Drift One Anglesey Circuit Sunday November 18th. Details.

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by JohnJ, Nov 10, 2012.

1. bell

bell Without patience

john, mike, laura, jons wife and all the driftone staff give yourselves a mighty pat on the back!!! today fucking rocked out with its cock out.
    super running and super quick driving and que times.
    also the marshalls from angelsey deserve thanks it was a tad bitter on those hills.
    i hope to god that is a secured track as i personally cannot wait to go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Andy_F

Andy_F S13+S15=S28?

Wow, what a place. Easily one of the best drift days I've done. The east track was the shit and it was really good to see some old faces again.

Hope anglesey don't mind too much about the grass though, that shit was getting everywhere.

Next time I need a diff that actually locks. Stock s15 helical is CRAP.

3. oxam

oxam Member

Best drift day ever! had so much fun, can't wait to get back! big up to the organizers, the marshalls and all the guys driving today!

4. owen_sr

owen_sr Member

Lovely track, really well organised event and loads of good drivers out today. My best drift day so far, by far! Many thanks to everyone who made it happen.

5. Starkey

Starkey Administrator
    Staff Member

6. Tony N

Tony N Member

Top notch day, hope it becomes regular!

7. MJG

MJG Active Member

John will be along later for the "official" Drift One view and he's spending the morning at the track speaking with the owner so hopefully it will go well from their point of view.

Personally, I had an amazing day. I was REALLY excited when John first said we could run a test day at Anglesey and we all worked really hard to make sure it was going to run excellently. First day at a new venue could be rife with problems though, so I was also anxious.

Saturday afternoon arrival went well and it was great to see some eager faces turning up early with us, the weather looked good and our small group of track walkers I think all got VERY excited with me ready for Sunday's antics. Sunday morning arrived, more drivers, pits are busy, getting nervous but we had a plan. I got in the hilux and toured the tracks with some fellow helpers (thank you) and made sure everything was going to run as best as we could get it. John arrived for the drivers brief in the PACKED on site bar and we arranged to give all 80 drivers a sighting lap of each circuit. It took a little while, needing FOUR trips but between us everybody got a sighting lap who was there at the start (approximately 60 drivers) and the realisation struck that this really was going to be the best drift day in the UK... EVER!

The gate marshals were on post, track staff were ready, and we got on track by just after 9:30am. The first cars nailed it off from their start points and the words over the radio "EAST TRACK NOW LIVE"... "HAIRPIN NOW LIVE"... and my own call "WEST TRACK NOW LIVE"..... WOW. Shit got real.

We had a few recoveries in the morning which had to stop the tracks, and the standard good practice of checking each collision over with the medical team started to cause some delays. With excellent negotiations between John and the track staff we managed to minimise these delays by lunch time and the track time was just rediculous. At worst the queue for the hairpin reached 3 minutes, and there was essentially no queue for the east or west tracks all day apart from when we had to recover a car stuck on the marsh-like grass haha.

There were a few collisions, but thankfully nobody was really injured and everybody was smiling even when their cars were the wrong shape.

A problem became apparent quite early on though - the TYRE VAN! We had hired a tyre van as John's own tyre van had seen better days and we questioned it's reliability, but it seems the trusty garage machine - mounted in a rusty old transit, was actually quite a good asset. The poor tyre guys were struggling with everybody running stretched tyres and massive wheels, resulting in a huge queue as well as some people even being turned away due to having 18x12s :( This made us sad, and despite our guys trying their best to manage it, it just wasn't acceptable. Truth be told, we have never run an event on a high speed circuit with 80 drivers killing tyres left right and centre, and all we can do is apologise to those who had a bad tyre changing experience and pledge that it'll never happen again! I think multiple tyre vans are required and obviously machines which can change retard-sized wheels and tyres.

We also know a lot of less experienced drifters were on some of the big tracks possibly a little out of their depth. Whilst we tried to manage most of these people and give them more practice time on the hairpin, it still caused a few delays. We don't want to be nazi's and alienate those drivers who aren't so experienced, but we will certainly try and manage these a little better next time to make sure everybody gets the best possible day.

Anyway I've blabbered on too much already, but just THANK YOU to all those who supported the event. I'm not sure any "first" event has ever been so busy or so successful and it's down to the trust you all placed in the hands of us at Drift One. So thanks to all drivers for behaving, having great attitudes and making the place so friendly, thanks to Marty and the other guys who took time out to capture some footage and photographs to help share the day, thanks to all the marshals and Drift One staff who made the day run almost perfectly, and thanks to the Anglesey staff who were excellent and really welcomed us at their venue.

Finally - thanks to Jonathan Jones aka JohnJ who made this all happen and spent so much time and effort to make sure the DRIVERS all got the best possible day. I'm just so proud to have been a part of it. Here's hoping to a happy future at Anglesey... If they aren't too made about us churning up their grass! :wack:

8. SdR

SdR Active Member

This was such an awesome event!! Having just had the car built and its first shake down on a track 320miles from home was making me abit nervous without a doubt, with the added worry of gear changes from 1st to 3rd all crunching when abit of boost was applied made me think i wont be comin home due to a blown gearbox....But i played safe with 2nd and it lasted, plus some mega manji's helped link it up and not bounce off the limiter!! Lol.
    Really hope there will be more at Angelsey as its just awesome!! Many thanks to getting this sorted for us all!!
    Good to catch up with some old faces!
    Cheeeeeeers!!

9. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

Had an amazing day, as it was the first practice day I have been to this year I was hoping for it to be good and I was not dissapointed. Cant wait to get back there and kill more tyres. Just a shame about me backing up the tyre van with my collection of wheels...lol.
    My car was running faultless all day, it was nice just to have a chilled out no pressure blast round the tracks.

Only had 2 off the track moments, 1st going a bit too fast on the fast track running a bit wide and my tyres delaminated big time..lol bit of a rally car moment :)
    2nd on the slower track I filled the car up with so much smoke I couldnt see the steering wheel let alone where I was going and found myself running on the grass at the end of the track hahaha.

Brilliant day and I cannot wait till the pics and videos start rolling out.
    Massive thanks goes to John and the drift one crew for putting on a brilliant day!!!

10. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

Where can i find the photos you've taken Marty :)?

11. victim

victim Bimmer Skidder

I know it's been said a million times but WOW! What an amazing day! Even from a spectators point of view. If this becomes a permanent fixture I WILL be pricing up weekend hire of a flatbed/beavertail :) Awesome awesome day guys!

12. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

if anyone has any pics or vids of the 300zx could you let me know, would love to see what it looks like from the outside

13. f0xy

f0xy Member

I got quite a few of it on both circuits, looked amazing. Great driving. Il make a thread later today.

14. Drift Dango

Drift Dango Active Member

Any of taxi green thing when I was using the new rubber=smokey let me know

15. nootty

nootty Active Member

What a weekend,
    Ok so up at Anglesey circuit,mid november,
    new event,
    fully booked drift practice day,
    Two megga fast tracks laded out and some where to practice
    Entries all at one event, sooooooooo good,
    massive well done to jhon at drift one for putting on such a good event, roll on next year for more of this :)

16. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

i dont even know where to start, obviously, living hearing distance from the track my whole life. For the Last five years i have wanted to drift it. On driftworks i banged on about how good it would be, and im so glad that now Driftone have managed not only to make it viable. but the biggest succsess.

it was just so good, the smaller track (which i REFUSE point blank to call tight/technical, as it is bigger/faster then most UK tracks) was amazing. and the bigger track was. just mental.

I really enjoyed the day and i hope so much that these car on, i cant imagine what madness can go down at this track once everyone gets it nailed, 10 car trians like buxton, but on this track???? mind blowing possiblities.

any issues have already been brought up and what i like is that the guys at driftone always make the effort to improve it for next time. the track layouts/organisation was perfect.

Best drift practice day ever. i dont think there is even a need to have comps at anglesey, when practice days are that good.

Well done to everyone who made this happen, haydon, john the circuit people. and the driftone staff. next time, im going to being a shit load of brand new tyres. going 4th gear with mismatched tyres at stupid speed was abit sketchy! but awesome fun.

Massive props to Matt in the 300zx, he ripped the track up so much, anglesey has sunk...

well done to all.

17. chr15_84t3

chr15_84t3 Member

Awesome day out! Just awesome! Massive thanks to Hayden and John for setting up this event at my home circuit and to the DriftOne and Trac Mon staff for running such a smooth operation. Had loads of seat time in the morning, and loved every second of it, typically i broke down just before lunch, but still had a great time in the afternoon seeing familiar faces and catching up and meeting new people. Also thanks to Greg(?) in the 4 door r34 who gave me some clutch fluid to try and help get me back out on track.

I loved it, my friends and family spectating loved it, and i can't wait to get back there and drift it again :)

18. Hudson.

Hudson. JIBES

Sounds like it was a good event! Nice one, looking forward to the next one so i can have a go.

Hopefully see some good vids and pics!

19. lowroller

lowroller New Member

Of course your enthusiasm has nothing to do with not having to camp on gravel mate ;), I think you were behind Nick when he tried to make my eyeballs come out of my ears, saw some great runs of yours from the tower as well. Glad you enjoyed it mate and hope it will be the first of many there.
    Miles

20. Starkey

Starkey Administrator
    Staff Member

"We also know a lot of less experienced drifters were on some of the big tracks possibly a little out of their depth. Whilst we tried to manage most of these people and give them more practice time on the hairpin, it still caused a few delays. We don't want to be nazi's and alienate those drivers who aren't so experienced, but we will certainly try and manage these a little better next time to make sure everybody gets the best possible day."

Where i was standing on the west track taking pictures that was more that apparent. Its hard not to be drift nazi's but it apeared to be the same handfull of drivers/cars that either didnt attempt to drift or drift and spun almost every time causing the train behind them to slow and losing out on drifting the corner. Everyone has to start somewhere i understand but it happened over and over.

But like others have said the day was really good and watching the same drivers evolve through the day made it better to watch :0