it . . .

Totally agree in the lack of Quali runs though - get to the friggin action. Plus, some people (I know I do) driver better with another driver to follow, bounce off, run away from; so would be overall better driving I would have thought.

But to then trust people to twin right out of the box, the judges would need an opinion as to whether that driver was safe with others before going out. Like BDC licencing I guess

18. Day

Day Member

Can practice not be used as quali too? Everyone will need practice and it can be used to judge. That way its not as boring as doing quali too and if anyone has any running issues theyre less likely to miss out etc. Itll also mean people need to be on it from the off, possibly making practice more entertaining.

19. Dirrt

Dirrt Delusional Drifters

This thread is awesome as we need a solution, but I can already hear the shit mikes going to get after every fucking event, whether to his face or online or by someone online who said someone else said when they're the one with the problem
    It wasn't fair
    If we had done it this way
    Yada yada yada
    Zzzzzz
    Bore off

I think passenger rides should be done Saturday morning and team comp in late afternoon for anyone to enter (we need teams of 3, no sighting laps, ranks, they just run the track given to them until royal rumble) and customers can come and watch that
    Lets face it, it's the best comp we do now :D

Sunday comp should be only for ODC drivers and caters for more seat time for all during that day

Apart from that idea, I don't have an input as you're always going to have someone complaining or how it wouldn't be fair!

20. JohnJ

JohnJ Active Member

This wasn't about Buxton necessarily Laura, but some valid points.

Sat morning for passenger rides followed by team drifting makes a lot of sense but I still want to get rid of solo qualifying runs.